OpenTTD 1.4.2

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 1.4.2

Post by planetmaker »

It's weekend and time to play. Maybe a new game with the brand new OpenTTD 1.4.2?

In the RC2 no major show stoppers were found, so we release this now as stable version. See the changelog here.
If you find any bugs, please tell us and report it in our bug tracker. Otherwise enjoy and possibly tell others :)

Enjoy,
Your OpenTTD team
andapali
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenTTD 1.4.2

Post by andapali »

Hi!

Is there any option to build in pause mode or it is a feature in 1.4.2 that it is not allowed? I cant find it neither in cheat nor advanced menu.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

pause_actions.png
pause_actions.png (22.17 KiB) Viewed 3966 times
Bottom option (1.4.1, so it should be in 1.4.2 as well).
Fleashosio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fleashosio »

Hey guys! Love OTTD, and the work you people do is great. Been playing 1.4.2, and haven't encountered any problems that are on the game's end (it's always my own incompetence that causes problems). In fact, in the history of me playing this game, I don't think it has ever had a major malfunction. That's a pretty good track record, and it beats RCT's list, of crashing only once on me in my life. (so protip: dont delete ride exits when the mechanic is doing inspections.) You guys do a phenomenal job of keeping the game working.

I don't really understand the staging between version numbers, though. What decides between going from, say, 1.4.x, to 1.5.x, instead of going to 1.4.x+1? I don't recall OpenTTD being in a stage that was 1.3.9, and 1.4.0 existing simply because thats how numbers work, right? It's not a big deal, but it'd help so that I can better know when the next big version is coming out; really just because I don't want to miss the titlegame competition. :P Because I DO plan to take part in the next one. It was a lot of fun.

...Also if I wasn't supposed to post this here, I do apologize, as I might've have missed something.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Fleashosio wrote:Hey guys! Love OTTD, and the work you people do is great. Been playing 1.4.2, and haven't encountered any problems that are on the game's end (it's always my own incompetence that causes problems). In fact, in the history of me playing this game, I don't think it has ever had a major malfunction. That's a pretty good track record, and it beats RCT's list, of crashing only once on me in my life. (so protip: dont delete ride exits when the mechanic is doing inspections.) You guys do a phenomenal job of keeping the game working.

I don't really understand the staging between version numbers, though. What decides between going from, say, 1.4.x, to 1.5.x, instead of going to 1.4.x+1? I don't recall OpenTTD being in a stage that was 1.3.9, and 1.4.0 existing simply because thats how numbers work, right? It's not a big deal, but it'd help so that I can better know when the next big version is coming out; really just because I don't want to miss the titlegame competition. :P Because I DO plan to take part in the next one. It was a lot of fun.

...Also if I wasn't supposed to post this here, I do apologize, as I might've have missed something.
As to how software version numbers work,a 1.3.9 would have been followed by 1.3.10 rather than 1.4.0 if there were no important difference.(FreeBSD 4.1.1 and 4.2 came out in 2000 while 4.11 came out in 2005,neither equivalent to 4.1.1 nor prior to 4.2).
Sylf
President
President

Post by Sylf »

After 1.4.0 is released, any version 1.4.x are basically bug fixes for 1.4.0. There are no new features introduced until 1.5.0.
OpenTTD development team has been excellent with their release schedule. Since I started playing a few years ago, versions 1.0.0, 1.1.0, 1.2.0, 1.3.0, and 1.4.0 came out on April 1st (or very soon after that date) of consecutive years.

So, OpenTTD introduces a host of new features every year, when the second digit of the version number increments.
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Transportman »

Fleashosio wrote:I don't really understand the staging between version numbers, though. What decides between going from, say, 1.4.x, to 1.5.x, instead of going to 1.4.x+1? I don't recall OpenTTD being in a stage that was 1.3.9, and 1.4.0 existing simply because thats how numbers work, right? It's not a big deal, but it'd help so that I can better know when the next big version is coming out; really just because I don't want to miss the titlegame competition. :P Because I DO plan to take part in the next one. It was a lot of fun.
If the version number is represented by x.y.z, an increase would mean the following:
x. Only happened once in the history of OpenTTD, when the replacement sets were finished. I have no clue when this part is increased, it might even be 1 forever.
y. Includes the new features that have been coded in the last year. Release is usually beginning of April. The titlegame competition, if held, is somewhere in the months before that.
z. Includes fixes for that years release, but no new features.

All versions usually have test releases before that, which are indicated by beta and RC (release candidate). And then there are the nightlies, those are compiled daily and are the latest of the latest. They contain the latest fixes and features, but also the latest bugs, which can then be fixed before ending in a release.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML
chuggles
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chuggles »

I'm struggling to get the latest version working on my Mac - is this a known problem? I'm on OS X 10.5.8
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

chuggles wrote:I'm struggling to get the latest version working on my Mac - is this a known problem? I'm on OS X 10.5.8
Would you mind actually explaining what problems, errors, reports, crashes, version of OTTD, etc you have?

The developers aren't witches, ok maybe some are, but even those aren't millionaires and nowadays electricity is expensive so the crystal ball is in standby mode to save money!
hajo4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hajo4 »

andapali wrote:Is there any option to build in pause mode
While paused, get ready to build, then quickly
* press F1 to unpause,
* click to build,
* press F1 to pause again.
--HaJo
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

hajo4 wrote:
andapali wrote:Is there any option to build in pause mode
While paused, get ready to build, then quickly
* press F1 to unpause,
* click to build,
* press F1 to pause again.
You have to specifically enable this in Advanced Features.
Once More w- Feeling
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Once More w- Feeling »

How could I find out the r-number of what eventually became 1.4.2? Someone posted a proposed patch for an issue I'm seeing, and someone else compiled a build with it implemented, and I'm curious to know how far behind 1.4.2 that build actually is.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the timelines for trunk (usually given with r-numbers) and the release (1.4.x series) diverged a long time ago, with the release of 1.4.0-rc1. all other releases of the 1.4.x series are based on this one revision, you cannot compare it with trunk revisions.

Return to “General OpenTTD”