Highways

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Luther
Engineer
Engineer

Highways

Post by Luther »

With the introduction of one way roads, creating highways is finally possible. First you need to construct a coal line to get some income, but once you have income, you can let the highways grow and let them pay for themselves. Also, it is finally possible to construct together to a large network and still aim for largest individual profits.

Let's say we have a piece of highway on which vehicles drive on right. The easiest way to attach an exit is just a T-branching.

However, we do not want crossings and/or exits like this. Using oneway roads (pressing control with road tool, available in latest nightlies), we construct an exit with bridge.

Still it seems somewhat unnatural. Also, this risks that other players place trainrails over it. The higher road also increases possibilities for exists. For example:

Or the most realistic exits:

Some things to think about :D.
Stevie D
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Highways

Post by Stevie D »

Been there, done that years ago!

What you can do to prevent the AI from stuffing it all up by building roads across your highway is to lower the land down the middle of the road. With newer versions of the patch, you can even do this after the road is built.

The main advantage to using highways - other than because you can, and it looks good - is when you have some fast RVs and some slow ones. But to give maximum opportunity for overtaking, you need to minimise junctions and corners, because they won't overtake near them. Long uninterrupted straight sections are best.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

If Luthers English wasnt so good, I would swear that he was just another incarnation of Jasper... :roll:

Anyway, nice presentation Luther. People have done these before, but the way you have set it out is well done :)
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by phil88 »

There's no real advantage to setting our roads this way though...unless something has recently changed in the nightlies, the vehicles only use 1 lane of each direction anyway.
- Phil
Luther
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Luther »

Phil, I agree the technical advantage is limited. The introduction of one way roads in the nightlies however let me hope that some day there are actual dubble lane one way roads.

Another example: In the south west land is sparse. A dike has been constructed. The middle of the dike has been reserved for car traffic, the slopes will be filled with rail lateron. Your mission: Implement one way roads on the dike. At first, this seems impossible. Now with high bridges enabled, construct a road and a bridge on top of it. The lower level will be used for traffic to north-east, the upper level for traffic to the south west.

DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

i cannot do anything other then totally agree... only problem is, a high capacity road network is somewhat hard due to the fact that you cannot have ro-ro stations, but it's fun, no argument from me there...

but to make it look even nicer do like this:
Attachments
png1.PNG
png1.PNG (54.28 KiB) Viewed 12426 times
Member of the
ImageImage
phil88
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by phil88 »

7of9 wrote:i cannot do anything other then totally agree... only problem is, a high capacity road network is somewhat hard due to the fact that you cannot have ro-ro stations, but it's fun, no argument from me there...

but to make it look even nicer do like this:
You can..drive-thru road stops.
- Phil
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

You can even have multiple lane drive-thru roadstop, though there islimit of 16 tiles for bus stations. Attached example shows 66 buses running quite without any trouble in such small network :)
Attachments
66buses.png
66buses.png (85.23 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Last edited by Bilbo on 19 Jul 2007 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Do not inline pictures you've attached, you are breaking my table here.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

XeryusTC wrote:Do not inline pictures you've attached, you are breaking my table here.
Soryy, now I fixed that. BTW it would be nice if the forums would show at least some thumbnail for attached pictures that are too large to show inline ...
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

You should ask Owen, but the answer is probably no. He doesn't seem to like changing things exept for the layout. Too difficult to incorporate.

Just make sure your images fit within 800x600 px and they will be displayed inline just fine.
DJ Nekkid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DJ Nekkid »

i tried that once, but it didnt work ... tho it were like 6x1, and not like 3x5 or something... *try again*
Member of the
ImageImage
JamieLei
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JamieLei »

Highways could be useful with those "RVs Only" games - more often than not there's one road in the town which is easily congested with all the vehicles trying to reach the same factory (plus the good vehicles)
Any opinions expressed are purely mine and not that of any employer, past or present.
kettel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kettel »

JameiLei wrote:(plus the good vehicles)
Like the Dutch Superbus
Doorslammer
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Doorslammer »

I don't think that was a good post to bring back a year old thread... :roll:
kettel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kettel »

Actually, this thread is indicated in the OpenTTD Wiki as a discussion thread for the "highways" suggestion.

P.S. I don't think your post was any better :twisted:
LordAzamath
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by LordAzamath »

Still it doesn't excuse digging a year old thread with nothing to add to it.
PS: And I stopped the propaganda to support Dave Worley since he got a nice new red hat now.[/color]
I know I have a BBCode error in my signature but I really cba to fix it.
kettel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kettel »

Uh, ok... Since it's a discussion thread, I've got a couple of suggestions on highways.
First of all, now we can emulate highways with a set of two one-way roads, which is pretty cool, but still not good enough.

Thus, suggestion #1:
It would be great to make two different types of road: common road and highway. the main difference between them is a speed limit.
How often you see a big rig running at 60mph in downtown? Or on an old road built in 1930's? Exactly, never (exceptions confirm the rule). In fact huge and fast trucks evolved and became profitable only after highways were built in 1940's (before that, trains were the main way of freight transportation).
So, keeping in mind maximum speed limits in the US, let's say:
  • common roads: 45mph speed limit
    highways : 80mph speed limit
This will make sending trucks through cities less profitable, while building highways between cities - more profitable, which is more realistic. That's when you'll actualy have to deside wether to buy a slow cheap truck to deliver goods into a city center or a fast expensive trailer to transport raw materials trough unpopulated regions.

But what about early years, when there were no good roads or highways? And what about the future, when 80mph highways are way too slow? Well, here is the suggestion #2:
There must be upgrades for both roads and highawys (just like upgrades for rail tracks in original TTD: rail -> monorail -> maglev). I was thinking about two tiers of upgrades for each type:
  • roads: dirt roads (speed limit: 25mph, available from early 1800's) -> pavement roads (speed limit: 45mph, available from early 1900's)
    highways: highways (speed limit: 80mph, available from 1940's) -> super-highways (speed limit: 120mph?, available from 2010's?)
Now, futuristic high-speed vehicles (like the Superbus I resurrected this thread with) will make sense.

As for highways graphics, I have now idea if it'll be better to make them 2 tiles wide or fit the whole thing into one tile...
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

kettel wrote:Uh, ok... Since it's a discussion thread, I've got a couple of suggestions on highways.
First of all, now we can emulate highways with a set of two one-way roads, which is pretty cool, but still not good enough.
Related - I proposed trails (dirt roads) as a possible road type.
Subject: Feasibility of additional road types?

Roujin started a patch for it - development thread here:
Subject: [WIP] Trails
kettel
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by kettel »

Right, right; I actually wanted to mention your trails, but forgot to do that, sorry :oops:

Well, looks like we have dirt roads :) The only thing left is to make them upgradable to pavement roads and add highways to the game :D

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”