Engine and loading of 32bpp graphics is now in trunk!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Engine and loading of 32bpp graphics is now in trunk!

Post by GeekToo »

0004Tom,

Adding the tar to the cfg file was the old method of the 32bpp branch. In trunk ( you'll need a nightly build) the new way of loading 32 bpp graphics is to create a directory bin/data/sprites/xxx where xxx is the name of the original grf you want to replace sprites of.

So maybe you can try http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34030

Just download the tar file, untar it in the directory bin/data/sprites/trg1r
If you're using windows and not Linux, you can untar it with the program winrar ( google for it).

The tar I've posted is already PNGCODEC'd, so you don't need to do that yourself.

Then start ottd with: openttd -b 32bpp-anim and you should see the new graphics
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

To warm up download the new grass graphics http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34030 and follow the instructions provided in that thread. They are working and are nice!
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
sobo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sobo »

Will there also be a higher zoom level because a lot of the new sprites seem to be at better resolution per tile?
And personally the nearest zoom seems a bit far away already with modern TFTs (small pixels). I can see a pretty large area at the nearest zoom at 1680x1050.
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

:? still not getting this.

trying to do it but GeekToo's way, again nothing happened, i truely don't understand.

you say create such and such folders, where ? in the ottd folder ?

also says in the link given buy GeekToo, to make a folder for the sprites that are being replaced, again where ? and how do i know what the sprites are called, i thought sprites where numbered :?

now the most confussing part for me,
openttd -b 32bpp-anim
where do i enter this ? in the CFG file, or is there n option somewhere in the patches, option menu in game :?

yet again thanks again.
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

Create a Shortcut for your openttd, then right click it and choose 'properties'. Find 'Target item' (the first one int he second tab) field and add -b 32bpp-simple at the end of it (AFTER a ").
Now rename this shortcut to OpenTTD32bpp or something like that and use it ;)

Just had to come through this yesterday ;)
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

Born Acorn wrote:If they could have, they would have. Either try to help him yourself or don't..
this was posted, before on page 3 or 4 of this thread, when Browneyedboy, asked for help.

as i'm still not getting how to do this, i with others, i guess would rather not ask for help, will wait till there is a user's guide, made. as this is all confussing, and parts are in serval threads.

thanks for the help of those that tried
dannys9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dannys9 »

0004tom, are you playing on Windows or Linux (or something else)?
English™ - powered by Dictionary™
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

i'm using Windows XP Service Pack 2. :?
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

OK.
Here's what I've done step by step.
  1. Have OpenTTD nightly revision 10143 or higher installed (make sure, you know the folder where it sits ;) )
  2. Grab 32bpp graphics (I used temperate grass by Ben Robbins and GeekToo).
  3. Go to the folder, where OpenTTD is installed.
  4. Go to 'data' folder (this is the one, where you put your NewGRFs by default).
  5. Create a folder called 'sprites'.
  6. In newly created 'sprites' folder create folder called 'trg1r' (actual name will depend on the grf file, which graphics are being replaced. Grass tiles are replacements for tiles from trg1r.grf file, hence the name of the folder.
  7. Assuming that OpenTTD is installed in C:\Program Files\OpenTTD\ you should have now a folder structure like this: C:\Program Files\OpenTTD\data\sprites\trg1r\ (this for Windows of course) can't really tell what it would like in linux, because I don't now how OpenTTD installs itself there.
  8. Unpack the png files into newly created 'trg1r' folder.
Now you have 32bpp sprites installed. But you have to tell the OpenTTD to use the 32bpp blitter (sprite drawing engine), in order to be able to use them. To do this you must start OpenTTD with '-b 32bpp-simple' or '-b 32bpp-anim' parameter.

To do this in Windows XP
  1. Find a shortcut which you are using to start OpenTTD and make a copy of it OR go to OpenTTD home directory and create a shortcut to a file 'openttd.exe'.
  2. Right click on newly created shortcut and choose 'Properties' menu item (should be the bottommost item in the menu).
  3. Go to middle tab ('Shortcut') and look for a field called 'Destination' (or something similar, it will be the first editable field in this tab.
  4. Enter this field, and after everything what's in it add: -b 32bpp-anim
    Example: In my case this field's content was:

Code: Select all

"C:\Documents and Settings\Mchl\My Documents\prv\openttd\openttd.exe"
    I've changed it to:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Mchl\My Documents\prv\openttd\openttd.exe" -b 32bpp-anim
  5. Accept the changes and basically you're done. You can now rename your shortcut to something like OpenTTD32bpp or whatever. And of course double click it to play in 32bpp.
Last edited by Mchl on 12 Sep 2007 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
dannys9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dannys9 »

