OpenTTD 0.5.1

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

OpenTTD 0.5.1

Post by Rubidium »

After long waiting we present OpenTTD 0.5.1. It's basically OpenTTD 0.5.0 with a fairly long list of all kinds of bugfixes, ranging from a desync to some Unicode fixes.

As the installation of the Microsft Unicode layer for Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows ME proved to be difficult, there is now a special win9x build for those platforms. Users of Windows 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista should use the win32 binary.

Downloads are over at http://www.openttd.org/downloads.php Please be patient while SF distributes the files and we compile more binaries.

Link to RC1 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.1-RC1
Link to RC2 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.1-RC2
Link to RC3 forum post: OpenTTD 0.5.1-RC3 (There were no changes between 0.5.1-RC3 and 0.5.1)

The most noticable new features in OpenTTD 0.5.1 are:
- An extra group for news messages related to opening/closing industries, so you can 'silence' all the industry production changes while still being notified about opening/closing industries.
- A new console command to list all patches and their values (list_patches).

Have fun with this new release!
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: OpenTTD 0.5.1

Post by maartena »

Rubidium wrote:(There were no changes between 0.5.1-RC3 and 0.5.1)
Unfortunately.... when I came home tonight from a baseball game (Anaheim Angels 8, Seattle Mariners 4, yeehaw!) and wanted to go ahead and compile 0.5.1, I noticed that one of my two RC3 servers had crashed.... with a segmentation fault.

I hope that bug doesn't exist in 0.5.1.....
Guess what! I got a fever! And the only prescription...... is MORE COWBELL!
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

This may not be the best place to ask but, on the wiki roadmap for 0.6 it shows that nearly everything is ready for it apart from new industries, does this mean there will be an intermediate release with some of the features, or will you just wait until new industries are completed and then start the release candidates for that?
CMircea
Chairman
Chairman

Post by CMircea »

RainierWatcher wrote:This may not be the best place to ask but, on the wiki roadmap for 0.6 it shows that nearly everything is ready for it apart from new industries, does this mean there will be an intermediate release with some of the features, or will you just wait until new industries are completed and then start the release candidates for that?
Not sure. But if you want to use what's done so far, get a nightly.
AlecTBM
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AlecTBM »

When does 0.5.1 come to linux?
RainierWatcher
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RainierWatcher »

Desolator wrote:
RainierWatcher wrote:This may not be the best place to ask but, on the wiki roadmap for 0.6 it shows that nearly everything is ready for it apart from new industries, does this mean there will be an intermediate release with some of the features, or will you just wait until new industries are completed and then start the release candidates for that?
Not sure. But if you want to use what's done so far, get a nightly.
Thats what I'm doing, but I wondered about when a proper version would come out, assuming that the nightlies don't have to be a certain amount ahead of release candidates.
dev|ant
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by dev|ant »

Sorry guys but I'll be sticking with RC2 for now. I was just in an online game and everyone lost complete control of their companies. Even though the client list said we still belonged to our respective co., we pretty much all became spectators.
Maedhros
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Maedhros »

Do you have a savegame from shortly before it happened?
No-one's more important than the earthworm.
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

AlecTBM wrote:When does 0.5.1 come to linux?
Depends on the distro...
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

AlecTBM wrote:When does 0.5.1 come to linux?
You can already get the source....

1)unzip source to a location and go to that folder.
2)as root, type ./configure
3)as root, type make
4)wait....
5)copy openttd.cfg to your new folder
6)copy graphics and sound files to new folder
7) start openttd.

In a nutshell. :)
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

Maedhros wrote:Do you have a savegame from shortly before it happened?
I don't think many people save their servers. I do not have autosave on my server as it pauses the game for a second or two while saving, which can cause people with slower connections to disconnect.

Nevertheless, I have encountered the EXACT behaviour he describes (users losing control over their companies, including myself as player one) with both 0.5.0 and RC2.

On both occasions, the fix was easy. Log off, log back in, got control back of company.

OpenTTD should really have a -Debug option that writes everything that it is doing to a logfile that can be analysed. But I guess thats just not that easy to implement.
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

OpenTTD has an option to log a lot of thing. Try "openttd -d9".
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

maartena wrote: 2)as root, type ./configure
3)as root, type make
You should only run these as a normal user, only "make install" should be done as root.
maartena wrote: 5)copy openttd.cfg to your new folder
File not found...
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

maartena wrote:OpenTTD should really have a -Debug option that writes everything that it is doing to a logfile that can be analysed.
They is a debug 'option' (compile time) to 'only' dump the locations where random is called, which is only a fraction of the actions that happens and it's logfiles become enormous very fast. 5 MB compressed for 30 seconds of an virtually empty game (a few vehicles and a small map and it writes it uncompressed. If I remember correctly it was about 100 MB for 30 seconds. This is exactly why we need a savegame where you trigger desync and other network related stuff fast.

Now you are suggesting to dump every function call with the values of it's parameters and every (global) variable change? That can easily write 10 to 100 MB per second, so unless you can reproduce it very quickly you run out of diskspace way before it is actually triggered.
maartena wrote:I don't think many people save their servers. I do not have autosave on my server as it pauses the game for a second or two while saving, which can cause people with slower connections to disconnect.
I'm certain they do; to be precise when somebody is joining. Look for a server savegame in save/autosave.
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

glx wrote:OpenTTD has an option to log a lot of thing. Try "openttd -d9".
Cool. Players are on the servers now, but I will reload the servers with the option -d9 next time and let em log stuff.

Whats the default logfile name?
Rubidium
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Rubidium »

maartena wrote:Whats the default logfile name?
stdout, i.e. it goes to the console.
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

-d outputs on stderr. So you need to redirect stderr to the file you want.
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

Rubidium wrote:I'm certain they do; to be precise when somebody is joining. Look for a server savegame in save/autosave.
The only thing I see there is "network_server.tmp"

No savegames there. As said, by default I have savegames turned off on my servers. It will just cause annoying little gamepauses each time it saves - especially with big maps and lots of players. But I suppose autosaving once a year can't hurt :)

I'll look into logging and turning autosaves back on. I had a 0.5.1 server crash on my earlier today (see topic in OpenTTD problems).
Last edited by maartena on 21 Apr 2007 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
glx
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by glx »

maartena wrote:The only thing I see there is "network_server.tmp"
It is a savegame :)
maartena
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by maartena »

glx wrote:
maartena wrote:The only thing I see there is "network_server.tmp"
It is a savegame :)
Ah!

The next time I have the crash issue described in the other topic I mentioned I will copy that file aside, and post it. :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”