Group Replace: Any way to do it with rail cars?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Pinstar
Engineer
Engineer

Group Replace: Any way to do it with rail cars?

Post by Pinstar »

I know you can group up trains into a group and then give that group an order to auto-replace engines either to swap to a new model or just replace an old engine.

Is it possible to do that with rail cars?

The situation I'm in is that banks have opened up between two main cities that I'm already heavily servicing with a ton of Passenger + Mail trains going back and forth between them. I want to swap out a single passenger car for a single armored car so that the new valuables good can become part of the regular exchange. But I don't want to mass-send all the trains on the route to a depo to manually refit them. I'd prefer to just tell the system I want to pull a passenger car and replace it with an armored car. Is this possible? (For the record, all the trains have exactly the same number/type of cars)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Group Replace: Any way to do it with rail cars?

Post by Emperor Jake »

You can only autoreplace a cargo-carrying vehicle with another vehicle that can carry the same cargo types. So you can't replace a passenger coach with an armoured wagon that way. Even if you could, it would replace all of the passenger coaches and not just a single one.

A solution would be to use JGR Patchpack which has a template replacement feature, which doesn't have such limitations.
skc
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: Group Replace: Any way to do it with rail cars?

Post by skc »

Emperor Jake wrote: 21 Jun 2023 02:58 ...
A solution would be to use JGR Patchpack which has a template replacement feature, which doesn't have such limitations.
That's if Pinstar wants to move to JGRPP...

If not, the only solution it to manually send each train to the depot and remove a passenger vehicle and replace it with a valuables one - slow and tedious, but the only way to do this particular replacement in 'vanilla' OTTD.

Return to “General OpenTTD”