Cargo Distribution

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

fonso
President
President

Re: Cargo Distribution

Post by fonso »

Well, I need the savegame to find out more. Can't you upload it to some filehoster?
The guy on the picture is not me, it's Alonso.
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

fonso wrote:Well, I need the savegame to find out more. Can't you upload it to some filehoster?
http://www.datafilehost.com/d/88707119
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Thanks for the savegame. I'll investigate.

Where do those 16 days for linkgraph interval come from? This is the third time I'm seeing this. The default is 4 and that's plenty, but people seem to like setting this to 16. Any ideas?
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

If you set the interval to 2 days and the recalculation time to 1 day the distribution will be recalculated on April 16th and then you'll get more passengers via Ponston Airport at Tonworth Falls. In fact 740, the largest group at that station.
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

fonso wrote:Where do those 16 days for linkgraph interval come from?
I'am using beta 3, is there same default ?
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Yes, the default is 4. You can easily see that if you switch the settings view to "different from default". Maybe I used to have a different default before cargodist was merged ...
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

my config says "recalc_interval = 8" so there possibly were multiple changes in the past
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

fonso wrote:If you set the interval to 2 days and the recalculation time to 1 day the distribution will be recalculated on April 16th and then you'll get more passengers via Ponston Airport at Tonworth Falls. In fact 740, the largest group at that station.
How you did ? When I download save, reduce intervals as you wrote I get 24 pax via ponston on beta 3 and 75 on beta 5. Did you change anything else? Are you looking at Tonworth Falls Airport? When I keep it running I get wild fluctuations from 0 to 135pax.
Is there any way to recognize, if this route is considered as shortest one? i have some feeling, that one stop over wethill is considered as shorter.
Edited: After adding some planes to longer one stop route, I didnt get any single passanger on direct flight. So in my opinion the problem is, that cargo dist is considering this direct flight longer than one stop route. You can see this problem on both white routes from my screnn.
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

I've also set the short path saturation and the demand influence back to default. 250% is way too much for the saturation. Setting it so high artificially extends the first pass of the MCF algorithm where it may create and remove cycles at the cost of the second pass where it distributes the remaining demand. If it creates and then later removes a lot of cycles over a certain link that link may end up with less flow than appropriate as while the cycles are in place other demand may be routed over different links. 80% is quite fine usually.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

fonso wrote:Thanks for the savegame. I'll investigate.

Where do those 16 days for linkgraph interval come from? This is the third time I'm seeing this. The default is 4 and that's plenty, but people seem to like setting this to 16. Any ideas?
I also have 16. I thought it was the default, since I just never touched to that setting. It's just now that I notice the default setting is 4. Note that I use cargodist since years now, so I suppose it is an ancient default setting.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the only way to ensure that all people get the new default setting is to give it a new name.
keoz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by keoz »

Eddi wrote:the only way to ensure that all people get the new default setting is to give it a new name.
Maybee this is not necessary: I guess only people who used to use CargoDist when it was a patch are affected. That must be not so much people.
Patch - Let's timetable depot waiting time with the Wait in depot patch.
GameScript - Searching a new way to make your cities growing ? Try the Renewed City Growth GameScript.
My screenshots thread.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

apparently it's "enough" people to cause support troubles. and cargodist was in circulation for several years, one of the most popular patches in patchpacks.
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

After some investigation I have found 4 routes in my network, which are not considered as shortest route for anyone. Whats wrong?
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Did you decrease the short path saturation now? I'll investigate further on the exact mechanics, but the inflated value there has definitely something to do with it.
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

fonso wrote:Did you decrease the short path saturation now?
No. I only added planes here and there to avoid passangers flying on routes that are not shortest.
One of the "shortest" routes is two stop. Ponston - Wethill - Townworth Falls - Futtown
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

The real reason is that you have station-walked either Wethill or Ponston by about 10 tiles at some point, increasing the distance between them. The link graph isn't updated when you station-walk so it still has the old, shorter distance. Those 10 tiles make the difference here and the route via Wethill appears shorter than the direct one.

Thanks for pointing out the issue.
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

So if I destroy Airport, wait for station sign disapear and build new one, everything will be OK? I was allways wondering how it works when I have large airport and multiple bus/tram stations from its sides.
fonso
President
President

Post by fonso »

Either that or play with this patch and simply do anything that moves the station sign again. The patch will hopefully be accepted in trunk soon.

Edit: Actually it is in trunk now. So with tomorrow's nightly it should just work.
MildaIV
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MildaIV »

Thank you for fix this problem quickly. I will have to start new game tomorrow :)

Return to “OpenTTD Development”