OTTD+500: READ ME 1ST! The future is now (with some help!)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: OTTD+500: READ ME 1ST! The future is now (with some help!)

Post by dihedral »

SirXavius wrote:But it is what it is. Now other things have grabbed my interest
no harm done :-P
we all have our projects, some even call it 'work' ^^, and work really consumes too much time every day and stops us from having the fun we'd like to have with the OpenTTD code.
SirXavius wrote:but i'm sure they wouldn't have if the idea had been treated differently some moderators (prob'ly a bit too crybaby-ish, but oh well)
note on the side: i'd stop blaming others!
if person A has an idea for person B to code, then it's not percon C's fault if person B aint interested!
yes - they did bundle all your threads into one, but perhaps not to destroy your idea, but because they could see that nothing was going to happen! i'd call that some good foresight :-P
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Reading all this I was really impressed, and hopeful that an interesting new project was starting. Too bad it turns out to just be a well thought out suggestion, in the wrong forum.

SirXavius, this idea is your brain child. If you don't nurture it, it'll die from neglect. But that doesn't mean you have to personally code or draw graphics, talk to krtaylor: he does neither but still manages to keep a whole bunch of projects running (and succesfully!). If you really have a thousand other things going on as you say, it's a matter of priorities. Are those thousand things more important than this? If yes, then too bad, and this thread should be moved to the proper forum. If no, then start feeding it!

P.S. some of the code changes you specified are already achieved in the last version of the spinoff I wrote years ago. Should this project continue, it might be a good place to look.
SirXavius
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by SirXavius »

Thanks for your constructive advice, Korenn and ...... dihedral?! :shock: (will wonders never cease!)

Like i said, i'll come around to it again i'm sure. Maybe by then i'll have better ideas and OTTD's "technolgy" will be more advanced.

Meanwhile, if anyone has little tidbits to contribute (possible artwork or ideas) feel free to pin them here as Geetk Too, even if nobody responds. I'll be revisiting this thread when i get interested again... :wink:

BTW, i've recolored the standard tile sprites, which took all of ten minutes with GIMP. Will save them for later.
Vaulter
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Vaulter »

any progress?
Donoteat
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Donoteat »

Nah, it was a load of hot air to begin with anyway, which, over the course of a year, has cooled off somewhat and is now room temperature air.
maquinista
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by maquinista »

The project was too big.

Is not a good idea to plan a very big project. Is better to do small things. For example, I'm occupied with Spain set with all trains and liveries that I can add. Later, I can try to create a Spanish landscape with houses, terrain, objects... But this is a bit slow.

If I try to create a landcape, industries, trains, houses... at the same time, I would fail in my project.
Sorry if my english is too poor, I want learn it, but it isn't too easy.[/list][/size]

Return to “OpenTTD Development”