Deleting the Sea?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Deleting the Sea?

Post by mosfet »

Can anyone explain to me why I can delete sea/ocean/water tiles for a relatively large amount of money, only for them to be covered up in a few seconds?

It's incredibly annoying, especially at the start of a game when you've got very limitted money.
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Well blowing up water is going to be rather expensive! why do you want to blow it up anyway? If you want to stop it disappearing however just buy the land quickly, or place canals on the edge pieces at that will stop the water spreading onto the already blown up land.
mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mosfet »

I can't see why anyone would do it on purpose, it's annoying because it happens accidentally or you go to delete a dock and accidently hit the water next to it, or you go to click the 'x' in the corner of the landscape window only to hit the sea next to it.

I just don't understand why the ability to delete a tile of sea is even part of the game, there's no conceivable situation that you'd have to do this.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Of course there is.

If you have walled in a piece of sea with dikes all around and 'destroy' all the water inside the area will not flood back. Now you can go all dutch and build on the sea-level hoping nobody destroys your dikes ;)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Well about purchasing tiles that are destroyed water tiles, aren't they supposed to flood aswell, but then only the water tile is yours? :)
mosfet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mosfet »

Darkvater wrote:Of course there is.

If you have walled in a piece of sea with dikes all around and 'destroy' all the water inside the area will not flood back. Now you can go all dutch and build on the sea-level hoping nobody destroys your dikes ;)
Aha, a use. This had been puzzling me. :)

Cheers.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”