TTD on Linux?

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

TTD on Linux?

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm now that I have Linux running, I don't want to return to Windows XP every time I want to play TTD... I happen to know that Owen plays TTD in Linux using Wine... I don't have wine yet but I can surely get it (using YaST2?). Now my question is how did you guys do it, IF you ever did it :)

I searched the forums but I can't find any topics about it anymore :o

EDIT: Ah according to YaST2 I already have Wine... :P

And btw, I could always try to use VMWare some time.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Yeah, VMWARE is a reasonable solution. Just install Windows 95 and TTD. You might even get the sound working... It's recommended to run the Windows of TTD though...
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Ofcouse that would mean getting VMWare from somewhere... :P

Nah i'm gonna try Wine first because I saw owen do it... (well... I saw a wine with TTD in it)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Not Wine, WineX. The CVS snapshot I used is here - I don't know if the latest CVS version of WineX works with TT (it probably does, but as this is working nicely, I won't bother trying the latest version just now). Build and install that, then install TT on Windows and copy your installation dir over. (You can't use the TT setup program in Wine/WineX). Then look at this page for how to integrate the registry settings. Then copy the MSVCRT.DLL file from a Windows installation (in your SYSTEM/SYSTEM32 dir) to your Wine SYSTEM dir, and update the Wine configuration file (it's in ~/.wine/, I believe) so that it uses MSVCRT.DLL instead of its built-in version. I then used the ReactOS cmd.exe file (attached) to get a Windows command line prompt, and typed:

SET LANG=english [or dutch, or whatever]
C:
CD \TTWin95 [in my case]
ttdpatchw

(I later created a batch file with this in, and a Linux shell script to start it via cmd.exe)

This is basically what I did, minus all the bits where I tried to get it to work. Good luck. :)
Attachments
cmd.zip
ReactOS cmd.exe
(47.52 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Last edited by orudge on 04 Jan 2004 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

VMWare is a free download from http://vmware.com/ :P
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

orudge wrote:SET LANG=english [or dutch, or whatever]
C:
CD \TTWin95 [in my case]
ttdpatchw

Code: Select all

SET LANG=english
C:\TTWin95\ttdpatchw
There you go, saved 5 bytes for ya :lol:
<!-- End Of Post !-->
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Ah, but what if your current path was X:\home\orudge (which mine might typically be)? It's safer to set the path and directory. (By the way, what about newlines when you calculated your 5 bytes?)
mikeya
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mikeya »

BobXP wrote:
orudge wrote:SET LANG=english [or dutch, or whatever]
C:
CD \TTWin95 [in my case]
ttdpatchw

Code: Select all

SET LANG=english
C:\TTWin95\ttdpatchw
There you go, saved 5 bytes for ya :lol:
You mean: I just made my own postcount go up by one!
Mike,
BobXP
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobXP »

orudge wrote:(By the way, what about newlines when you calculated your 5 bytes?)
Well, the newline between C: and CD is one byte, then CD <space> is another three bytes, and then the last newline is another byte, totalling five.
<!-- End Of Post !-->
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

That's if you're using just CR or LF as the newline character, and not CRLF as Windows does. (As this is under an emulated Windows, it would be using CRLF in this case).

Anyway... back to TTD on Linux discussion please.
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

orudge wrote:I then used the ReactOS cmd.exe file (attached) to get a Windows command line prompt, and typed:
No attachment :(

Thanks for the help though.. I might try it some time :)
Han
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Han »

Owen, the cmd.exe doesn't work with me :(. I can execute it with winex, but it doesn't do anything. Even a simple dir command doesn't work. The TTConfig works normally, but TTDpatch needs the language (it's now en_gb)

I use Mandrake 9.2 and winex 3.1.

Thanks for replying.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Change your lang variable to english (I don't know how experienced with Linux you are, but export lang=english will do) before starting TTD. You don't have to use cmd.exe, I just use it as it's easier IMO. If you export the lang variable and then start TTD, it should work just as well.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

To avoid changing the system environment, or to launch from a single command (which may be necessary to create a clickable button on your desktop), you can just prepend LANG=English (and I think it has to be "LANG" and not "lang" - UNIX is case-sensitive) to the command, e.g.

LANG=English mycommandhere

Also, be warned that libc doesn't like to use these types of language names and will provide you with warning text. This is normal and doesn't mean a problem has occurred.
Han
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Han »

yay! TTD runs now! thanks for the help :-)

one question tho: after a while (sometimes 1 min, sometimes longer) the sound gets garbled. Have you encountered this before maybe?

Maybe it's because of this error? fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403dd058,00010021,2):stub
fixme:mci:MCI_LoadMciDriver Couldn't load driver for type ALL.
If you don't have a windows installation accessible from Wine,
you perhaps forgot to create a [mci] section in system.ini

I've checked the system.ini and I do have a [MCI] section, in which I've de-commented the lines (and copied the files from my win install (mciseq.drv, mciavi.drv and mciwave.drv)

Maybe I'm doing something wrong here?
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Lucky you - I don't even get that far. I get some nonsense involving WM_PAINT when I try to start it, and no screen redrawing. Any suggestions?
Han
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Han »

ok, I've fixed it now (it was something with native/ builtin options and copying the .drv files to system32 together with removing comment from system.ini)

TTD works fine now, except for a somewhat draggy mouse. I can live with that :)
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Do you have MIDI playing? I got those MCI errors (even if I used my hacked dxmci.dll to make it play something else). I won't ever get MIDI to play as the Linux drivers for my sound card don't support MIDI (I did investigate hooking timidity up to /dev/sequencer a while ago, but it all got a bit complicated in the end), but I may be able to get MP3 or WAV working.
Han
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Han »

no, I only have the effects (or is that MIDI?)

in large games (ie with a lot of trains) the game does get sluggish, this time a more unplayable one :(
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Since there seem to be many conflicting methds and details, can people post how they got it to work on the wiki please? Right down to the last detail - the last set of instructions had vaguities.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”