Ctrl-linking non-adjacent stations: Do you feel it 'cheaty' or no?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pinstar
Engineer
Engineer

Ctrl-linking non-adjacent stations: Do you feel it 'cheaty' or no?

Post by Pinstar »

I'm on the fence about this mechanic. On one hand, it can save a lot of fuss when trying to link boat docks with train stations in a town that has otherwise completely covered the coastline. On the other hand, you can essentially use it to expand your catchment area without the fuss and expense of road vehicles.

I know the main response is going to be "Play how you want" but I'm curious how other members of this community interact with this mechanic in their own games.
Pyoro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Ctrl-linking non-adjacent stations: Do you feel it 'cheaty' or no?

Post by Pyoro »

I certainly don't like "abusing" it. However, since the economics in OTTD are pretty much a joke anyway, and I mostly play for aesthetics, it's not like I'm super fussed about it either. I don't really have a rigid rule; essentially if I feel that within the scale of the game it makes sense for stations to be connected or for something to have a bigger catchment area then it's fine and if not then not ^^;
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Keep in mind that there already is a game setting for how distant you can distant-join stations. Extending the catchment area is definitely "cheaty", but it's also something I was doing in TTD by "walking" stations, before TTDPatch came up with the ability to directly distant-join. My point being that it's an exploit as old as the game.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Pinstar wrote: 22 Jun 2023 13:28 I'm on the fence about this mechanic. On one hand, it can save a lot of fuss when trying to link boat docks with train stations in a town that has otherwise completely covered the coastline. On the other hand, you can essentially use it to expand your catchment area without the fuss and expense of road vehicles.

I know the main response is going to be "Play how you want" but I'm curious how other members of this community interact with this mechanic in their own games.
As mentioned before, if your style of gameplay is "realistic networks" and "aesthetics" you will not care about it much and it will come very handy.

Personally, I'm definitely more strict in my "style handbook" to avoid 90 deg turns, depots at right angle to the track, "spaghetti tracks", and the like rather than joining stations.
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

Personally I love it. It's a little silly and makes me snicker a bit to know that cargo is transported via star trek teleporters for a short distance.

It's possible to entirely disable it in the settings but I've never heard of anyone doing it.
Skarfester
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Skarfester »

It feels like cheating to me, so I try not to abuse it.
One intermediate solution could be to disable distant join and then use station objects to link stations. I know, the result is mostly the same, but at least you are really building one station, you need the space and you have to pay maintenance for the extra tiles. It feels somehow more realistic. Maybe I try this is my next game.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

A possible solution to this problem would be to change the formula which calculates Property Maintenance costs, so that linked stations are far more expensive to maintain than regular stations.
eg if the property maintenance costs for linked stations were exponentially proportional to the number of linked stations this would seriously discourage players from having too many.
It would also solve a problem with some of the AIs who love building lots of linked stations . AIAI is a classic example .
pickpacket
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pickpacket »

mauried wrote: 23 Jun 2023 00:56 A possible solution to this problem would be to change the formula which calculates Property Maintenance costs, so that linked stations are far more expensive to maintain than regular stations.
eg if the property maintenance costs for linked stations were exponentially proportional to the number of linked stations this would seriously discourage players from having too many.
It would also solve a problem with some of the AIs who love building lots of linked stations . AIAI is a classic example .
Property maintenance cost is a setting which can be disabled or enabled. So is the possibility of linking non-adjacent station tiles :) If you don't like non-adjacent station tiles then just turn it off?
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

I feel alright using it in single player. I tend to avoid doing it in multiplayer though, even if its enabled. Too easy to use it to steal other peoples [anything], if you're forced to build away from your target [resource], too easy to do that then build a more local tiny one square thing to connect & get [resource].
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by skc »

pickpacket wrote: 23 Jun 2023 06:45
mauried wrote: 23 Jun 2023 00:56 A possible solution to this problem would be to change the formula which calculates Property Maintenance costs, so that linked stations are far more expensive to maintain than regular stations.
Property maintenance cost is a setting which can be disabled or enabled. So is the possibility of linking non-adjacent station tiles :) If you don't like non-adjacent station tiles then just turn it off?
Additionally, there's a setting relating to the spread a station, which impacts how far apart dis-jointed stations can be.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

