FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Supercheese
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: FIRS Industry Replacement Set - Development & Translatio

Post by Supercheese »

NekoMaster wrote:Also, since there arent many places to process fruits & vegetables, what about making the grain mill (aka Bakery) into a Food Processing plant to handle fruits & vegetables and grains, then they can make things like fruit snacks and raisin bread and vegetable crackers :p
This sounds like a good suggestion. It'd be neat if fruits and veg could be delivered directly to stores, but they already accept 3 cargoes, and I suppose it's not possible to add a fourth...
Eyecandy Road Vehicles | Fake Subways | Supercheese's NewObjects

"Fashions and cultures change, but steam trains shall always be majestic."
-Professor Hershel Layton
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Fruit and Vegetables will be changed in FIRS 0.7 (I changed it in nightly builds recently).

It becomes just 'Fruit'. There are some changes to other industry so that Fruit can be delivered to more places.

http://tt-foundry.com/sets/FIRS/schema/ ... _7_release

Current nightly is not savegame safe with 0.6.x (dairy graphics will be mixed up).
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Why not just call F&V "Produce" to cover all sorts of fruits and veggies like potatoes, corn, apples, banana's etc.

Also, how about climate specific graphics for the fruit plantations? Mmm... pineapple bushes and banana plants for tropic games
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
mrMann
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mrMann »

I'd call it Organic Produce, as Produce could be seen to some as not just being food, but that's just me.
Hmm, what should I put here...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Produce isn't a bad label for it actually.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

i have no idea what "Produce" means, but i wouldn't ever associate it with food... i don't see a problem with calling it "Fruit"...
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

Yeah, "produce" would be much too generic in this context. But using FRUT as a label for "fruit and vegetables" makes sense, especially codewise.

regards
Michael
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Produce is a generic term that covers fruits and veggi's, and since veggetables are still used to make food (pizza, pasta, crackers, meat pies, etc)
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
oberhümer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by oberhümer »

(Ah well, a bit too late...)
Webster's wrote:produce [...] 8. -n. something produced; yield; esp.fresh fruits and vegetables
Railroad Tycoon 2 also used it in this sense. I think it fits.
--- Licenses: GNU LGPL, version 2 or newer, code and graphics. CC-By-SA, graphics, alternatively. If you're using any, I'd like to hear about it --- Call them "track types" ---
--- Mostly inactive developer for: NuTracks - Central European Train Set --- Running/compiling for: Linux (x86) - Android - Windows (32/64 bit) ---

--- Need a file packer? 7-Zip --- BOINC - use your computing power to benefit science --- Block trackers, not ads --- Unix in dispersible pellets, the formula for the future. ---
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

Hello,

I like your new GRF industries, I am a fan
It's great there are new industries for new cargo
But I do not know if we have already said, but you thought
to do construction stages for new plants because it is a bit harsh when you see financial / built the new industry which is already built, of course using "?" You can see if it is still under construction, but its would be great if he steps constrution of the plant, sorry if already know say.I know a GRF of industrie or are stages of construction of the plant.

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
Digitals
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Digitals »

Okay, thank you and good game

Sorry for the inconsistencies of my messages,but im French
lawton27
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lawton27 »

andythenorth wrote:Been working on improving the windmill. Less square. Square windmills have certain problems :)
I quite liked the square one, perhaps you could keep both and have a random choice on each industry?
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