Mchl, you've been a step faster than me, I was a minute away from submitting nearly the same guide :)

@0004tom:
I must add something to point 1: you need to install a current nightly build to make it work at all. Please download it from the OpenTTD homepage: http://www.openttd.org/nightly.php.
To unpack tar files (like the temperate grass replacement) you can use the freeware application 7zip, download it from http://www.7-zip.org
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

dannys9 wrote:I must add something to point 1: you need to install a current nightly build to make it work at all.
Added this info ;)
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

don't we all love it when a comminuity comes together to help each other out ? 8)

Thank you all for putting up with my stupidness, i have succed with you help.

please find attached a screenshot of my first running 32bpp graphic

thank you all again, for helping and for a wonderful game

PS. could i also, suggest adding your guide to the wiki, if not make it a sticky on the forums ?
Attachments
success 32bpp.PNG
success 32bpp.PNG (411.42 KiB) Viewed 722 times
Mchl
Director
Director

Post by Mchl »

0004tom wrote:PS. could i also, suggest adding your guide to the wiki, if not make it a sticky on the forums ?
I was thinking of doing this but have no time at the moment. If anyone else has, it would be great. Note that this needs some reediting and additional information about *nix systems and Mac OS.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

In the latest trunk version (and in the upcoming nightly), you can use 'blitter=<blitter>' in your openttd.cfg to indicate which blitter you like to use. As 32bpp-optimized is pretty stable, it is okay if you configure it as default on your local system. So no longer there is need for adding '-b 32bpp-optimized' all the time when starting OpenTTD.

(you can review which blitters are available by executing 'openttd -h')
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

And our latest addition: .tar support! Be careful with .tar files you have flying around in your data/ dir, they are now loaded!

Read more here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=34066
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

Mchl wrote:OK.
Here's what I've done step by step.
  1. Have OpenTTD nightly revision 10143 or higher installed (make sure, you know the folder where it sits ;) )
  2. Grab 32bpp graphics (I used temperate grass by Ben Robbins and GeekToo).
  3. Go to the folder, where OpenTTD is installed.
  4. Go to 'data' folder (this is the one, where you put your NewGRFs by default).
  5. Create a folder called 'sprites'.
  6. In newly created 'sprites' folder create folder called 'trg1r' (actual name will depend on the grf file, which graphics are being replaced. Grass tiles are replacements for tiles from trg1r.grf file, hence the name of the folder.
  7. Assuming that OpenTTD is installed in C:\Program Files\OpenTTD\ you should have now a folder structure like this: C:\Program Files\OpenTTD\data\sprites\trg1r\ (this for Windows of course) can't really tell what it would like in linux, because I don't now how OpenTTD installs itself there.
  8. Unpack the png files into newly created 'trg1r' folder.
Now you have 32bpp sprites installed. But you have to tell the OpenTTD to use the 32bpp blitter (sprite drawing engine), in order to be able to use them. To do this you must start OpenTTD with '-b 32bpp-simple' or '-b 32bpp-anim' parameter.

To do this in Windows XP
  1. Find a shortcut which you are using to start OpenTTD and make a copy of it OR go to OpenTTD home directory and create a shortcut to a file 'openttd.exe'.
  2. Right click on newly created shortcut and choose 'Properties' menu item (should be the bottommost item in the menu).
  3. Go to middle tab ('Shortcut') and look for a field called 'Destination' (or something similar, it will be the first editable field in this tab.
  4. Enter this field, and after everything what's in it add: -b 32bpp-anim
    Example: In my case this field's content was:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Mchl\My Documents\prv\openttd\openttd.exe"
    I've changed it to:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Mchl\My Documents\prv\openttd\openttd.exe" -b 32bpp-anim
  5. Accept the changes and basically you're done. You can now rename your shortcut to something like OpenTTD32bpp or whatever. And of course double click it to play in 32bpp.

ive done all the instructions, i have downloaded the nightly build yet i get this message(enclosed below), do you mean "v" instead of "b", if so i get a message saying "no such video driver: (what ever i type in)
Attachments
help
help
2.PNG (1.72 MiB) Viewed 609 times
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

0.5.3 is NOT a nightly.
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

oh where does the nightly go?, because i downloaded the new one
dannys9
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dannys9 »

Click here and enjoy :wink:
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

dannys9 wrote:Click here and enjoy :wink:
ive already downloaded it but where do u save it?

Return to “Graphics Development”