Transport Tycoon and Windows Vista

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
mira666
Engineer
Engineer

Transport Tycoon and Windows Vista

Post by mira666 »

Hey all

have recently (well today) tried to install both original TT and TTD using windows Vista, have tried running them with or without dosbox and with or without TTDpatch and can't get anywhere

has anyone successfully run TTD on Vista and if so how?

Mira
GFX patch tester for Temperate and Desert (scenarios designed for testing)

PM me if you have a patch for either of these that you want testing

running OTTD 1.0.0
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Transport Tycoon and Windows Vista

Post by GoneWacko »

Yes, it works fine on Vista here. Even Vista 64-bit.

And it's due to TTDPatch, so I'm going to assume you didn't quite configure it in a way that would make it work, or Vista is not the cause for it to fail.

You might try running Nr-TTD which should set you up with a working copy of the game and TTDPatch.

Then try running ttdpatchw.exe to start the game.

If none of that works, try giving us more information, such as your ttdpatch.cfg file.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
mira666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mira666 »

ok will do, can't even get my copy of TTDpatch to istall now but having read various bits on the forum am gonna have a bash at OpenTTD instead, but will try the link you suggested as well

running OTTD 1.0.0
mira666
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mira666 »

installed using the link given and tried running both versions of the start up file and refused to work on both, i think it is a vista fault however as can run it on my laptop which is using XP no problem

ooo-er

running OTTD 1.0.0
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

mira666 wrote:can't even get my copy of TTDpatch to istall
TTDPatch doesn't install in the usual sense.
"Install" for TTDPatch means "Put ttdpatchw.exe into the directory containing one of GameGFX.exe, American.exe, English.exe, Spanish.exe, French.exe, or German.exe."

If you don't have write permissions for that directory, you've got bigger problems than TTDPatch can fix.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

mira666 wrote:i think it is a vista fault however as can run it on my laptop which is using XP no problem
not a vista problem, as you can see i have TTDP running on my Vista Comp
Attachments
TTDP Vista.png
(460.28 KiB) Downloaded 570 times
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Is that even an actual vista install? Because you're obviously not running Aero, and when I switch off my Aero it looks slightly different... :?

But indeed, it runs fine on Vista, since I've had it working here in the past.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

GoneWacko wrote:Is that even an actual vista install? Because you're obviously not running Aero, and when I switch off my Aero it looks slightly different... :?
Yes it is, i like some features of Aero, and don't like some, so i disable the ones i don't like IE transparency on the windows, and such.
chuck001
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chuck001 »

Hi,

I thought I'd continue this topic instead of opening a new one. I'm a newbie when it comes to technical talk about computers and installs etc.....
I'm running Vista on my computer and I just purchased a valid copy of TTD. I put the cd into the drive and opened the cd up and hit the install button. A black box appears and that's it, nothing happens. I've also got an ATI Radeon video card, can someone give me a step by step process to get the game running on Vista, bearing in mind I'm not a computer whizz.

Thanks and much appreciated!!
Ninglin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ninglin »

I installed TTD using Nr-TTD and it installed everything ok. But when i try to run the game it doesnt run. The output message is this:
TTDPatch V2.5 beta 9 (Windows) starting.
TTDLOADW.OVL not found, looking for original files:
GAMEGFX.EXE: No such file or directory
AMERICAN.EXE: No such file or directory
Could find neither GAMEGFX.EXE nor AMERICAN.EXE.
Press any key to abort.
Please help me guys. I really miss playing this game :(
Jezulkim
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Jezulkim »

GAMEGFX.EXE: No such file or directory
Looks like you don't have the ttdpatchw.exe in the TTD folder.
In order to protect the visitors of this site,
TTO Full Conversion!
This post has been lol 1337 times.
Ninglin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ninglin »

but I installed it =S
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

What is "it" and where did you install whatever-it-is?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

Remember there are 2 main, different TTD versions.
TT will not work, neither TTD DOS version (with executable ttdx.exe), however TTD WIN version (with executable GameGFX.exe) will work if TTDPatch is installed.

Check your TTD folder if you have GameGFX.exe, if not, check if you have American.exe/English.exe <- those are the same files but before instalation. If you have English.exe just rename it to GameGFX.exe.
Othrewise you most probably have DOS version of TTD, then you can download WIN version of TTD from links give here
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
bobobananas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bobobananas »

You say its not a vista problem, however it probably depends on if ur running vista 32 or 64. in my case i am running vista 64 and all the tycoon stuff and patches etc ive tried failed to work. spcomb's stuff didnt work either, it gave me a dplay error message. Dunno if anyone can help ?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Not without some elaboration on "failed to work", "didn't work", and the content of the error message(s).
vaxquis
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vaxquis »

to mates having "Vista" problems: i don't want to be rude, i may even go a bit off the main topic, *but* installing OpenTTD's Vista's binaries, supplying it with TTD's .grf's, .gm's & sample.cat and running it by double-clicking the icon solves *any* possible problems with Vista... so if you can not run the properly configured OTTD under Vista, the problem's *not* in Vista; i'd rather place it under your skull.
Veteran
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Veteran »

Hi,

i'm new here, but not in TT. i played it when i had a pc (pentium I) with win95. some time ago, i managed to run it on winXP. but now i have vista... I tried many times to run TTD but every time i see the same error: DPLAY.dll was not found. as my dum head understands this file is missing. How can i get it, or maybe there are some other suggestions?

Sorry for my english and bad knowledge. Willing to get some advices.

Thanks.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

That's covered in the FAQ part.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
tarak
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tarak »

Hey, hey, dono when the last post here was. But For thoughs trying to get TTD to work on vista, I too had a problem with it. When I tryed to open my TTD.exe apication, It would say "ubable to find DPLAY.dll. Cannot run program"
If this is your issue. I sugest simply typing in dplay.dll into google search.
It will come up with A LOT of listings. The top one is the one I used to download it.
Extract it into your C:\WINDOWS\system folder. (use browse to find it under my computer) and then extract. once there re-extract your zip folder of TTD and go hard. It should work if it was telling you that you needed the DLL file. I hope this helps

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”