OpenTTD 1.9.0-RC1 released

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 1.9.0-RC1 released

Post by peter1138 »

OpenTTD 1.9.0-RC1 is now available, which means the 1.9 branch is now in feature freeze, so that’s your lot in features! Nothing particularly huge since beta3, but full changelog and download can be found in the usual places.
  • Add: Various AI/GS functions for vehicle groups (#7225)
  • Change: Synchronise introduction date and reliability randomness across vehicles with the same base introduction date (#7147)
  • Change: Allow towns to build bridges over rails and one-way roads (#7291)
And a few minor bugfixes, including missing FreeType support on the Mac OS X build.

Please help with testing, any issues can be reported in the other usual place.

Enjoy!
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
Fanndal
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 1.9.0-RC1 released

Post by Fanndal »

I'm sorry, but I don't know what too download or how to install. I'm using Fedora linux. Please help.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Fanndal wrote:I'm sorry, but I don't know what too download or how to install. I'm using Fedora linux. Please help.
There is no pre-build binary for fedora (which version? it matters!) so far. We have so far no docker build container for it.

You can relatively simply compile it yourself:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD
cd OpenTTD
git checkout 1.9.0-RC1
./configure
make
Building might fail out-of-box if you are missing some of the needed libraries. Install them via dnf, e.g.

sudo dnf install libsdl-devel
I don't know by heart how exactly the packages are called (that differs from distro to distro), but it's easy to figure out by using

dnf search zlib
for instance. Mind, that you need the development versions, usually indicated by -devel in the name. You find a list of needed libraries on our website https://www.openttd.org/development.html

Once successfully built, start the game:

bin/openttd
Fanndal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fanndal »

This worked surprisingly well. Up & running :) Thanks man.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

planetmaker wrote:You can relatively simply compile it yourself:

git clone https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD
cd OpenTTD
git checkout 1.9.0-RC1
./configure
make
Just want to add:

leif@balapapa ~/projects/openttd/tmp/OpenTTD $ make bundle
And, because my KDE openttd menu item always points to '/usr/local/games/openttd/openttd':

balapapa ~ # cd /usr/local/games/
balapapa /usr/local/games # cp -r /home/leif/projects/openttd/tmp/OpenTTD/bundle openttd-1.9.0-RC1-bundle
balapapa /usr/local/games # rm openttd && ln -s openttd-1.9.0-RC1-bundle openttd
balapapa /usr/local/games # ls -l
total 12
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   24 mars   5 11:57 openttd -> openttd-1.9.0-RC1-bundle
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 feb.  25 10:30 openttd-1.9.0-beta3-bundle
drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 mars   5 11:57 openttd-1.9.0-RC1-bundle
Up and running on my brand spanking new Linux 5.0.0 kernel:

/ Linux balapapa 5.0.0-gentoo #1 SMP Tue  \
| Mar 5 10:50:12 CET 2019 x86_64 Intel(R) |
| Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz         |
\ GenuineIntel GNU/Linux                  /
 ----------------------------------------- 
        \   ^__^
         \  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

leifbk wrote: And, because my KDE openttd menu item always points to '/usr/local/games/openttd/openttd':
(...)
That only makes sense when you already have (an older?) OpenTTD version installed - which is not necessary and install destination may vary from distro to distro.

If you absolutely feel that you need to install it, use

sudo make install
Or skip that and - assuming it's anyway only your machine alone - simply hack it and create a symbolic link between your user-local binary to whereever your system expects one

ln -s /path/to/my/ottd-dir/openttd /usr/local/games/openttd/openttd
or better extend your user binary search path to find it.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

planetmaker wrote:
leifbk wrote: And, because my KDE openttd menu item always points to '/usr/local/games/openttd/openttd':
(...)
That only makes sense when you already have (an older?) OpenTTD version installed
Yes, I've had it there for years.
planetmaker wrote: - which is not necessary and install destination may vary from distro to distro.
Sure. I don't recall where Gentoo used to have it. I haven't used the distro version since about 1.4, it was always seriously outdated.
planetmaker wrote:If you absolutely feel that you need to install it, use

sudo make install
Not necessary, the bundle has it all. It appears to be quite equivalent to the old (discontinued) generic Linux binaries. I'm basically using the same installation method that I did then, which was to extract the tar file in /usr/local/games and update the symbolic link to point to the new executable.
planetmaker wrote:Or skip that and - assuming it's anyway only your machine alone - simply hack it and create a symbolic link between your user-local binary to whereever your system expects one

ln -s /path/to/my/ottd-dir/openttd /usr/local/games/openttd/openttd
Basically, that's what I do.
planetmaker wrote:or better extend your user binary search path to find it.
I don't see any reason for that. It's sufficient to include the path in the command line.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

