Project: cargodest

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sjm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Project: cargodest

Post by sjm »

Regiovogel wrote:I've got some problems with the routes passengers take to get from one point to another.

Let's say we have a line with four stations A to D.
On this line, there are some trains:
- an express train that directly connects A with D
- some local passenger trains which stop at every station between A and D.

<snip>

Just as a suggestion to solve this issue without getting unrealistic... I would love to have some profitable regional trains in addition to the fast trains ;)
Just came here to post exactly the same thing.

I set up a bus network between 2 towns, with two stations in each town. There's a bigger "hub" in the centre of both, and two smaller drive through stations in between. There are about 15 buses servicing the various stations. There are a number of different bus routes:

* Direct point to point between the two big hubs
* From one hub to the other through all smaller stations (and back again)
* From one hub via only one of the smaller stations to the other hub (and maybe back again)
* One bus just running between the two smaller stations

Passengers will only get on a bus that is going to their destination if it is the next stop on the bus' route. For example, there are 818 passengers waiting to get from Woodingwood Central to Chennton. There are both direct buses between the stations, as well as a route Woodingwood Central -> Chennton South -> Chennton. When the "local bus" arrives at Woodingwood Central, it only picks up the (handful of passengers) going to Chennton South. Passengers heading to Chennton will only get on those buses that go directly instead of filling up the local bus. Instead of waiting around in their hundreds for a direct connection, it would make much more sense to get on the bus via Chennton South.

As it is, this really only makes point to point networks worthwhile. I understand that there might be problems associated with deciding whether or not to get on a bus; e.g. if there are two circular lines in town (one anti-clockwise and one clockwise) servicing 8 stations, it might only be 2 stations to your destination in one direction, but 6 in the other; taking the 6 stops then makes little sense. But in my game, Chennton South is pretty much on the route between the two stations - and, because the service is slower (because there's a stopover on the way), income would as a result be reduced as compared to the direct express service (much as IRL).
Roujin
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Roujin »

Regiovogel wrote:
bokkie wrote:that's a feature for in the future (says Wiki) :) Seems like an important one to me btw
Oh, well. Do you think of
Wiki wrote:Route load balancing (don't send everything via the cheapest route)
then? Didn't think of this by now. But, well, basically the fastest route is not the cheapest, but the most expensive one... ;) (except "cheapest" was talking about route cost :D)

"cheapest" is definately meaning route "cost" here, not cost as in money the passengers will pay.
* @Belugas wonders what is worst... a mom or a wife...
<Lakie> Well, they do the same thing but the code is different.

ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Cargo will take exactly one route from a station A to a station B. Once things work and everything, we can move on to additional features.

Celestar
Wibblebutt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wibblebutt »

Brianetta wrote:
Wibblebutt wrote:Maybe a new station building could be introduced, such as a hotel or inn, which pauses, or slows down, the loss in value?
How about an option in the cheats menu? Do you think your customers care whether you stored their goods in a warehouse or a slow train? Late is late.
I'm only suggesting the option for passengers, not cargo.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Regiovogel wrote:If you add a station E, where the local trains and the express train are going (so it drives A-D-E-D), passengers from E to A, who get on a local train, will change at D to the express train.
This is where you might start to understand what's going on. The passengers get off the train at every single stop. There, they decide which vehicle to use next. Often, this is the vehicle they just alighted, and they get back on it. If there's an express, they'd rather get that.

So, now we can answer this one:
robotboy wrote:Didn't this all start as a way of resolving the issue of cargo being unloaded and then reloaded if it wanted to continue on?
Er, emphatically not!
Wibblebutt wrote:
Brianetta wrote:
Wibblebutt wrote:Maybe a new station building could be introduced, such as a hotel or inn, which pauses, or slows down, the loss in value?
How about an option in the cheats menu? Do you think your customers care whether you stored their goods in a warehouse or a slow train? Late is late.
I'm only suggesting the option for passengers, not cargo.
I don't think passengers would appreciate lengthy stays at your intermediate stations. They have the fastest payment rate fall-off on the cargo rates graph precisely because they're extremely impatient. If you want to dump anything on a platform for a few days, try coal. It's notoriously patient.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I thought I read somewhere in this thread about solving the problem of passengers getting off the train and then getting back on after realising that they want to go further down the line.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

Cargo is NOT unloaded at every intermediate stop, Cargo decides whether to get off at every single stop. I'm thinking about ways how to change this. Basically all the cargo sees is this:

http://www.fvfischer.de/rn.png

Celestar
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

Hi
Been away for a while and got back to find this brilliant patch. It would be my first time compiling a patch, especially with mercurial. Unfortunately it seems there is a problem with the mercurial page. So is there any chance someone could pm me a compiled win32 version?

