Engine and loading of 32bpp graphics is now in trunk!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Engine and loading of 32bpp graphics is now in trunk!

Post by Digitalfox »

Hello to all OpenTTD users! :D

As of revision 10143 ( in trunk ), you can now load 32bpp graphics in OpenTTD!!

Links for some read on how it works:

32bpp blitters and renderers

http://blog.openttd.org/?p=15

32bpp on Wiki

http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/32bpp

If you want to try this new engine grab a copy of a nightly:

http://www.openttd.org/nightly.php

Warning:

Any one who wants to code and use 32bpp graphics already made and available, please first ask permission from the artists in question..
These people have spent a lot of their time creating them and should be give the respect and the credit they deserve for their work :!:

PS.: ON revision 10161, a tool called PNGCodec was added, allowing to modify tEXt fields of PNGs (needed for 32bpp PNGs, to store x_offs and y_offs).
For more information have a look here in PNGCodec Topic: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=32684

Have fun.. :D
Last edited by Digitalfox on 29 Jun 2007 12:50, edited 9 times in total.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Also, for more information about the 32bpp format, you might want to read docs/32bpp.txt in the source. It still is a subject we work on, so expect changes and other features in the near future.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
pecet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pecet »

I don't even know that OpenTTD has official blog :shock: So thanks for information... :D
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Apologies if this has been asked and answered (feel free to remove this post if that's the case)...

Is there a planned release of any 32bpp packages from the Devs in the near-term, or is the plan to have the artists/coders working on other projects supply them as they develop?

Just wouldn't want to see anyone become upset if they spend time over the next few weeks/months re-working things like landscape, etc. if the devs have something already planned/in-progress to roll-out. Clearly the forums are blessed with many talented artists - be it pixel, photoshop, blender, etc. - want to make sure everyone stays enthused about things by not repeating others' efforts unnecessarily.
OTTD Dev Blog wrote:We won’t be doing a 3D version.

The graphics we as OpenTTD will supply, will always be close to TT graphics. We are not going renegade with some other kind of look and feel. We like TT as it is. (period!)
Fair enough :). Does this render the discussions about more balanced proportionality and sizing moot?
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:Apologies if this has been asked and answered (feel free to remove this post if that's the case)...

Is there a planned release of any 32bpp packages from the Devs in the near-term, or is the plan to have the artists/coders working on other projects supply them as they develop?

Just wouldn't want to see anyone become upset if they spend time over the next few weeks/months re-working things like landscape, etc. if the devs have something already planned/in-progress to roll-out. Clearly the forums are blessed with many talented artists - be it pixel, photoshop, blender, etc. - want to make sure everyone stays enthused about things by not repeating others' efforts unnecessarily.
We are setting up a website where we ask artists to post their 32bpp graphic next to the original 8bpp graphics. From this collection we will pick a subset and distribute it together with official OpenTTD releases. More about this soon.
Chicago Rail Authority wrote:
Fair enough :). Does this render the discussions about more balanced proportionality and sizing moot?
Yes.
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

TrueLight wrote:We are setting up a website where we ask artists to post their 32bpp graphic next to the original 8bpp graphics. From this collection we will pick a subset and distribute it together with official OpenTTD releases. More about this soon.
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems that there are many people who are itching to get started and see things get into the game ASAP. Glad to hear that you and the rest of the team have a structured approach ready to go. Sorry if posting the Q infringed on any element of surprise for the website :( - just thought that false-starts by eager artists/coders would be met with negative feedback. Personally, I'd prefer to see all the energy go towards positive results.
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:
TrueLight wrote:We are setting up a website where we ask artists to post their 32bpp graphic next to the original 8bpp graphics. From this collection we will pick a subset and distribute it together with official OpenTTD releases. More about this soon.
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems that there are many people who are itching to get started and see things get into the game ASAP. Glad to hear that you and the rest of the team have a structured approach ready to go. Sorry if posting the Q infringed on any element of surprise for the website :( - just thought that false-starts by eager artists/coders would be met with negative feedback. Personally, I'd prefer to see all the energy go towards positive results.
We have little secrets, I already announced it on the IRC channel, so don't worry about that. And yes, in the past a lot went wrong with 32bpp, so I am trying to be very careful in my steps, hoping that everyone enjoys creating and using 32bpp :) But this means that it goes a bit slow ;)
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

On revision 10161 it was added PNGCodec, a tool to modify tEXt fields of PNGs (needed for 32bpp PNGs, to store x_offs and y_offs).
MarkyParky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MarkyParky »

Hello,

you write in the blog, that:
Currently you need to place your PNGs in data/sprites/!!grfname-without-extension!!/!!SpriteID-as-in-grf!!.png. If you enabled the 32bpp-blitter, it will try to find this file and load it. Soon we will add tar-support which allows you to pack this dir to a single file.
I didnt find anywhere how exactly can I enable the 32bpp blitter. Some new line to add to openttd.cfg? Thank you for help.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

MarkyParky wrote:Hello,

you write in the blog, that:
Currently you need to place your PNGs in data/sprites/!!grfname-without-extension!!/!!SpriteID-as-in-grf!!.png. If you enabled the 32bpp-blitter, it will try to find this file and load it. Soon we will add tar-support which allows you to pack this dir to a single file.
I didnt find anywhere how exactly can I enable the 32bpp blitter. Some new line to add to openttd.cfg? Thank you for help.
I believe this is it "openttd has to be started with the param: -b 32bpp-simple "
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Great to see some progress on the 32 bpp project!

