any likelihood of ever reconciling conditional order jumps?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

any likelihood of ever reconciling conditional order jumps?

Post by trainrover »

Is there any likelihood that timings associated with jumped orders will ever be reconciled? I watched (18) days' worth of time be immediately skipped by the timer blatlantly carrying an order's last date entry right over and into the subsequent order. I work around this by couching the corresponding days of discrepancy over and additionally into the subsequent station dwell field. Fussily mending the unreconciled discrepancy when the condition happens to not be met (every 21 years or so) just feels silly. Any chance that the complications deriving from this absence of reconciliation might ever be eliminated themselves?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: any likelihood of ever reconciling conditional order jumps?

Post by jfs »

I think you're leaving out some details on your setup that would make it easier to understand what exactly you're doing.

But in general I think it's safest to assume that if you're using conditional orders, everything else about vehicle movement and cargo loading gets weird. Maybe you can argue about what can and will and won't happen. But OpenTTD is not capable of analysing your orders program or the transport network and working out those details about where the vehicle will go, won't go, and how long things will take.

(This is not meant as an attack, I just mean to say, don't have too high expectations of what the game can do when you start writing programs inside of it. There's a decent chance your situation is in fact something that should be possible to handle better.)
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Nothing snarky or whatever about your input. I'm satisfied with my toubleshooting, its incorporation into the group timetabling functions as intended. It's just really queer that the software LITERALLY carries a date over into the subsequent field. After all the quibbling if you will that the game performs over measly currency £$€, it's bemusing to watch it actually fabricate timings...

In the (now-attached) saved game, were you to follow its Aircraft 211 you'd see that that helicopter is somewhat soon to stop inside the heliport hangar: I make it go and then monitor that 22-day stay at the oilfield so that it momentarily be cropped to only 4 days' worth (i.e., 22 days less the accumlated ommission of 18 days' time, right) while that spanking new aircraft is aboard that oil rig...but -- more pointedly -- were you to monitor any of its group, you'd see that each takes its departure date from the Swindon field at take off and plops it into the Bognor Regis Oil Field after passing over that every-21-years hangar, which is why that stay thereafter is abominably padded to 22 days' time...
Attachments
Anglo Anglers, 27th Oct 3000.sav
(6 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

I happened to record helicopter Aircraft 211 where it cues itself in @ about 14:55, although it's late such that I must try properly spacing its group out again:

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

how muddling -- the accumulated time is passed over whether or not the condition is met, so there's absolutely no point after all to my momentarily tinkering with padded time fields

Return to “General OpenTTD”