Can't Bring up TTD

Problems with Transport Tycoon?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Can you just "Save and Exit" and run the game from the TT folder?

Alternatively (and I know this is a well-used line), edit the Config files yourself.

Desperate to have you back playing and making maps, Jim.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Jim Powers
President
President

Getting all those grf back

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Worley;

Thanks for your interest, my good Friend. Here's actually where I'm at. The computer
techinican got the game back, but, he had to put it in a new folder. So, now I don't
get 'No entry point' at the black DOS sign. However, I do get this sign, (which I found
out after he left,) when I try to run the game from The Configurator, and the Graphics
Manager. So, now I have a grf problem. All day I've tried to correct this problem, I now,
get the original grf and some of the newer grf, but, though I've put all the same grf
in both the 'Newgrf' and also in the main folder, I only get just a part of the regular
grf which I've always used. I did manually run the config file, but, I don't know how
to manually insert th grfs. :(

I am about ready to 'toss in the towel' and put my time and efforts some place else,
much to my dismay, but, what can I really do? Mr. Stevenh has been super
helpful, but he's at a deadend too. I just wish I was smarter at things like this, but,
of course I'm not.

Always,
Jim Powers
Dave

Re: Getting all those grf back

Post by Dave »

Jim Powers wrote:Mr. Worley;

Thanks for your interest, my good Friend. Here's actually where I'm at. The computer
techinican got the game back, but, he had to put it in a new folder. So, now I don't
get 'No entry point' at the black DOS sign. However, I do get this sign, (which I found
out after he left,) when I try to run the game from The Configurator, and the Graphics
Manager. So, now I have a grf problem. All day I've tried to correct this problem, I now,
get the original grf and some of the newer grf, but, though I've put all the same grf
in both the 'Newgrf' and also in the main folder, I only get just a part of the regular
grf which I've always used. I did manually run the config file, but, I don't know how
to manually insert th grfs. :(

I am about ready to 'toss in the towel' and put my time and efforts some place else,
much to my dismay, but, what can I really do? Mr. Stevenh has been super
helpful, but he's at a deadend too. I just wish I was smarter at things like this, but,
of course I'm not.

Always,
Jim Powers
No worries Jim. If you write a list of all the .grfs you want, and send it to me, i'll construct a config for you. Then what you should do is double click the patched TT icon in the folder that your tech moved it to.

You may have already done that and I could have missed the point, but we have to try.

Flickr

Jim Powers
President
President

Grf List

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Worley;

Thank You, Pal. I'm real sorry to be a burden to TT-Forums family, but, if I can get TTD
back to at least where it was, then I'll be able to hopefully make more and better scenarios.
I wish I could do more for you all.

Here's my grf 'wish'list:

Always,
(A sad) Jim powers
Attachments
newgrfw.cfg
Ihope this is my grf list
(914 Bytes) Downloaded 133 times
Dave

Post by Dave »

There are a lot of "obsolete" files in this newgrf list... Do I have your permission to go ahead and make it a bit more efficient? (I obiously won't remove any of the vehicles, buildings, etc.)

Also, do you have all of these files on your computer already?

Flickr

Jim Powers
President
President

Grf Files

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Dave Worley;

Yes, certainly you have my permission. I just don't know which is which, so, i didn't do
anything with them. Now, I have this list in my new TTD folder and in the newgrf file
already. What my problem is, is that only a part of them finally wound up on the grey
Graphics Menu, on the top left hand corner.

Always,
Jim Powers
Dave

Re: Grf Files

Post by Dave »

Jim Powers wrote:What my problem is, is that only a part of them finally wound up on the grey
Graphics Menu, on the top left hand corner.

Always,
Jim Powers
That'd be in the configurator?

Flickr

Jim Powers
President
President

Configurator

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Dave Worley;

That's where the problem lies. I can't "Run the Game" from either The Configurator
nor the Game Manager. Both have the original problem sign (attached), thus, I can't
get the grfs on the 'grey menu'. :roll:

BTW, these two programs are the only programs where I now get this dumb sign.

Always,
Jim Powers
Attachments
Same for The Configurator and Game Manager
Same for The Configurator and Game Manager
GameGFX 002.PNG (12.83 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hi Jim,

Could you go into the DOS prompt (Start -> Run -> type cmd and press OK), and try typing the following please?

CD \ [press enter]
dir kernel32.dll /s /a > c:\kernel.txt [press enter]
exit [press enter]

This will create a file called kernel.txt in the root of your hard drive. Could you try attaching that to a post please?