Eager to get it working, but I've got some questions:
-I svn-ed the latest trunk, configured and make-ed ( made ?) it. No problems so far.
-tried to replace sprite 2063 ( part of the lumbermill) so I created a directory data/trg1r/sprites with a 2063.png in it.
-started openttd with -b 32bpp-simple -d 1

The game started alright, but the new sprite did not show up.

So my questions are:
How do i find the correct grf-directory name, trg1r was the only one with a sprite 2063 in it?

How do I svn the PNGcodec tool, it did not show up in trunk?

The tar file loading is going to be implemented in the future, so I better not get rid of my 32bpp-tars?
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

GeekToo wrote:
-tried to replace sprite 2063 ( part of the lumbermill) so I created a directory data/trg1r/sprites with a 2063.png in it.
One has to learn to read ;) Dir is: data/sprites/trg1r
GeekToo wrote:
How do I svn the PNGcodec tool, it did not show up in trunk?
svn://svn.openttd.org/extra/pngcodec

Binaries will be published soon.
GeekToo wrote:
The tar file loading is going to be implemented in the future, so I better not get rid of my 32bpp-tars?
Depending on their content, you might want to move them outside your OpenTTD directory yes.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

TrueLight wrote:
I suppose so, sorry: I've got it working now
GeekToo wrote: How do I svn the PNGcodec tool, it did not show up in trunk?

Works fine, thanks for the link

Well, I've just implemented the first 32bpp sprite, and seen it in action in the game.
Looks amazing, perfect job!!
Though I miss the 2 extra zoom levels, but maybe that will reappear in the future.

Keep up the good work ! Cant wait to spend the rest of my evening to add some more sprites.
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

GeekToo wrote:
TrueLight wrote:
I suppose so, sorry: I've got it working now
GeekToo wrote: How do I svn the PNGcodec tool, it did not show up in trunk?

Works fine, thanks for the link

Well, I've just implemented the first 32bpp sprite, and seen it in action in the game.
Looks amazing, perfect job!!
Though I miss the 2 extra zoom levels, but maybe that will reappear in the future.

Keep up the good work ! Cant wait to spend the rest of my evening to add some more sprites.
Show us later ( when you have add some sprites ) some screenshot's so people start seeing in action 32bpp graphics and what they can do to the playing :)
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

I definitely want to show screenshots when I've finished more sprites. But I think the right way to do that is to ask the artists permission first, since I'm more talented in coding than in graphics so I used some png from the 32bpp branch, which I think is fine for my personal use, but I don't want to publish them without explicit permission.

So, if any graphics artist is reading this, please give me permission to use some of the images to show some test screenshots.
Ben_K
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_K »

Geek, you may not have had much experience with a member called Sergey... but put it this way - its so refreshing to see you asking for permission before posting 32pp screenshots. Im sure many, many people and artists here appreciate the gesture :)
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Ben_K wrote:Geek, you may not have had much experience with a member called Sergey... but put it this way - its so refreshing to see you asking for permission before posting 32pp screenshots. Im sure many, many people and artists here appreciate the gesture :)
I thought GeekToo, was referring to sprites made by him, or on another words 32bpp graphics made by him :wink:

GeekToo, it's nice to have people like you in this community :wink:

There are many 32bpp graphics for OpenTTD ( some finished and others not yet ), made by many artists here in the graphics forum and in OpenTTD Wiki, and i think it's nice to see this graphics that artists invested their time, being used for what they always wanted to see, a real openttd 32bpp game with their graphics ( not photoshop screenshot's ).. :)

However, i ask any one who wants to code and use 32bpp graphics already made and available, to please ask first permission from the artists in question..
These people have spent a lot of their time creating them and should be give the respect and the credit they deserve for their work :!:

We have now the opportunity, to make everything in the right way, so please do it right ;)
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Nice post, DF - I also hope that other people follow the example set by GeekToo...
Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Digitalfox »

Chicago Rail Authority wrote:Nice post, DF - I also hope that other people follow the example set by GeekToo...
Thank you :D
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

Geek you have permission to code my following sprites (for non commercial reasons of course):
4650_z0.png
4674_z0.png
found here:
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=29156&start=0

* They are both toyland sprites replacements with corresponding ID (4650, 4674).
* Please do not use other sprites posted there as they generaly are recoloured originals so there are copyright issues which some members of this forum are very strick about.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.

Return to “Graphics Development”