Having my little sister play OpenTTD for a bit I realized FIRS wasn't translated to Finnish. I'm no professional in this field but I wanted to provide at least a rudimentary translation. Things I likely got wrong:
  • I could have cloned a git repo and provided a patch but you're using mercurial
  • I used UTF-8 (without BOM), from what I read that should be ok
  • "So if you're translating to Swedish for instance, <id> equals 2E and thus <id+80h> equals AE, so in that case use "04 0B AE" for the replace." - How the hell does 2E and AE make "04 0B AE"? I don't get that part - regardless, I think I got it right in the .pnfo
  • I didn't check for duplicity with the original cargo abbreviations. Sorry!
  • Engineering Supplies is kind of a simple thing to say in English, but doesn't translate so well into Finnish... So I called it the equivalent of "spare parts", considering they're made at the machine shop and need to be supplied in small amounts regularly to a variety of industries. A whole engineering vehicle probably couldn't be considered a "spare part" but I figure the graphic is at least somewhat symbolic... If you could help me understand what exactly are engineering/farming supplies I might do better here. Could they simply be "tools"? Or "machines"? (industrial connotation) I've yet to play FIRS extensively enough to have good intuition about what "manufacturing supplies" are either :oops: Looking at the list of industries, I reverted to "packaging materials" (which manufacturing supplies used to be at some point, to my understanding).
  • I have no idea what plant fibres are or how they relate to plastics. I couldn't find a suitable term either. For now it's "organic fibers" (as opposed to synthetic ones)
  • Fruits and vegetables didn't seem to have an abbreviation at all?
  • There's a couple of inconsistencies, like how "plant fibres" is plural but "sugar beet" is not (as if its a homogenous mass rather than whole vegetables. It's weird, like saying "crates of carrot" rather than "carrots"). I tried to adhere to convention anyway. Is "fish" a generic aggregate for all fish, or "fishes" as in different types (like "fruits")? The former sounds better to me. Why is "chemicals" separated as in different chemicals, while "metal" is generic, single type of metal (and not "metals")? etc.
  • Finnish doesn't really have distinctions for different kinds of farms. There's no "arable farm", just a "farm" that farms crops (if for some reason you wanted to specify exactly what it was farming). Luckily dairy farm is an established term, but "sheep farm" is pushing it. Ultimately I had to name "arable farm" and "mixed farm" identical, just "farm".
  • A lot of the "plants" are more like "factories". The translation for "plant" doesn't sit well here, it's mostly used for utilities and commercial sites - wait, why does the aluminium plant produce steel? Yet there's a separate steel mill... oh does it get replaced later?
  • Builder's yard is more like "construction site" now, I wasn't sure how else it should be; What exactly does the builder's yard do?
  • With some of the industries not drawn yet, it's difficult to discern how they translate; E.g. how large of a store a "retail market" is exactly
  • Iron works and recycling depot don't seem to exist
  • Stumped as I am, "supermarket" appears to be a legitimate Finnish word. I've always used the allegedly informal "supermarketti". Going with the consistency principle I still used the former, even if it sounds weird as hell
  • Being far from perfect of a job, I'll need to see it in action to make corrections
  • TEXT_CRG_FRUITSANDVEGETABLES_CARGOAMOUNT refers to "fruits" but TEXT_INFO_5T_PER_8T_FRUITSANDVEGETABLES mentions "fruit" delivered. Once again, I adhered to convention despite the inconsistency
Also, FYI, I'm still up for anti-aliasing the rest of the sprites once everything is finalized :wink:
Attachments
35_finnish.zip
FIRS Finnish translation
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
as
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by as »

Some quick comments:
"So if you're translating to Swedish for instance, <id> equals 2E and thus <id+80h> equals AE, so in that case use "04 0B AE" for the replace." - How the hell does 2E and AE make "04 0B AE"? I don't get that part - regardless, I think I got it right in the .pnfo
B5 is correct
Finnish doesn't really have distinctions for different kinds of farms. There's no "arable farm", just a "farm" that farms crops (if for some reason you wanted to specify exactly what it was farming). Luckily dairy farm is an established term, but "sheep farm" is pushing it. Ultimately I had to name "arable farm" and "mixed farm" identical, just "farm".
I don't see anything wrong with "Lammastila" for sheep farm, Google shows that it is widely used. I think "Viljatila" could be used for arable farm, it is not perfect but better than using same name twice.
"Kalastuslaituri"
maybe Kalastussatama would be better?
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