Thanks in advance.

T-Unit
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

T-Unit: A few have been posted in this thread already.
bokkie
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by bokkie »

http://binaries.openttd.org/custom/cargodest/ :) You may also want to try the binary in the 'realistic timetables' thread.
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

@El koeno: I had a skim through looking for one, so i may have missed it. :oops: Will look again now.

@bokkie: Do these compile with BuildOTTD. Sorry for my ignorance, just wanting to get it right. Also will the realistic timetables binary compile with it?

Edit: found one on the timetables patch. Will test it out. Thanks for your help.
el koeno
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by el koeno »

T-Unit wrote:@El koeno: I had a skim through looking for one, so i may have missed it. :oops: Will look again now.
That's okay. I could have posted a link in my post of course, but I'm sort of lazy. :) Have fun!
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

It may not be 100% up to date but itll do me.
Tekky wrote:I have compiled a working Win32 binary of cargodest-timetables version 1.30. You can download if from this link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/141931326/r ... t.zip.html

However, please note that I had a lot of trouble building this version, as the latest version of cargodest has two bugs that I had to fix manually:

1. On line 294 of cargodest.cpp, I got the following warning from Microsoft Visual C++ 2008:
warning C4146: unary minus operator applied to unsigned type, result still unsigned
I had to cast to signed integer to fix this bug.
2. The files in the "data" directory of the cargodest repository were invalid. I had to replace them with the latest files in trunk.

Since I am not 100% sure whether I fixed these bugs properly, you are using this binary at your own risk. :-)
T-Unit
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by T-Unit »

Well the compiled version i downloaded is running well. This is a great patch. Hats off to the developers! It is much better than the older implementations of (passenger) destinations, mainly because it is a lot simpler meaning that there are few bugs. Well done.
Jans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jans »

Can anyone explain me how to compile these game with mingw under windows XP? I have read in the wiki that I need some special libs. But I don´t know how to install them for mingw.
I´m able to compile trunk without any mistake.

If some one need: I have an updated german.txt respectively german.lng. I would make a diff file but I can´t because I don´t know how.

Thanks for help. And these nice project of course.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Jans wrote:Can anyone explain me how to compile these game with mingw under windows XP? I have read in the wiki that I need some special libs. But I don´t know how to install them for mingw.
What special libs? And does the wiki not tell you how to install them?
Jans wrote:If some one need: I have an updated german.txt respectively german.lng. I would make a diff file but I can´t because I don´t know how.
"man diff" is your friend. Or "svn help diff". Or "git help diff"
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Jans
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jans »

the wiki explain of course, but not for mingw. Only for I think Linux/Unix.
steff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by steff »

Wan-To wrote:I've got another problem... There some stations where no passengers go to. They can go via these stations, they transfer here, but these stations aren't their final destinations. Never. And I don't know why.
Same problem here.
Wan-To wrote:I noticed that two of my stations (but it can be more) are doing this.
I've only some stations not doing this. I think the older stations have this problem and the newly built stations behave as expacted.

I can post a savegame played with the version of the diff-file posted in the wiki some days ago. But I combined this patch witch the daylength-patch. Maybe that's the problem...
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

steff wrote:
Wan-To wrote:I've got another problem... There some stations where no passengers go to. They can go via these stations, they transfer here, but these stations aren't their final destinations. Never. And I don't know why.
Same problem here.
Wan-To wrote:I noticed that two of my stations (but it can be more) are doing this.
I've only some stations not doing this. I think the older stations have this problem and the newly built stations behave as expacted.

I can post a savegame played with the version of the diff-file posted in the wiki some days ago. But I combined this patch witch the daylength-patch. Maybe that's the problem...
1) Can you post a savegame of this?
2) Easy question: does the station ACCEPT passengers in the first place?

Celestar
steff
Engineer
Engineer

Post by steff »

1) Created with patch version against r14127 combined with daylength-patch against r13691.
Do you need something more?

2) All stations should accept passengers. For example look at "Köln Hbf" or "Essen Hbf".
Attachments
cargodest_daylength.sav
(570.97 KiB) Downloaded 68 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”