IF Chris sawyer ever Wanted to join openttd development...

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: IF Chris sawyer ever Wanted to join openttd development.

Post by JacobD88 »

That's a big "if", CS is apparently not that fond of either TTDP or OTTD, seeing his vision and product as "final" even with the bugs.

If i was able to ask him anything though, it would be to ask if he was willing to work on another TT game taking the best elements of OTTD and Lomo and giving us something new to play with

If i were to ask for something specific for him to do for OTTD it would be a new map array above anything else. A whole new world of patches would come with the possibilities that would open up for us...
Dave

Post by Dave »

Why is this question being asked AGAIN!?
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

Personally, I think Chris got a bit crappy after Locomotion came out and people still generally preferred to play TTDP and OTTD over it. Sure Loco is good, but I (and undoubtedly others) were expecting a little more than we got. (We got a highly modified version of Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 long after that engine was obsolete, and having an even more acute scale issue than TTD)

Happens a lot though. I remember when Armada II came out. We (the community) had modded the buggery out of Armada I, and so in comparison, Armada II seemed a bit, well, pants. Naturally after a few years A2 was similarly modded and we were back on track. What is currently shooting Loco in the foot though is the legal element; We can (fairly) easily implement the things we love about TTDP and OTTD into Loco (Presigs/PBS, larger maps, more vehicles etc etc) but doing so requires editing that would leave such mods unable to be released.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Dave W wrote:Why is this question being asked AGAIN!?
Because peoples ability and patience to use the search function is nigh-on non-existent, and I've come to the conclusion that most of the web-populace nowadays suffer with goldfish-in-a-bowl syndrome...

"That's a nice castle"
"That's a nice castle"
"That's a nice castle"
"That's a nice castle"
and so on...
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

...then it would suddenly start raining tractors.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Surprised no one ever suggests a pilgrimage/crusade to Braco to camp outside Chris Sawyer's house until he makes a new transport game.

He's entitled to his own life guys! Just accept it, he's not interested.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

+Thread rapidly running OT+
Kevo00 wrote:Surprised no one ever suggests a pilgrimage/crusade to Braco to camp outside Chris Sawyer's house
Don't give out such ideas, besides commandeering 153311 to travel to him may be an obstacle that gets in the way of most stalkers :mrgreen:
SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

153311 already stalked Chris Sawyer. Why do you think he made TT in the first place? :lol:
Dave

Post by Dave »

Must we make this any more clear?

He doesn't give a s***.

Flickr

SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

We know, it's just kind of sad that he seems to look on the efforts here with derision rather than pride (pride that his game lives on even 15 years later). Myself, I'd be happy someone else was still playing something I made so many years later. Hell, I'm happy ANYONE plays the mods I make.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

SquireJames wrote:We know, it's just kind of sad that he seems to look on the efforts here with derision rather than pride (pride that his game lives on even 15 years later). Myself, I'd be happy someone else was still playing something I made so many years later. Hell, I'm happy ANYONE plays the mods I make.
End of the day though, its not generating any income for him, and thats more important than if people are actually playing the game.
JacobD88
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by JacobD88 »

Kevo00 wrote:End of the day though, its not generating any income for him, and thats more important than if people are actually playing the game.
This is very true, however, most people would be tempted to make another game for more cash simply as there is a recognisable fan-base out there for that type of game. On the other hand CS made millions from RCT and had a legal battle over both RCT3 and Lomo with Atari, so i guess that would put anyone off writing future games if you already have the cash

Sadly, (O)TTD suffers with the same problem that my other favourite game series has suffered with; X-COM, namely, NO-ONE, not even the original developers, has been able to make a sequel as good as the original. Locomotion is to TTO/TTD what X-COM: Apocalypse is to UFO: Enemy Unknown for me; a great game in it's own right, but to farther step away from the original to make it as fun +in+the+same+way+

I'm starting to think if I'm interested in a game series it's the death-knell for it. Look what happened when i discovered i like Duke Nukum I & II. You can blame the subsequent DN3D and DN:F fiasco on me :wink:
Nextra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Nextra »

JacobD88 wrote:You can blame the subsequent DN3D and DN:F fiasco on me :wink:
I'm still waiting for that by the way. :P
Interested in helping out where ever possible.
Geo Ghost

Post by Geo Ghost »

Dave W wrote:Must we make this any more clear?

