S60v3 port

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

kingaron
Engineer
Engineer

Re: S60v3 port

Post by kingaron »

It would be nice if there came a port for touch phones, the 5800XM and soon the N97
Yexo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Yexo »

kingaron wrote:It would be nice if there came a port for touch phones, the 5800XM and soon the N97
If you supply at least one of those phones to a developer, then he might want to create a port for it.
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Yexo wrote:If you supply at least one of those phones to a developer, then he might want to create a port for it.
That would be nice, but it's not the real problem. The 5800 is so incredibly slow that the developement is simply repulsive. The pixel count is up three times, but the processor is SLOWER than in previous phones. As I wrote in the other thread, I've got 97 FPS on the N95 in one appliaction and only 17 FPS on the 5800 drawing the same thing of the same size (320x240). Now imagine running OpenTTD on that phone, where the N95 already has some speed issues.
kingaron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingaron »

wolf wrote:
Yexo wrote:If you supply at least one of those phones to a developer, then he might want to create a port for it.
That would be nice, but it's not the real problem. The 5800 is so incredibly slow that the developement is simply repulsive. The pixel count is up three times, but the processor is SLOWER than in previous phones. As I wrote in the other thread, I've got 97 FPS on the N95 in one appliaction and only 17 FPS on the 5800 drawing the same thing of the same size (320x240). Now imagine running OpenTTD on that phone, where the N95 already has some speed issues.
Well, I looked up a few things, and according to my research the processor in the 5800 is faster than in the N95 for example. With 369Mhz for the 5800 over 332Mhz for the N95. So what exactly makes the 5800 slow? It also has twice the RAM of the N95. I may be totally wrong, i'm not that experienced with phone applications or specifications.
Tvel
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tvel »

I am little confused when it comes to ARM, but 5800 appears faster.
N95 is using the OMAP2420 by TI
5800 is using Freescale's MXC300-30 at 369 MHz

and 5800 has 128Mb RAM (64 for N95)
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

SDL (http://repo.or.cz/w/SDL.s60v3.git) has received some love and now it works on 5800:
Currently there's no input support, but it should be added quickly. The game's speed is a bit slow, as expected.

There's also support for scaled down high resolution modes. You can now have 640x480 resolution on your 320x240 phone:
The text is blurry, but readable if you know what to expect. There's not much that can be done about that.

Expect new build soon.
kingaron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingaron »

I love you for making it work :bow: :bow: :bow: on the 5800 but please explain what to do with this SDL, I don't really understand
xZise
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xZise »

Hi all,

is it possible to run it without a memory card? Because my E60 only supports MMC and I have no MMC here and I couldn't use such a card.

xZise
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

xZise wrote:is it possible to run it without a memory card? Because my E60 only supports MMC and I have no MMC here and I couldn't use such a card.
Currently not. Maybe in future.
kingaron wrote:I love you for making it work :bow: :bow: :bow: on the 5800 but please explain what to do with this SDL, I don't really understand
You don't do anything with it, it's just in case a developer would be interested in doing his own build of OpenTTD.
kingaron wrote:Well, I looked up a few things, and according to my research the processor in the 5800 is faster than in the N95 for example. With 369Mhz for the 5800 over 332Mhz for the N95. So what exactly makes the 5800 slow?
It seems to be indeed faster. I have a simple benchmark application that measures pure CPU/memory performance (no real audio/video action is taken) in common tasks like blitting images of different pixel formats with/without alpha, applying audio effects, decoding an ogg vorbis file, etc. Here are some figures (N95 8GB/5800):
Test1: 7.32 / 5.90
Test2: 28.44 / 23.61
Test3: 3.95 / 3.32
Test4: 6.08 / 5.20
Test5: 3.83 / 3.09
Test6: 3.77 / 4.48
Test7: 12.14 / 12.01
Test8: 7.33 / 6.70

It's quite obvious now that the screen access is the problem.
kingaron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingaron »

But.... what do i need to do to make it work on MY 5800XM? Because it's still not working
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

New build: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/openttd.sisx
Required libraries: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/support/ (UPDATE 28.07.2008!)
Patchset: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian ... 770.tar.gz

List of changes:
- Updated to rev 15770.
- Enabled network support. Content download works. Multiplayer is not supported.
- Simplified graphics handling (SDL fix).
- Added support for scaled down high resolution modes (SDL fix).
- Added support for S60v5.

One build for S60v3 and S60v5 devices. On touch screen phones you will want to enable left mouse button scrolling and use of the stylus is advisable. Also, don't enable high resolution modes on these devices, touch screen doesn't work well with these for now. Some new devices have PIPS already installed, so try to simply install openttd.sisx and install required libraries only when it doesn't start.
kingaron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by kingaron »

thanks man it works :D :bow:
There are some slight bugs, like not being able to scroll up. And the right button issue but other than that's it's playable.
It's actually not that blurry and not that slow. It works quite smoothly i'd have to say, thanks again
taisteluorava
Engineer
Engineer

Post by taisteluorava »

Thx a lot, it runs very well on x5800. I only miss one thing, there should be "ctrl" switch button. Maybe its possible make icon or something which swhitch control on / control off. But it works well without it still :). And online downloadable content does not seem work, but you can check multiplayer servers. And 640 × 360 resolution is just perfect and touchscreen work fantastic with that resolution.

Edit:

"And the right button issue"

Just enable Reserve scroll direction, Smooth viewpoint scrolling and Left-Click scrollink. Works perfectly on me, and its very fast to move from one place to other.
Josko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Josko »

Is there any archive of older revisions? Because I have installed this newest revision to my E65 and it's NOT working, it shows no error, just don't start. And I have overwritten some working port of openttd wich I installed a year ago or so and I can't find it on my PC so I don't have working OpenTTD on my mobile :(.
Please if anybody has E65 compatibile port post it...
wolf
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wolf »

Josko wrote:Is there any archive of older revisions?
I have no such archive. There's one OLD build (from a year ago) made with some russian patches here: http://team.pld-linux.org/~wolf/symbian/openttd.ru.sisx. I guess it's better than nothing.
Because I have installed this newest revision to my E65 and it's NOT working, it shows no error, just don't start.
E65 not working is a known issue with no solution.
siminhu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by siminhu »

Hi,

I found a Problem on 5800XM or I am not able to use the application :-)

With the latest release I try to start the game, but when I build BUS stations and Garage I did not recive any order, it seams ther is no pepople or Industry in the game.

Can you check?

BR,

SIM
Josko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Josko »

wolf wrote:
Thank you! I'll try it (I hope that it'll not be russian in-game)..
Old release was working so why there is no solution? :cry:
I can help you with debugging if you don't own E65 :)
xZise
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xZise »

Hi :)

I got now a Memory card and installed OTTD on it. I also copied the content of my data folder on the hdd to the data directory on the card. But when I'm trying to start OTTD I get only a message "Systemerror". I'm using an E60 and installed the 3 libs. But one installation ask of for the installingdirectory. Which directory i have to choose?

xZise
siminhu
Engineer
Engineer

Post by siminhu »

siminhu wrote:Hi,

I found a Problem on 5800XM or I am not able to use the application :-)

With the latest release I try to start the game, but when I build BUS stations and Garage I did not recive any order, it seams ther is no pepople or Industry in the game.

Can you check?

BR,

SIM
Most probably some of you already set up 5800 xm with OpenTTD, I am not able to do?

Is there any explanation what I can use?

BR,

SIM
xZise
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xZise »

Hi all, i could not fix that bug :( , but there is an other "problem": there is no death log in the root directory. Do i have to start it with a parameter? But how I could start it with a parameter on a E60?
Thanks xzise.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”