NARS2 - the North American Railway Set [2.52 September 2021]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NARS2 - the North American Renewal Set [2.03 28 Aug 09]

Post by Railwaymodeler »

Any news with the missing cattle cars? All I get are the first early version which are unavailable for most of the 20th century onwards.
Without Trains America Stops

V453000 :)
President
President

Post by V453000 :) »

Play with not expiring vehicles :)

... or choose a train set which supports all cargoes at all times
ImageImageImage
Railwaymodeler
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Railwaymodeler »

V453000 :) wrote:Play with not expiring vehicles :)
I could, problem is, the early cattle car is slow and low capacity.
For American equipment, the choice is NARS2 or US Set. Canadian Train set is kind of close, but chock full of senseless limitations. At least senseless in the TT worlds.
Without Trains America Stops

Jim Starluck
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jim Starluck »

V453000 :) wrote:Play with not expiring vehicles :)

It should be supporting all cargoes at all times. There's supposed to be a Livestock wagon introduced in 1890 that's not showing up. The old one that's there from 1800 expires early in the 20th century, and the next one--the Modern Livestock wagon--isn't introduced until the 1960s.

It was there the last time I played using this set, and when I started playing again recently I kept waiting for it to show up, but it never did.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger locomotive and try again.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

yeah its a problem that I've run into before, perhaps its something to do with newer versions of openttd because the cattle cars showed up before
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Jim Starluck
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jim Starluck »

NekoMaster wrote:yeah its a problem that I've run into before, perhaps its something to do with newer versions of openttd because the cattle cars showed up before
That would make sense. I'm using the same version of NARS that I was back when I last saw the wagon in question, but I'm running it on a newer nightly build. Kinda weird that it would knock out that one, single wagon, though.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger locomotive and try again.
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Spirit of Trains wrote:Ok, just by looking at the GTEL's makes it seen like to me that they will not have any trouble pulling a string of 50 loaded bethgon hoppers across the Rockies ( okay, maybe with some help from a Big Boy)! I know that this set is more of a generic set, but can you please make a GS-4 class steam engine by itself, separate from the northerns? If so, I'd also like a livery override for the passenger cars.
If you recall a long time ago I drew a selection of locomotives for this set including the GS4. They are earlier in this thread somewhere. Although I have been absent for a long time this does not mean that my graphics aren't still around. If you want to use them feel free. In fact I would love it if you could include them. Would be great to see them in action. All I ask is that you try to add the big boy and cab forward I drew too :), that you note down who drew them and that if you get them working send me a copy to play around with. If you need more sprite angles drawn for the bog locos then prod me. Can't promise ill notice though. Now that I am working 95% of my time is gone.
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

@paulicus: Okay then, I'll try to work on the GS-4 first, then I will try to work on the Big Boy. All I need are the sprites. Are these sprites animated like the others in the set?
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Yes , they have animated wheels.

I guess both long locos are to be coded similarly to the challenger from NARS2 in terms of turning....they have overlapping segments and turning sprites. However unlike the challenger, with the cab forward the segment that needs to be "on top" is the front one not the rear one. Might cause some clipping issues. Hence why I have drawn no turning sprites for now. Just use the normal ones and ill make the turning ones once I see if there's anything wrong.

Also of note, I would appreciate it if at least one of these big locos was 80+ mph. Currently the set lacks a super-heavy steam loco fast enough to pull 80mph boxcars. I guess I shall leave it to thee. I don't know the full real world stats of these locos.

Edit: Just checked. The big boy is like 60-65, and the cab forward is around the 75-80 mark. However i guess it all comes down to you for that.

I shall re-upload the sprites...
Attachments
Big Boy. Multi-part with turning sprites. To be coded like challenger only bigger one would assume.
Big Boy. Multi-part with turning sprites. To be coded like challenger only bigger one would assume.
NARS2 Completed Bigboy Spritesheet.png (28.6 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
Cab Forward. Based of southern pacific's AC-12. Probably needs turning sprites. Don't know how to draw them yet if it does. Needs investigating. PS. Most epic loco ever.
Cab Forward. Based of southern pacific's AC-12. Probably needs turning sprites. Don't know how to draw them yet if it does. Needs investigating. PS. Most epic loco ever.
NARS2 Completed Cab Forward Spritesheet.png (25.76 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Second post. Forum wont let me upload more than 2 images.
Attachments
Golden State aka GS4 in full company colours. If you want to make carriages, feel free.
Golden State aka GS4 in full company colours. If you want to make carriages, feel free.
NARS2 Completed GS4 aka Golden State Spritesheet.png (11.31 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
FAF-2. In 4 liveries. Black, grey, light grey and a sort of mauve. Use what you will.
FAF-2. In 4 liveries. Black, grey, light grey and a sort of mauve. Use what you will.
NARS2 Completed FAF Spritesheet.png (75.37 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
thaddeusthudpucker
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thaddeusthudpucker »

I absolutely love this set. It is the de-facto train set for my mates and I when we do multiplayer games. However, I've been away from my sanity for a while, and I am just getting back to it.

