OpenTTD ported to SkyOS (native port)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

skyos
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD ported to SkyOS (native port)

Post by skyos »

Hi!

I just want to inform you that I successfully ported OpenTTD to SkyOS. (http://www.skyos.org).
This is a native port (not using SDL).

Screenshot:

Congratulations to the developers! This is one of the most portable game I ever ported! Great job!

Does anybody know where I should send the source modifcations to? (If at least someone is interested in it).

Thanks,
Robert Szeleney!
SkyOS - Lead Developer
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Wow, that's cool Robert. SkyOS has everything it needs now that you can play OpenTTD on it! :D

Although you are aware that, in the screenshot you provide, the bottom is slightly cut off obscuring the information ticker, right?
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

make a diff file. If you have used svn, you make one by typing "svn diff > skyos_support.diff"
upload that diff as a patch to http://sourceforge.net/projects/openttd

and the developers will take a look (that might even be me :wink: )

It's a very portable source. I made a working CLI based mac port by adding 3 lines of code. Making it able to start from GUI and removing the hardcoded lib paths took some time though.

[EDIT] : it will be much easier to apply if you use svn and make the diff compared to the newest svn version. I really hope you did so
skyos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skyos »

I used to 0.3.2.1-version. It this version is old already, I could update to a newer version if this makes things easier for a patch.
skyos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skyos »

Btw, is there any way to "slow down" OTT a bit?
Scolling is incredible fast, to fast to scroll just one "page" at once.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Well Robert... how nice... but you are aware that this SkyOS can't be downloaded?

When will it be :D
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

skyos wrote:I used to 0.3.2.1-version. It this version is old already, I could update to a newer version if this makes things easier for a patch.
as a general rule, patches are always easier to handle if they are based on the svn version
I hope you honoured that we tries to keep the code clean of OS specific code, so you should add skyos.c if you have a lot of changes. The graphic display engine should be there (now I hope I don't break everything for you)
skyos wrote:Btw, is there any way to "slow down" OTT a bit?
Scolling is incredible fast, to fast to scroll just one "page" at once.
currently no :(
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I forgot to say, that the developers are reachable on the #openttd IRC channel on irc.freenode.net
skyos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skyos »

as a general rule, patches are always easier to handle if they are based on the svn version
I hope you honoured that we tries to keep the code clean of OS specific code, so you should add skyos.c if you have a lot of changes. The graphic display engine should be there (now I hope I don't break everything for you)
Ok, I will update to the newest version.

Yes, I added a skyos.c file. Indeed, this is the only file I have added/modified. (+ made a own makefile for SkyOS targets)
Well Robert... how nice... but you are aware that this SkyOS can't be downloaded?

When will it be
Once SkyOS 5.0 is finished, there will be a download version again. Shouldn't take too long. :)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

skyos wrote:Yes, I added a skyos.c file. Indeed, this is the only file I have added/modified. (+ made a own makefile for SkyOS targets)
after all the work in joining all the makefiles into one ???
I think it will be easier to maintain if we just add the flag SKYOS instead. That would be fairly simple if you have an easy SkyOS detector. uname or the system variable OSTYPE would do fine

I don't think that would be harder than with MorphOS and that one is supported in the current makefile

I would really hate to see more than one makefile now. Just think of how it would be to add a non OS specific flag if there was one makefile for each OS. There are currently 7 OS flags and with SKYOS, it will be 8. I don't want to maintain that
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I thought that I would have a diff by now, since it should be fairly simple to do.
I can take care of the makefile issue if you give me your makefile and a way to identify SkyOS (uname or OSTYPE)
Of cause I also needs skyos.c in order to add it to svn :wink:
I have also thought about if you should use the newest svn version and if fact, it doesn't matter since you only added one file and I will have to look at the makefile anyway

Still, it will be nice if you got a working svn client for future use. SkyOS should have one/get one if it's developer friendly :wink:
Youlle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Youlle »

robert may take a while creating the diff file as he is the Core skyOs Developer its 99.9% programmed by him and is all his own code, he ported OpenTTD during freetime from SkyOs and Work
MYOB
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by MYOB »

Robert - you did notice you have some slightly odd colour conversion issues there? Theres a little too much black on the crops in the fields and the farm building, for instance. Nothing too serious though.
skyos
Engineer
Engineer

Post by skyos »

Yes, I just fixed it. (It was a problem with a signed/unsigned conversion). :)
mispunt
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mispunt »

Why aren't you just using sdl?
Youlle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Youlle »

from what robert has said its to do with performance, to get better performance he's created a native port using the SkyOs API / GFX system SkyGI.
MYOB
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by MYOB »

Native graphics will always be faster than SDL, particularly if the SDL port isn't great. BeOS has an excellent SDL port, don't know about SkyOS though, but native graphics would probably be ~50% faster..

Robert - you said on the SkyOS forums that the game is running too fast - the game runs at the same speed unless you turn acceleration mode on. It shouldn't be running any faster, unless theres a weird port issue
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Interesting - I'm quite surprised such a small team of developers could make such an OS - especially with some of the more computer science/engineering - related stuff such as journalling and security. Quite impressive. Any chance of ReiserFS support?

Looks like a cool OS, I might give it a spin sometime, even though it's a fairly new OS.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
MYOB
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by MYOB »

CobraA1 wrote:Interesting - I'm quite surprised such a small team of developers could make such an OS - especially with some of the more computer science/engineering - related stuff such as journalling and security. Quite impressive.
The journalling they got from OpenBeOS. The "SkyFS" is OpenBFS,
Zahl
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zahl »

Wow, SkyOS looks really nice, I'll give it a try asap :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”