Patch: Found a town

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Digitalfox
Chief Executive
Chief Executive
Location: Catch the Fox if you can... Almost 20 years and counting!

Post by Digitalfox »

TheJosh wrote:Yet another update. sorry about the delays.

I am starting to get sick of this patch. does anyone want it or should it be abandoned?
I love it :)

I honestly hope it gets in trunk :o
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

TheJosh wrote:Yet another update. sorry about the delays.

I am starting to get sick of this patch. does anyone want it or should it be abandoned?
I quite like the patch. Though if you're getting sick of it, then its probably better that you move onto something else. At least for me, if I get sick of a project my productivity with it decreases.

You can always come back to this patch after all
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheJosh »

Its not about productivity, the patch is complete.

Its just the constant re-releasing when the trunk code changes.
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheJosh »

ok its been ages, but ive updated.
Lachris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lachris »

Any news of, it getting into trunk? :oops:
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TheJosh »

not yet...there is a flyspray report though
griffin71
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

patch suggestion

Post by griffin71 »

Hi all,

I see this patch is done, but I have a kind of difficulty with it, as it allows the user to influence the game too directly and too much. It is similar to funding new industries: once you're at that level of wealth, to me the game is virutally over.
I'd like it much better, if towns could develop nearby villages (that are not on the map).

Newspaper: The village of Ducktown now has more than 10,000 inhabitants! -- Citizens cheer as new town hall is under construction.

or

Newspaper: The village of Blackpool has developed into a small town!

This is the way it more or less happens in RL - areas with a high traffic density and high populations are simply attractive to live in. Thus nearby villages of big cities develop and expand. In RL, often city growth is also limited by municipal borders. Municipal borders have been in the game from its start, so from that point of view, it's a logical step for the game to create new local authorities in traffic dense areas with high populations. In addition, new towns would give more structure to global development of the area.
A game worth playing is a game worth modding :-)
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: patch suggestion

Post by PouncingAnt »

griffin71 wrote:Hi all,

I see this patch is done, but I have a kind of difficulty with it, as it allows the user to influence the game too directly and too much. It is similar to funding new industries: once you're at that level of wealth, to me the game is virutally over.
I very much disagree that it allows the user to influence the game too much. It is a reward for the player having reached the status he has, in my opinion.

Yes, at that level of wealth the game is pretty much just a matter of building for the sake of building. So why not allow players at that stage to build towns? Seems OK to me.

My only qualm is not with the patch itself, but with the trunk. As one can not set the number of towns low enough to really justify using the found town option in most cases.
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
TheJosh
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Patch: Found a town

Post by TheJosh »

Updated again, first post as usual.
Want to make a real difference? Australia HOPE International - Bringing hope to African orphans and widows.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Nice idea. Couple of extra ideas:

To limit abuse (billionaires spawning towns everywhere), could you have a server-set limit of N towns that one player can found. Thus, a rich player can found, say, 3 towns maximum.

Founder should get option to name/rename town, and gets an automatic statue worth 10% to station ratings. (The founder is preferred by the residents of his/her town.)

Found towns of different sizes: cost is progressive though... 150 @ 14mill, 1500 @ 140mill, 15000 @ 1.4billion :)

A newly founded town has exclusive transport rights for the founder for the first 5 years.

Thoughts?
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Tom0004
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Tom0004 »

richk67 wrote:A newly founded town has exclusive transport rights for the founder for the first 5 years.Thoughts?

thats a really good idea, but i think the coding whould be to much, but i might be wrong :?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

We've already got exclusive rights, and I'm pretty sure it's stored as byte-of-months-remaining (it is in TTD). So, 5 years of exclusive rights is a simple matter of stuffing a 60 in there instead of the usual 12.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

DaleStan wrote:We've already got exclusive rights, and I'm pretty sure it's stored as byte-of-months-remaining (it is in TTD). So, 5 years of exclusive rights is a simple matter of stuffing a 60 in there instead of the usual 12.
Yes, it remained the same in OpenTTD. However stuffing 60 there will not prevent anybody from re-buying the rights, stuffing "their" 12 in it. And off you go, 5 year exclusive rights ... you can rebuy them back, but you'll get standard one year then.
If you need something, do it yourself or it will be never done.

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
LiOn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by LiOn »

I like this patch a lot. Unfortunately I failed to sync it with current trunk.

I really appreciate if you could update this patch once more.
Thank you.
DeXteRrBDN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeXteRrBDN »

i don't want to bother anyone, but I wanted to know which were the reasons to not get into trunk?

would be nice to get into, wouldn't it?
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

DeXteRrBDN wrote:i don't want to bother anyone, but I wanted to know which were the reasons to not get into trunk?

would be nice to get into, wouldn't it?
Since I see no response of the devs about the patch in this thread ... perhaps they have not noticed its existence. Is the patch in the bugtracker listed under patches? Putting it to http://bugs.openttd.org can usually guarantee devs will notice the patch and they may review it or post feedback about it (what needs to be improved, etc ..), although it won't guarantee they'll include it afterward. :)

As I looked at the patch briefly, I found no obvious bug or some major flaw, but I have not studied it deeply ... it's up to devs :)

My patches: Extra large maps (1048576 high, 1048576 wide) (FS#1059), Vehicle + Town + Industry console commands (FS#1060), few minor patches (FS#2820, FS#1521, FS#2837, FS#2843), AI debugging facility

Other: Very large ships NewGRF, Bilbo's multiplayer patch pack v5 (for OpenTTD 0.7.3)
DeXteRrBDN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by DeXteRrBDN »

Bilbo wrote:Since I see no response of the devs about the patch in this thread ... perhaps they have not noticed its existence. Is the patch in the bugtracker listed under patches? Putting it to http://bugs.openttd.org can usually guarantee devs will notice the patch and they may review it or post feedback about it (what needs to be improved, etc ..), although it won't guarantee they'll include it afterward. :)

As I looked at the patch briefly, I found no obvious bug or some major flaw, but I have not studied it deeply ... it's up to devs :)
Does it ( http://bugs.openttd.org/task/759 ) mean the patch is "in the bugtracker listed under patches"?

Seems that has been not noticed or it has no feedback at all, maybe it's a matter of time to get into the trunk.

Thx to take your time Bilbo, i didn't know about the existence of the Bugtracker

EDIT: maybe it should be sended at patch@openttd.org
bobulator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bobulator »

Great idea!

With the "Found towns" patch, I would like it if in the difficulty settings, you could change the price of founding towns.

Can you control what shape the towns would be? maybe by drawing on roads.
Erm...
Thats It.
Bilbo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bilbo »

bobulator wrote:Great idea!

With the "Found towns" patch, I would like it if in the difficulty settings, you could change the price of founding towns.

Can you control what shape the towns would be? maybe by drawing on roads.
You can do it by normal towns too - draw the roads you like, draw some bariers around (crossed railroad tracks, "buy land" signs ... ) where you want the city to go no further ... and the city would be unable to violate whatever is drawn (they may just not fill entirely whatever you have drawn right at start) - then do as with normal cities - wait for it to grow, possibly helping it by introducing passenger transport, etc ..

Reto
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Reto »

I've updated the patch to the latest revision (r11725). Josh, I hope you don't mind. So fare I haven't done anything for OpenTTD, so I'm not sure if everything is at it should be

Please be aware that the patch increases the save game version to 84.

Reto
Attachments
fund-town-r11725.patch
(11.08 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”