"So if you're translating to Swedish for instance, <id> equals 2E and thus <id+80h> equals AE, so in that case use "04 0B AE" for the replace." - How the hell does 2E and AE make "04 0B AE"? I don't get that part - regardless, I think I got it right in the .pnfo
i think you're just reading it wrong. it says 2E + 80 = AE. the "04 0B" come from somewhere else, which is not mentioned in this phrase, and i'm too lazy to look it up. it's likely something like "action 4 [provide text], feature B [for industries]"
Core Xii
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Core Xii »

as wrote:I think "Viljatila" could be used for arable farm, it is not perfect but better than using same name twice.
I could get behind that, it just sounds somewhat forced.
as wrote:maybe Kalastussatama would be better?
Agreed, I was actually picturing some other (older perhaps), much smaller graphic that depicted a single pier.
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

as wrote: maybe Kalastussatama would be better?
Or just "Kalasatama"?
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Core Xii wrote:If you could help me understand what exactly are engineering/farming supplies I might do better here.
Engineering supplies are machines (e.g. cranes, dump trucks, generators, drill rigs), fabricated metal structures, spare parts, fuel, and lumber structures (such as pit props, fencing, huts etc).

Farm supplies are machinery (tractors, harvesters etc), fuel and fertiliser / agricultural chemicals.
[*]I have no idea what plant fibres are or how they relate to plastics. I couldn't find a suitable term either. For now it's "organic fibers" (as opposed to synthetic ones)
Cotton, hemp, jute, flax, cellulose based fibres. Organic fibers is fine.
[*]Fruits and vegetables didn't seem to have an abbreviation at all?
In the next release version of FIRS it will simply be Fruit.
[*]There's a couple of inconsistencies, like how "plant fibres" is plural but "sugar beet" is not (as if its a homogenous mass rather than whole vegetables. It's weird, like saying "crates of carrot" rather than "carrots")
"Sugar beet" is the plural in UK english. We have confusing rules about plurals :P
I tried to adhere to convention anyway. Is "fish" a generic aggregate for all fish
Yes.
Why is "chemicals" separated as in different chemicals, while "metal" is generic, single type of metal (and not "metals")? etc.
In UK english, "20 litres of chemical" would sound a little strange compare to "20 litres of chemicals". "5t of metal" and "5t of metals" are both about the same.
[*]Finnish doesn't really have distinctions for different kinds of farms. There's no "arable farm", just a "farm" that farms crops (if for some reason you wanted to specify exactly what it was farming). Luckily dairy farm is an established term, but "sheep farm" is pushing it. Ultimately I had to name "arable farm" and "mixed farm" identical, just "farm".
The farms have caused a lot of trouble :P Again, the distinctions make sense in UK english, but maybe less so elsewhere.
[*]why does the aluminium plant produce steel?
We decided using the label STEL for FIRS metal would get better cargo support and make no difference in gameplay. We did have separate aluminium and steel cargos, but they had the same gameplay function so we merged them into "metal"
[*]Builder's yard is more like "construction site" now, I wasn't sure how else it should be; What exactly does the builder's yard do?
It's either a yard belonging to a construction firm or builders merchant, depending on how you want to interpret it. It's not a big deal either way ;)
[*]With some of the industries not drawn yet, it's difficult to discern how they translate; E.g. how large of a store a "retail market" is exactly
The retail market will vary by date, so 1 tile in early game, then 4 tile supermarket in later game.
[*]Iron works and recycling depot don't seem to exist
Both are date sensitive. Recycling depot is not in current released version of FIRS, only nightly version ;)
[*]TEXT_CRG_FRUITSANDVEGETABLES_CARGOAMOUNT refers to "fruits" but TEXT_INFO_5T_PER_8T_FRUITSANDVEGETABLES mentions "fruit" delivered. Once again, I adhered to convention despite the inconsistency[/list]
That might be a mistake you've discovered ;)

Return to “Graphics Development”