Cindini official release 1.0!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Cindini official release 1.0!

Post by CommanderZ »

Maybe manual industries are at least worth trying. I think you could even "include" the grf into the map (so it would be loaded and used if the player has it on disk, a little harmless error message would appear otherwise).
hempa
Engineer
Engineer

Post by hempa »

CommanderZ wrote:Maybe manual industries are at least worth trying. I think you could even "include" the grf into the map (so it would be loaded and used if the player has it on disk, a little harmless error message would appear otherwise).
Thank you, CommanderZ, that one did the trick. I will start up my little logistics company now, and see how big it can become :)

Edit:
Oh, and a question to the author.

Just north of Puerty Carima, there is a valley, the Bonaco Wasteland. In there, there are two lumber mills that... have no wood to work on. If it wasn't for the manual industries grf, they would shut down the instant I unpause the game ;)
Last edited by hempa on 06 Feb 2009 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
Benny
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Benny »

There is a lot of dry rivers and lakes, I think that i found about 4-5.

But the map itself is just AMAZING! The level detail is just AWESOME! :shock:
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

After some playing....

1) Why exactly are there the wooden bridges in the middle?
bridge.png
bridge.png (39.41 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
2) What does "El Nazi" supposed to mean? I though "El" is in Spanish some sort of article and Nazi...ehm.

3) Why do you use (wooden!) bridges on exits from the intercity roads?
bridge2.png
bridge2.png (18.63 KiB) Viewed 4138 times
4) How do you make these sea-level beaches? (And why some are sea-level and some not)

5) Tubular bridges in 1950?

I know, I am really nitpicker :P
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

The author already explained those wooden bridges (your question #1) here:
Whopper wrote:It's on purpose :) Tilegro is the capitol city of Rutanio, they had a long war with Impiriata. Before the war Tilegro was a powerfull and prosperous nation, but during this war many strategic structures had been destroyed and the country felt into economic decline. Unlike Impiriata they were not able to fully recover from the war, wich I represented by the absence of modern buildings and by the Bridges that are still not properly rebuilded. If you go to the city of San Medina (see map) you will find another bridge that is partly red steelwork and partly rebuilded with a low wooden emergency bridge. It's up to the player to restore Rutanio to it's former glory :)
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Whopper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whopper »

1) Read an earlyer post :) (concerning bridges in Rutanio)

2) Not all names have strict meanings :P, a lot of town names come from imaginary words from the Native tribes. Don't exactly remember how I came up with that townname but it certainly wasn't ment to refer to Nazi germany. Possible explanation: the map was partly made in Tanzania, so I might have altered the Swahili word "Nasi" (With us) and mixing it with Spanish (Cindini is ment to be a continent between Africa and South America).

3) The quality of the roads in Rutanio supposed to be badly maintained, adding small bits of wooden bridges will speed down any trafic riding over the road representing this. Besides that I thought it also made the road look older and less modern :)

4) Sea level beaches are the beaches I made later on in the proces, first I just made a stroke of desert near the coast. Later on I found out a better way to represent beaches. I made a stroke of land equal to the sea level, then I added a stroke of river (wich wass added in later patches so it was not possible when I started) wich would prevent the sea level desert ground to be filled with water. Redoing all old beaches is just too much work for now :P

5) Ye, the year should be higher then 1550, it's ment to be somewhere in the year 1990 or 2000. :wink:
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Do you plan to use rivers in the next version?
I mean, the map is wonderful, but I think it is too much flat because you needed to keep the rivers at sea level or use canals to simulate lakes

I love this map, it is really well done and it shows all the story behind it
Seem impossible you were able to build the cities with expand-delete-expand again to get the right buildings in the right places, I tried but I didn't get anything good as you got, maybe I miss fantasy :P

For your information, I like to design scenarios too (but I don't have enough patience) so I planned to improve the editor with some new tools like cut mountains and fill gaps which are already coded but need some optimisation and I think I'll add at least an oval shape for the terraforming, smooth and dither tools which might work on a defined area or the entire map and some other little things (like setting a start and end point for rivers and let the game place it for me every time with a different shape)
If you are interested on this I suggest you to beg me often and suggest me other things which may fit in an improved editor patch, this because I tend to loose interest on things when I don't have enough feedback
Elukka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elukka »

That's... awesome. Haven't played much tropic scenarios, guess I should now. :)

One thing, though. I don't think you need those green one-way arrows on every road piece, just the first one after an intersection.
Hamilton2007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hamilton2007 »

Very nice scenario, altough i deleted all the industry's and added the ECS grf's. Also some vehicles/trains grf's and basecostmod.grf.