These new locomotive classes are cool. Do you guys have grf's I could download and add to our games?

Thanks!
Spirit of Trains
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spirit of Trains »

@paulicus25: thanks for uploading the sprites, will get to work on the stuff ASAP.
@thaddeusthudpucker: there are no grf's that add the three locos to the main grf (NARS2.03) yet. paulicus25 just uploaded the sprites today, so I'm gonna have to work them as moving entities (locos).
EDIT: @thaddeusthudpucker: For now, the only GRF that includes the GS-4 and the Big Boy is the American Transition Set, found here: www.as-st.com/ttd/newusa/‎
Pack man
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pack man »

@paulicus25: I could do matching passenger cars for the GS4 and the FEF you did earlier. I did a matching set for the 1st generation diesels in the set. They also match the Hudson after switching the Hudsons between Players around.

@spirit of trains, if you could, could you incorporate the diesels and electrics I did earlier?

FWIW, stats for the Big boy, AC12, and GS4 (IMO, a GS5 would be better).

Big Boy:
Top Speed: 60-80 mph* (designed speed is 60, capable of 70, supposedly could do 80)
Power: 6360
Tractive effort: 602 kN

AC-12 (cab forward):
Top Speed: 75 mph
Power: 6000
Tractive effort: 553 kN

GS4:
Top Speed: 110 mph
Power: 5500
Tractive effort: 288-345 kN (lower number is without booster, GS5s had more)

FEF:
Top Speed: 100-110 mph
Power: 4100 (FEF-1, can't find for the FEF-3)
Tractive effort: 283

BTW, if you re-do some of the steamers; I have a few suggestions
2-8-8-2 Mallet: Top speed bumped to 55mph
4-6-6-4 Challenger: Change power to 5500, speed to 80, and make the tractive effort close to the Mallet
paulicus25
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paulicus25 »

Actually, I uploaded them ages ago. They just ended up floating around in limbo. Was going to have a go at an Allegheny too, but since nothing came of what I drew never got round to it. Perhaps once these locos are in and my real life actually gets to the point where I have time I might do some more sprites. Also perhaps look into some more advanced mountain climbing locos. Perhaps a camelback and/or climax. I found the Shay never really had the speed to be all that useful.

However we will cross that hill when we get to it. Pun intended.
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

First off, awesome set! I use it in every single game I play and I don't play if I can't have this grf. I love it :bow:

That said, there is one thing that I CAN'T STAND, specifically the Talgo passenger cars. I frequently am playing games past 2000 with vehicles that never expire, and I build a passenger line but end up having to use talgo passenger cars and a trio of E9s or a hudson. it just looks awful. I think the Talgo cars should be optional, like disablable with a parameter, or just a separate type of car, or just have older (or newer) locomotives change the appearance of the cars, like the acela and the RDC does. Speaking of running really old locomotives and parameters, I heard somewhere (I forgot where) that steam locomotive running costs increase really fast after 1950 or so, and I didn't like that idea... Anyway, other than that, this makes OpenTTD one of my favorite games :mrgreen:. It might be good to have a material handling car as well, for superliner trains, but that's not really a priority for me right now.

Thank you very much if you incorporate my suggestions!
Ruiluth
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ruiluth »

As a follow-up to my first post, today I learned how to code in nml, but I am a terrible graphics artist. It would be great if someone could help me with the graphics. I 'm looking for american locomotives similar to the ones in this set. For anyone interested, go to this link: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=68329
Kreny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kreny »

not sure if this is right place and/or if this wasn't reported, but there is nasty bug in NARS2...
from some point, adding passenger vehicle to engine will lower it's max. power by aprox. 50HP per each vehicle added... so trains are bit unplayable for me now :(
Not sure when it started but it does from all engines from certain point, see picture for details
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (64.46 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
\

note that adding older variant of passenger vehicle do not lower engine's HP at all. I am at 1898.
Is this known or it's a feature and I am missing something? :)
juzza1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by juzza1 »

The HP reduction is a feature of NARS2. Check http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... _End_Power
Kreny
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kreny »

juzza1 wrote:The HP reduction is a feature of NARS2. Check http://users.tt-forums.net/pikka/wiki/i ... _End_Power
wow!
Thanks for link and sorry for my stupid post :)

PikkaBird is half-God, we should build him a statue or something at every major city
TinyMusic
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TinyMusic »

Kreny wrote:PikkaBird is half-God, we should build him a statue or something at every major city
Don't forget michael blunck, SAC, Purno and a lot of other people as well :wink:
Formerly known as UseYourIllusion.
Java Scenario Found Here - Version 2 out
[tweɪ̂ pû tɕʰì wɔ̀ mǐlɤ lû tɕʰìŋ nì pɑ́ŋmɑ̌ŋ]

Return to “Graphics Development”