I don't know if anyone else has checked this, but it -may- be that there's some sort of rogue kernel32.dll on your computer somewhere.
Jim Powers
President
President

File not found

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Rudge;

I'm so sorry to take up space on a stupid problem that has me going crazy, and also
taking the time of so many of the good members of TT-forums, who could be working
on something that would enhance TTD even more, but, it looks like I am. Sorry, my
good Friend.

Now, I did go to DOS prompt and I typed what you asked. It said "No File found".
Here's the way I typed it.
CD
dir kernel32.dll/s/a>c:\kernel.txt
exit

I think I did everything right(?)

Always,
Jim Powers
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Don't know if you typed it exactly as you wrote it here Jim, but you did forget to add some spaces :
Orudge wrote:kernel32.dll /s /a > c:\kernel.txt
Jim wrote:kernel32.dll/s/a>c:\kernel.txt
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Jim Powers
President
President

Spaces

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. Rob;

Thanks Buddy. I didn't know you could make spaces in DOS. Anyway,
I got this (see attached Pic.)

Always,
Jim Powers
Attachments
Here's what I got
Here's what I got
kernel32.dll hard drive 001.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 2712 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

That's not a valid result. Please try again.

This time, show us a screenshot of the command prompt before typing 'exit', in addition to attaching the file kernel.txt.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

Actually, that's exactly the same result as I get, and I know (and checked) that I (at least) have a kernel32.dll in \Windows\System32\

I think the /a is wrong, so I tried again with the command line

Code: Select all

dir kernel32.dll /s
which did find six copies, all in \Windows\system32\ or other subfolders to \Windows\ (service packs, dllcache, other updates)

Jim, you should try again without the /a. I think you will find a couple of copies, you too. Don't panic! Just show the results here and we'll continue the debugging...
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Hmm, the /a should work, it should search within hidden folders, etc.

Jim, I did notice that you forgot the \ (backslash) when you typed CD. Could you ensure you type CD \, and not just CD please? It does make a difference. Then attach that kernel.txt file.

Thanks! :)
AndersI
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by AndersI »

orudge wrote:Hmm, the /a should work, it should search within hidden folders, etc.
I just checked, and there's a definite difference if you start your 'DOS window' as 'command.com' compared to 'cmd.exe'.

In 'command.com' dir /a didn't work, while in 'cmd.exe' it did.

So, Jim should click 'Start' --> 'Run' and enter cmd.exe as the program name to make sure the right command interpreter runs.
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

I have a really bad feeling Kernel32.dll has been sitting somewhere in the TTD directory (or %PATH% for some time and it's a bad version). No searches have found this... but it's gotta be there somewhere...

Jim, Can I suggest that when Dave Worley returns with a working config (and /newgrfw folder?) that you start running TTD out of the new folder by simply double-clicking on ttdpatchw.exe instead of using any configuration applications?

We can easily create a short-cut on the desktop direct to ttdpatchw.exe instead of via the configurator. I wonder if the offending DLL(s) are in the configurator directory?
Jim Powers
President
President

Post by Jim Powers »

Mr. AndersI;

Thanks, my good Friend, for taking more time with my kernel problem. This morning
I've tried both ways, with /a and without. I heard the computer running but both times
nothing came up. I tried to "search" but found no dir kernel32.dll /s /a > C:\kernel.txt file
It comes back with just C:\>
Oh, I put the in CD \ first. Exactly where are the [space]s in the command line?

I tend to agree with my faithful Friend, Mr. Stevenh, that the problem that keeps me from
playing TTD is through the Configurator or Graphic Manager. I simply can't "run"
the game through either one of these two fine utility programs. Another question;
does this cause the game to crash? I downloaded Mr. Stacy W.'s game which crashes
when I try to 'move' to another location on the game. Of course the red sign comes up
saying that I don't have enough grf stuff etc. That's the only game I've tried.

Always,
Jim Powers
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Jim, coming back to C:\> (or D:\> as the case further may be) is ok!
The data we want is inside the kernel.txt you have created for us...

But firstly, I also need you to run this code in the 'Command Prompt' (cmd or command as previously done)

Code: Select all

D:\
CD\
dir kernel32.dll /s /a > D:\kernel.txt
In the end, there will be a kernel.txt in both C:\ and D:\ (browse to them through My Computer) and then post them as attachments here :)

Thanks Jim, we're nearly there!
Dave

Post by Dave »

stevenh:

Well Jim sent me his newgrf.cfg file, the question is whether he already has these .grf in his TT folder.

If he DOES, then he should just try what you said and start the game manuall rather than through the configurators.

If that doesn't work I'll carry on building the newgrf folder and file for him.

Flickr

Return to “Problems”