The roads i changed with traffic.grf, i just like the black roads with yeloow lines on it.
Moriarty
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Post by Moriarty »

Whopper - I was just interested because I'm currently studying map making, though I don't use photoshop etc. I tried to use it today and couldn't even find the "draw line" tool. :-)
Thanks though, and nice work.
Dimme
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dimme »

Wolf01 wrote: If you are interested on this I suggest you to beg me often and suggest me other things which may fit in an improved editor patch, this because I tend to loose interest on things when I don't have enough feedback
Some kind of simulation of rivers eroding the terrain for thousands of years (making river-valleys) would be great (including auto-placement of rivers). And an ice-age, that first makes U-shaped valleys and fjords, and then lifts the terrain (when the ice disappears). Not an easy task, though.
Try my modular airports minigame!

CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Dimme wrote:
Wolf01 wrote: If you are interested on this I suggest you to beg me often and suggest me other things which may fit in an improved editor patch, this because I tend to loose interest on things when I don't have enough feedback
Some kind of simulation of rivers eroding the terrain for thousands of years (making river-valleys) would be great (including auto-placement of rivers). And an ice-age, that first makes U-shaped valleys and fjords, and then lifts the terrain (when the ice disappears). Not an easy task, though.
Download the Wold Machine program. It is a third party heightmap maker. It has great implementation of erosion with many parameters. Its free version can make heightmaps of size up to 512*512 IIRC, for larger maps, you need to pay some $$$.

Whopper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whopper »

The problem with rivers is that they don't have the nice border graphics like the sealevel rivers, just some connected blue squires don't give a nice wild river look i.m.o. . I even prefer the channels as they do have some sort of "border" around the water area. It would also be nice if the river showed some kind of current when a river changes from altitude.

@ hempa, the lumber mills are ment as eyecandy, to show the cause of the encroaching desert. All over the Rutanio Island you will find these lumbermills in the middle of the desert, it suppose to give the impression that Rutanio used to be a large rainforest just like the Impiriata mainland.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Whopper wrote:The problem with rivers is that they don't have the nice border graphics like the sealevel rivers, just some connected blue squires don't give a nice wild river look i.m.o. . I even prefer the channels as they do have some sort of "border" around the water area. It would also be nice if the river showed some kind of current when a river changes from altitude.
It does, you must just download river GRF. Then rivers will have shores and rapids will be shown where the river changes height ;)

EDIT: Its here
Whopper
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Whopper »

That one was made just for the temperate climate, won't work on this map. (or I must be doing something wrong :) )
Elukka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Elukka »

Hamilton, any chance you could put up your ECS version of the scenario somewhere?
SirkoZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SirkoZ »

CommanderZ wrote:Maybe manual industries are at least worth trying. I think you could even "include" the grf into the map (so it would be loaded and used if the player has it on disk, a little harmless error message would appear otherwise).
Some might like "manual industries" NewGRF, but it's only a temporary and very lacking solution.

We need a good solution for non-closures of all production/processing industries that will work with smooth_economy, preferably a switch because most people use smooth_economy.

BTW - I'm the guy who set out to make an industry non-closure newGRF, but a half-assed solution that will only simulate smooth_economy (with callbacks 28/35) is simply unacceptable. Therefore I wrote a feature request on Flyspray bugtracker: HERE. Please vote for implementing a non-closure switch.
Hamilton2007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hamilton2007 »

Good idea SirkoZ!!
sean16
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sean16 »

Awesome map, amazing detail. My only critisism is that there is nowhere to build stations without demolishing hours worth of perfectly placed buildings and parks. ;)
formerly known as seandasheep
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

seandasheep wrote:Awesome map, amazing detail. My only critisism is that there is nowhere to build stations without demolishing hours worth of perfectly placed buildings and parks. ;)
You should build airports and rail stations only on the outskirts of towns and use bys/tram feeding services to get passengers to them.

Return to “General OpenTTD”