Trains with different speeds on the same line?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Trains with different speeds on the same line?

Post by Eddi »

you, sir, are a "moron" not because you have your own playing style, but because you so agressively dismiss the idea that other people may have their own playing style, with completely different problems to solve.

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, ..."
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Eddi wrote:you, sir, are a "moron" not because you have your own playing style, but because you so agressively dismiss the idea that other people may have their own playing style, with completely different problems to solve.
That seems to be true for multiple people in this topic. Can we please stop the fighting and calling each other stupid/morons now?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

V, I have to disagree with you on the speed limits. They are actually pretty fun, especially if you play with a high cargo multiplier. Choosing your engine for what is most effective in both costs and power is way more fun than just always picking the fastest engines. Inside of #openttdcoop it is quite useless but if you want a fun challenge then wagon speed limits is one of the first options that I would turn to.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Voyager One
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Voyager One »

Basically, a 1000 different choices, a 1000 different people, a 1000 different solutions... :lol:

EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!!! :mrgreen:
Leon

Image Image Image Image
"... all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by..." - John Masefield
V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

XeryusTC: i have of course tried it as well :P just sucks imo
ImageImageImage
TERdON
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TERdON »

Arie- wrote:If someone was to implement ETCS level 3 in OpenTTD... There has been an attempt a half year ago
Nope. That links goes to an attempt to implement ATC. ATC is less complex than ETCS level 3, especially it does not have rolling blocks, but still relies on fixed blocks.
Pottsy
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Pottsy »

My solution is path signals. Like this
P1 =PBS one way eastbound
P = PBS
1P =PBS one way westbound
--- = track
/\ = crossovers

--------P1\/P---------P1\/P---
---------P-/\-P---------P/\ P--
---------P-/\-1P--------P/\1P-
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56094 My screenshots.
Formally know as Pottanda
KittenKoder
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KittenKoder »

Back to the OP:

Middle reversible lane. ;)

Sadly this is the best example I have to show right now. But using the PBS I make the outer lanes one direction using the one-way PBS and the middle one using the normal PBS. The extra lights are because it seems that the path finder is counting those, so it makes them more likely to use it for passing. This particular track has 6 trains, 2 of each of 3 types, express passenger and mail trains between 6 cities actually. You could make sections like that between tracks or entire runs, depending on what your style of play is. I try to play with realistic tracks and stations as much as I can, but due to program limitations and designs, sometimes you have to use your imagination. Real trains are, as one person said, micromanaged along their routes and at stations, so consider your unrealistic portions to simply be that micromanaging. ;) It's a freaking game people, don't take it so seriously.
Attachments
reversibles.png
reversibles.png (73.14 KiB) Viewed 158 times
You gotta enjoy the little things. - Zombieland
buckethead
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by buckethead »

In real life its possible to timetable because you know how much time a certain train needs to get to a certain point, in Openttd where a day is two seconds its really hard to do such calculations..
Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Supercheese »

buckethead wrote:In real life its possible to timetable because you know how much time a certain train needs to get to a certain point, in Openttd where a day is two seconds its really hard to do such calculations..
Daylength patch(es) to the rescue! :D
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton

Return to “General OpenTTD”