Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: PLEASE GOD make an undo last feature

Post by audigex »

Mr. X wrote:
belugas wrote:...
Sounds like a solid statement to me. Sorry guys but I think this topic is covered.

Next time: Plan ahead and watch out. :wink:
It wasn't an "I didnt' plan that" - the game glitched (this one wasn't to do with the mousepad, I'm pretty sure) in as much as the cursor jumped over 100 tiles when I released the mouse. I could hardly have planned for that?

At the end of the day I've asked for a feature. If it gets built some day I'll be very happy - but is there any need for the flaming? A dev has said it's likely not possible, that's for them to say. Not for others to have a go at.

Jesus, could this forum be any more unfriendly sometimes?
Jon
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Now if your problem is that you use the dynamite-tool over a very big area and have to reconstruct this big area. Would it be a big loss for you if the maximum area of dynamite would be restricted to say 30x30 tiles? With this restriction you will not blow the entire map and you will still be able to blow up small areas. Maybe 10x10 is even enough for you. Or let say 100 tiles in total for allowing a bit more flexibility.

That would be something that is not to hard to code and would help you not blowing up the entire map. Perhaps there are other tools than dynamite that should also be locked down given that you enable a such lock-down in the patches dialog?
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Zhall
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zhall »

Um, is it just me or would a time machine cost like 20 billion dollars? Also, this option would not be a feasable option for multiplayer :/ Otherwise i like it
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

imagine that feature on other games...
"oh i gave my team-mate a headshot... [ctrl+z]"
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Qu@rks wrote:That was the smartest post ever, Mr. X ...

I dont think anybody just builds stuff and then notices "oh, gotta delete it all and then rebuild it"... we were talking about involuntary destruction or accidental building (for example when you release the mouse button and a newspaper article pops up in that moment).

So there goes your "planning ahead"...
audigex wrote: It wasn't an "I didnt' plan that" - the game glitched (this one wasn't to do with the mousepad, I'm pretty sure) in as much as the cursor jumped over 100 tiles when I released the mouse. I could hardly have planned for that?

At the end of the day I've asked for a feature. If it gets built some day I'll be very happy - but is there any need for the flaming? A dev has said it's likely not possible, that's for them to say. Not for others to have a go at.

Jesus, could this forum be any more unfriendly sometimes?
Wow I didn't realise I was unfriendly actually. Either I'm weird or you got long toes. :|
Anyway, it could be me but when I plan ahead I take in mind that a glitch can occur. For example I check when I release the mouse button if the selection I made is good. This was because of the (optical mouse) problem I had that the cursor sometimes flies across the screen.
After a few (hard) lessons I didn't take every action I make with the mouse for granted anymore same goes with other (even in-game) stuff like papers etc. And while slow in the beginning I'm quite adept now and just as fast and I don't have these pesky super-remove-actions again. So yes IMHO it can to a certain extend be planned ahead. :)

Don't get me wrong, the idea is great but a dev will not impelent it now. And the statement:
audigex wrote:Not for others to have a go at.
Did I forbid anyone that want to put a lot of time in it to create such a feature? No I didn't and frankly, it would be great, but I know this forum and when a developer says it's very very hard to make, no-one will do it soon (and with soon I mean the next 1½ year atleast). :wink:

Don't think so? Prove me otherwise and I stand corrected.
And again, I certainly didn't mean to be harsh or insulting. I never do actually, I only get a bit grumpy when people say I do when I didn't. :|
audigex
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by audigex »

Sorry Mr X, I wasn't referring to you ;) I just switched the subject of my post too quickly.

Limiting dynamite to smaller areas, that's a really good suggestion. I didn't think of it that way. Hmm...
Jon
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

audigex wrote:Sorry Mr X, I wasn't referring to you ;) I just switched the subject of my post too quickly.

Limiting dynamite to smaller areas, that's a really good suggestion. I didn't think of it that way. Hmm...
Oh then I'm weird. :P
No hard feelings. :)
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

I have no idea why you all treat the undo as a time machine...in my opinion it should just revert last action. It should apply only for construction, demolition and terraforming. I guess that would not be that hard to implement.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

CommanderZ wrote:I have no idea why you all treat the undo as a time machine...in my opinion it should just revert last action. It should apply only for construction, demolition and terraforming. I guess that would not be that hard to implement.
that is exactly the point that you seemingly dont understand, it simply would _not_ be that easy.
there is way more going on in the background, than you currently imagine! besids, it's a very uncomon feature regarding games, the main game i can think off, that allows this would be chess, and that is then considered cheating.... and it's not allowed on network games either... and it's way easier to undo those actions...
in OpenTTD every action as an affect on the entire game, therefore even building a piece of rail and selling it again.
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

Why couldn't the undo just sell the the last piece of railroad you build just as if you removed using the Ctrl + A? Of course nothing would happen if there were circumstances, that prevented it from removing the rail (like a train), it wouldn't be done! The same could apply for demolish - it would rebuild the destroyed player owned stuff, but city buildings couldn't be renewed of course. Terraforming could work the same too - it would try to remodel the terrain as if the player did it with raise, lower end level tools - it wouldn't change the terrain where something happened there in the meantime (like newly constructed city buildings or other players' stuff).