To be honest, I don't see the point of the "disjoint stations" setting. It doesn't prevent the players from building a disjoint station — it just makes the procedure a lot more cumbersome. As a consequence, a determined player can still engage in catchment area spreading and/or cargo teleporting.
Captain Rand
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Captain Rand »

"Cheaty"? No.
I guess it depends how you use it.
There's at least one A.I. that spams a town with linked bus stops to increase the catchment area. I usually use the cheat menu (I think of it as the "Advanced Features" menu) to play as that A.I. and remove all the linked stations except the one under the name (I do a lot of "editing" like this).
On the other hand I use this feature to link nearby industries. For example, if there's a cluster of coal mines close together I'll use a linked station tile to connect a mine that's just outside the catchment area of a rail staion serving other mines. I use conveyor belt objects for a visual connection so the whole complex makes sense.
jfs wrote: 22 Jun 2023 14:36 ................. it's an exploit as old as the game.
Please don't call it an exploit. Somebody is bound to come along and remove the feature from the game, and not care how many players they upset.

Pete.
There's nothing like a deadline to hone the concentration.

Good manners cost nothing, but earn respect.

" 'Impossible' is not in our vocabulary." Jack Chrichton, Farscape
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

like many game mechanics, there's a way to abuse it. but not all uses of the feature are "cheaty".
ChillCore
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ChillCore »

as above ... not cheating to me ...

soft-ish rule I apply for myself:
"don't cover the whole city with one station ... but a (multi-stop) bus/truck station across the road is fine"
-- .- -.-- / - .... . / ..-. --- .-. -.-. . / -... . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- .-.-.-
--- .... / -.-- . .- .... --..-- / .- -. -.. / .--. .-. .- .. ... . / - .... . / .-.. --- .-. -.. / ..-. --- .-. / .... . / --. .- ...- . / ..- ... / -.-. .... --- --- -.-. .... --- --- ... .-.-.- / ---... .--.

Playing with my patchpack? Ask questions on usage and report bugs in the correct thread first, please.
All included patches have been modified and are no longer 100% original.
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

I always awoid it. I am trying to link them togather with bus or railway stations
My most satisfying game session.
viewtopic.php?p=1267789
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

I don't think it cheating if your playing a realistic type game.

In real some large stations have many platforms. I'll pick on Sydney, Australia. Platforms 1, 2 and 3 for Interstate trains, 4 to 10 country trains, 11 to 15 metropolitan and inter city trains, and 16 to 25 for suburban trains.
So in game play joining adjacent stations makes it easier to control what trains enter what platforms.
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
goodgame
Engineer
Engineer

Post by goodgame »

imho catchment areas as they are are way too small anyway, it's quite absurd that someone would walk across a 12 or 15 or whatever (depending on settings) tile station to get to the right platform but wouldn't walk a mere five tiles to get to that station. By that logic I wouldn't call it cheating, I'd say it's making the catchment area a bit closer to what you'd expect it to be given how big stations get. That, and without this feature it would be impossible to for example have a tram stop in certain places (that carries passengers and mail) since they can't be curved or on intersections, so sometimes having them a tile apart or smth is the only way to have one.
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

no qualm supposing thereat be conduits in the form of either travelators or pipelines...

Attachments
Screenshot_20230710-181512.png
(4.39 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Personally I prefer to switch this feature off. Beside of obvious cheating with station labels, I feel that I'm cheating whenever placing separate station parts.
With non-adjacent stations off, it is still possible to make station consists of separate parts - just dismantle intermediate parts.
The one quirks is if there is another station adjacent.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Good thing about OpenTTD is we can play it any way we wish .. can be fair Dink-um and play to make money with no cheating or we can play almost like a sand box mode just for the fun. Maybe the codes could put a sand box mode button on the menu with the next update to the game.

Even the The Sims game, I just like to play it to build my dream house with I win lotto.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908

Return to “General OpenTTD”