I know it's been mentioned before, but OpenGFX is still missing 4 sprites, both with version 0.5.2 and the latest nightly (which I believe to be v6917, getting it from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/ ... es/LATEST/).
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Note that OpenGFX is not maintained by the OpenTTD developers. You can report this issue to the OpenGFX (and any other 3rd-party baseset) maintainers.

For OpenGFX, this is here: https://dev.openttdcoop.org/projects/opengfx/issues
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Good point, reported it now :)

I found it interesting that there was no such ticket yet, considering that the issue is quite visible on any fresh install...
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Off-topic: OpenGFX is pretty much unmaintained at this point :shock:

Of the original contributors, only Planetmaker is really active at all. I don't think it's fair that any of us expect Planetmaker to take on all the maintenance burden alone. :twisted:

NML is in a similar state.

Coop repos and build farm also are unmaintained, and need a plan for a better future.

OpenTTD dev is super healthy again now, but the wider ecosystem of stuff many of us depend on is pretty fragile.

TL;DR: there are some community / coop projects that need more community :)

If you have useful skills, these are easy projects to contribute to:
  • OpenGFX needs maintained to keep up with OpenTTD features
  • NML needs maintained to keep up with OpenTTD features
  • To continue extending the newgrf spec, both OpenTTD and NML need more test cases, examples and reference grfs
  • NML docs need maintained
  • Coop repos and build farm need a long-term plan to migrate to commodity cloud services, instead of hand-maintained VMs on a specific physical server
Your community needs you :D

As always, the most productive way to get these things done is #openttd irc on freenode
https://wiki.openttd.org/Irc
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

peter1138 wrote:Various AI/GS functions for vehicle groups (#7225)
:bow:
Attachments
horseofadifferentcolour.png
horseofadifferentcolour.png (62.93 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Brumi wrote:I know it's been mentioned before, but OpenGFX is still missing 4 sprites, both with version 0.5.2 and the latest nightly (which I believe to be v6917, getting it from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/ ... es/LATEST/).

Can you (or anybody) provide more info on which four sprites are missing?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

It's the group livery icons which appear in the Colour Scheme window and the group vehicle lists. The OpenTTD sprites match and existing vehicle-group related sprites, and do not fit in with OpenGFX's style.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by planetmaker »

Brumi wrote:I know it's been mentioned before, but OpenGFX is still missing 4 sprites, both with version 0.5.2 and the latest nightly (which I believe to be v6917, getting it from http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/ ... es/LATEST/).
Gwyd was so kind to provide the files for an update which I just committed. Find an update at the link you posted: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/ ... es/LATEST/
An updated release to bananas will follow.
Brumi
President
President

Post by Brumi »

Something about that release seems off... If I download the nightly from the link you provided (which points to http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/nightlies/v4184/, with opengfx-r1070.zip inside), it says that it's missing 36 sprites.
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

planetmaker wrote:Gwyd was so kind to provide the files for an update which I just committed. Find an update at the link you posted: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/opengfx/ ... es/LATEST/
An updated release to bananas will follow.
I downloaded the zip file, extracted it and copied the files to ~/.openttd/data like the readme said (I had no data dir under .openttd, so I had to create it). After which OpenTTD wouldn't start. I tried from the command line, and got this error:

error while loading shared libraries: libfluidsynth.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I checked my fluidsynth installation, and found that it was version 2.0.4. I masked it and downgraded to 1.1.11 (thanks, Gentoo!)

Now OpenTTD starts, but the 4 sprites are still missing.

I don't use sound in OpenTTD at all (got my own Jazz Jukebox, thank you, and the SFX is a nuisance), so do I really need Fluidsynth? And are the installation instructions correct in pointing me to a /data dir in .openttd?
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I successfully got this going in OSX 10.12.6! Yay!

Return to “General OpenTTD”