I often demolish something I didn't really wanted to demolish or place signals facing the wrong way (autosignal is a b**** (not really, it is awesome), it cannot change the facing of existing signals).

There is undo feature for example in Pharaoh and it works well - and it is as complex game as OTTD is.
dihedral
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by dihedral »

the usage of 'just' in combination with undoing a terraforming action does not work that well, and then also, if it does the same as selling, destroing, reconstructing, etc. you can do it yourself also
CommanderZ wrote:There is undo feature for example in Pharaoh and it works well - and it is as complex game as OTTD is.
then play Pharaoh!
CommanderZ
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by CommanderZ »

you can do it yourself also
I don't say it would do anything that cannot be done, but it would make OTTD again a little bit more funny to play by removing another tedious task.

Btw, autorail can do the same the old construction tools did, the only difference is the "user friendliness" :wink:
then play Pharaoh!
I love these replies. You could tell me to use Notepad instead because it has nice one-step undo :roll:
Qu@rks
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Qu@rks »

audigex wrote: Jesus, could this forum be any more unfriendly sometimes?
I agree. It definitely is...
The worst part is that almost every thread now starts with "haven't found anything using the search function" because so many people got stupid replies about topics having been discussed before, even though, most of the time, they haven't...
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

Qu@rks wrote:
audigex wrote: Jesus, could this forum be any more unfriendly sometimes?
I agree. It definitely is...
Most of what you see as unfriendlyness are just short responses to questions that could've been easily found in the forum and/or wiki.
The worst part is that almost every thread now starts with "haven't found anything using the search function"
And if all people who said this really did it, it'd help a lot.
because so many people got stupid replies about topics having been discussed before, even though, most of the time, they haven't...
I haven't noticed such replies on topics that were not discussed before, care to give some examples?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

audigex wrote:Could this forum be any more unfriendly sometimes?
Yes, it could. The rules could be changed to include "All new threads on previously discussed topics will be unceremoniously deleted, and any person creating such threads will be banned from posting new topics for one month."
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

To get back on topic, I agree with commanderZ: and undo function would not be very complicated if it only concerned construction/destruction/terraforming.

Take, as an example, the wonderful game Zoo Tycoon (very crappy indeed, but that is not the question).
I has an undo function, which does not change time in the game, only does what CommanderZ has described earlier: rebuild the last deleted object, delete the last built object, revert the last terraforming action, IF it is possible.

An example, with the case of the dynamited area, would be that ctrl+z would rebuild all the tracks + stations + depots deleted. Of course, town ratings would change just as if the user had deleted and rebuilt it manually, the stations that previously used new stations grfs would be rebuilt as plain, basic stations, etc... Moreover, items not owned by the player (town buildings, industries in the case of magic dynamite, etc...) would not be rebuilt either.
The other example that was used, about auto signalling, is also a very good one: you accidentally fill your line with wrong way signals. You either have to turn them one by one, or delete them and rebuild them. Either way, it can become quite long if the line is long and twisted, with no junctions. And undo would sell all the signals, but as when he uses the bulldozer, he would not get all the money back, making the use of undo unprofitable, only to use as a last resort.

I don't know how the game works internally, but since this does not take in account anything other than construction, I believe it would not be very hard to implement. Only difficulty is to store the last action done somewhere; I guess it is not so difficult, the new AIs probably store their routes somewhere, which basically is the same...
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

cmoiromain wrote:To get back on topic, I agree with commanderZ: and undo function would not be very complicated if it only concerned construction/destruction/terraforming.
Then why haven't you implemented it?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

cmoiromain wrote: The other example that was used, about auto signalling, is also a very good one: you accidentally fill your line with wrong way signals. You either have to turn them one by one, or delete them and rebuild them. Either way, it can become quite long if the line is long and twisted, with no junctions.
You already can auto-remove signals along the line.
cmoiromain
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by cmoiromain »

DaleStan wrote:Then why haven't you implemented it?
because I don't code in C / C++. I just figured this out by studying different patches etc... But then maybe I got it all wrong, then all I desire is to be corrected.

Mchl wrote:You already can auto-remove signals along the line.
How can you do that? I only knew of the auto signal tool...
I am little, ugly, and nasty. How do you do?
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by belugas »

cmoiromain wrote:I don't know how the game works internally, but since this does not take in account anything other than construction, I believe it would not be very hard to implement. Only difficulty is to store the last action done somewhere; I guess it is not so difficult, the new AIs probably store their routes somewhere, which basically is the same...
Indeed you do not know in the internals of the game, otherwise, you would not have said that.
cmoiromain wrote:because I don't code in C / C++...
And because you said that, I would appreciate that you do not evaluate the difficulty (or lack of) of a given work. Unless you actually try and come with a better estimate... It's quite easy to say "it would not be difficult", it's another thing to actually try and say "I've tried, and it's too difficult for me"
If you are not ready to work a bit for your ideas, it means they don't count much for you.
OpenTTD and Realism? Well... Here are a few thoughs on the matter.
He he he he
------------------------------------------------------------
Music from the Bloody Time Zones

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”