Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Timberwolf's UK.... trains?

Post by Timberwolf »

Three60mania wrote: 22 Aug 2023 14:59 Found a strange bug affecting almost all tender engines, theres a space between the loco and tender and then an even bigger space between the tender and the rolling stock.

InvisibleWagonsBug.png
Ooh, that's a fun one. Because I added a column to the tracking table for vehicles which have a different speed on secondary power, the lookup for tender lengths got shifted over in a way which didn't immediately cause a compilation failure.

Updated version should be online in the next 30 minutes or so.

EDIT: should now be available. Only the main set needs updating, the addon set table didn't get changed.

And yes, Class 777 is the first battery vehicle! Also the first with a lower top speed on alternative power, hence the above...
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

For the first time, I tried the longest train - Class 373 Old Eurostar. Fantastic, but not so high acceleration, without the ability to reach full speed in Eurotunnel.
Well, I think it is intended to have such "lower" tractive effort to simulate reality. In that case, that's fine, and that's what I want. :D
Class 374 when? :P
Full-speed Eurostar 373 decelerates in Tunnel
Full-speed Eurostar 373 decelerates in Tunnel
Screenshot 2023-12-19 131615.png (20.92 KiB) Viewed 3633 times
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I think in this case the air resistance could be reduced rather than the power/TE increased.

Also, the top speed of the Eurotunnel IRL is only 160km/h :wink:
wazykaz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wazykaz »

Hi, new here - absolutely love your trainset! I was wondering (and sorry if this has already been suggested) if there was the possibility of adding the different lengths of certain classes of multiple units? Really missing the 12-car class 700s and the 11-car class 390s.

Perhaps this could be via a refit option?
Timberwolf
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Timberwolf »

It's an interesting one - when I first created the set it was before variants existed so a lot of the units with different length options were a case of "pick one and go with that" to avoid cluttering the purchase menu or having that situation where you use refits to change the length, which always felt a bit clunky and hard to discover. Maybe one to revisit at some point in the future? (No promises!)
wazykaz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wazykaz »

well.. thank you regardless! I mean personally I wouldn't mind a cluttered menu or a clunky refit option, and I reckon a lot of others would't mind either.... alternatively it could be a setting to have an extended selection of trains? I think you can tell that I'm rather desperate for this option :)
Merchello
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Merchello »

Hi Timberwolf, I was wondering if you are working on any new steam locos in your UK Trains Set, I ask because I'm not up to date with the whole 20 pages of conversations. I would also like to suggest the idea of the GWR Saint Class as they were used for TPO trains. Thanks!
AmbiguousBriton
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AmbiguousBriton »

I feel as if I may be missing something obvious;

I'm having trouble taking advantage of the higher speed locomotives coming out in the 1920s and 1930s because there's no upgrade to the Brake Carriage that allows a speed over 85mph. Is this an intentional choice to encourage players to diversify into dedicated mail trains? I'm playing with ViV so delivering mail is a must and I'm torn between biting the bullet and purchasing a few Halls to supplement the fleet of Kings and Castles I've currently got in service to take over Mail duties on a 4-track system, or slowing all services to 85mph to carry mail. I'm playing with relatively challenging settings so minimizing infrastructure is on my mind along with not mutilating the terrain to support it.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This is exactly one of the reasons why I use other train sets together with this otherwise great set... :(
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

AmbiguousBriton wrote: 10 Apr 2024 16:11 I feel as if I may be missing something obvious;

I'm having trouble taking advantage of the higher speed locomotives coming out in the 1920s and 1930s because there's no upgrade to the Brake Carriage that allows a speed over 85mph. Is this an intentional choice to encourage players to diversify into dedicated mail trains? I'm playing with ViV so delivering mail is a must and I'm torn between biting the bullet and purchasing a few Halls to supplement the fleet of Kings and Castles I've currently got in service to take over Mail duties on a 4-track system, or slowing all services to 85mph to carry mail. I'm playing with relatively challenging settings so minimizing infrastructure is on my mind along with not mutilating the terrain to support it.
Maybe you need complex timetabling, like in real world, how the railway does to let passenger and freight trains run on the same line...
You need to let slow trains stop at a station/branch to let faster trains pass.
However, JGRPP is definitely needed for timetabling.

And moreover, entering into 21st century, you will find the fastest mail wagon (except DVT) is only 110 mph, despite much faster passenger trains. For this reason I contributed my first reply on the forum, but two years later I just found it absurd :lol: - the reason is just no such mail wagons in reality, since the popularity of Internet, no one frequently uses mail service :lol:
But from gameplay-wise, for a game from 1990s when mail was crucial, yes, it is inconvenient. But I have already moved out from that period, and will see "no high speed mail trains" a bonus to stimulate me to do timetabling :lol:
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
JohnFranklin523 wrote: 11 Apr 2024 00:46
AmbiguousBriton wrote: 10 Apr 2024 16:11 I'm having trouble taking advantage of the higher speed locomotives coming out in the 1920s and 1930s because there's no upgrade to the Brake Carriage that allows a speed over 85mph. Is this an intentional choice to encourage players to diversify into dedicated mail trains? I'm playing with ViV so delivering mail is a must ...
... moreover, entering into 21st century, you will find the fastest mail wagon (except DVT) is only 110 mph, despite much faster passenger trains. ... the reason is just no such mail wagons in reality, since the popularity of Internet, no one frequently uses mail service :lol:
But from gameplay-wise, for a game from 1990s when mail was crucial, yes, it is inconvenient. But I have already moved out from that period, and will see "no high speed mail trains" a bonus to stimulate me to do timetabling :lol:
Real world or not, the game mechanics offer post as freight. It would therefore be desirable if there were permanent mail wagons in the game - including in NewGRFs-trainsets - even if they hardly exist anywhere in reality. Perhaps not as wagons for high-speed transport, but as express freight wagons that exists in many sets, simply as a concession to the game mechanics. But 110 mph is IMHO already pretty fast for any freight except passengers and their luggage. :-)

Tschö, Auge

Return to “Graphics Development”