He doesn't give a s***.
Unfortunately I've come to believe this may be so after hearing such from many people. And also he hasn't made an appearance before which is s shame.
You would have thought he'd be proud to know there's such a huge fan base behind his game and also that it still lives on.

Would be quite interesting if someone here was actually Chris Sawyer using an alias name. But alas, it seems not which is a shame.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Geo Ghost wrote:
Dave W wrote:Must we make this any more clear?

He doesn't give a s***.
Unfortunately I've come to believe this may be so after hearing such from many people. And also he hasn't made an appearance before which is s shame.
You would have thought he'd be proud to know there's such a huge fan base behind his game and also that it still lives on.

Would be quite interesting if someone here was actually Chris Sawyer using an alias name. But alas, it seems not which is a shame.
He's definitely Lord.

Flickr

SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

JacobD88 wrote: You can blame the subsequent DN3D and DN:F fiasco on me :wink:
No, but now I know your a big X-Com fan too, I shall blame the death of my favourite series on you :P

The comparison to UFo Enemy Unknown and Apocalypse for TT and Loco is a good one, with the exception that Apoc and UFo have less in common than Loco and TT. They are at least set in different time periods, with a different scale. Loco is more or less a direct remake attempt of TT, and ergo it suffers as people will inevitably compare. The X-Com games stand alone as well as a series. Personally I find TFTD more fun than the original, although I play both equally. I guess the setting of the second is scarier for me. (the whole underwater cthulu thing *shudder*)

Anyways, back on topic. I seem to recall reading the foreword in the loco manual written by Sawyer, and I recall him mentioning how people were still playing TT(D) and that he thought this was amazing. Seems a tad schizophrenic to be all "People are still playing my game! Awesome!" and simultaneous "Those heathens have ruined by perfect vision *HAAAATE*". I get the feeling the foreword was perhaps a lie, or he only started hating on the TTDP and OTTD projects once Loco was released and (somewhat) panned.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I'm interested: Where exactly does it say that Chris Sawyer hates the OTTD/TTDP projects because they "ruined his perfect vision" Is it even true?

And another interesting question: Did CS know about TTDPatch while Locomotion was being developed (OpenTTD wasn't mature yet at that point) and why didn't he include any of the popular features that were in TTDPatch (such as presignals, more station styles, etc) Because those obvious improvements were "ruining his perfect vision?" :P

Although, Locomotion does include new features that came to OpenTTD afterwards, like 3rd Rail tracks, stuff other than perpendiular tracks under bridges,..
rdrdrdrd
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by rdrdrdrd »

there are presignals, there just finiky :lol:
May the force be with you.
For little boys, three things reign as supreme attention-keepers: tanks, heavy construction equipment, and trains, we all know why where here.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

SquireJames
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SquireJames »

I have to admit, that was my impression as well. Still, it happened with Armada as well. The sequel came out and had actually REMOVED functionality compared to the original.

Does make you wonder whether it was out of spite ("This is my vision, so screw you!") coding issues ("Feature X would take too much time, so we didn't do it") or Sawyer and his team just not understanding what the TT Community was wanting.

The Right:

- Trams
- More gradients
- New Tracks (3rd Rail, NG etc)
- Dynamic tunnel and bridge building
- Longer timescale
- No Toyland :P

The "lol wut?":

- Larger scale, but SMALLER maps?
- Signaling that is barely improved on the original from 1994
- Buggy airports
- Only 1 climate
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Another problem locomotion has, is that there is not nearly enough variety of vehicles. There are plenty of trains, it's mainly buses and trams that are lacking.
rdrdrdrd wrote:there are presignals, there just finiky :lol:
Is it a mod? I wouldn't know because I haven't played locomotion in a while, and not much either. I jus preferred OTTD's massive variety and great gameplay to Locomotion's superior graphics :P

Return to “Off-Topic”