Ignorant ppl @ ALL SERVER ADMINS @ OPENTTD READ THIS

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

robinNL
Engineer
Engineer

Ignorant ppl @ ALL SERVER ADMINS @ OPENTTD READ THIS

Post by robinNL »

Hey all, im just to sick of this, cause it happend again today, just have to blow of some steam.

Server admins should pay some more attention if they ban anyone from there server.

Also they should ask questions to all ppl on the server, inc. all ppl involved with the incident.

For the second time today i got banned because some asshole started to dam in my oil ref, i removed the barrier, bought all land arround it, he planted another barrier, and a train station above it, i blocked his station and i got the blame.

Stupid ignorant server admin who f*** up my sundayevenin', thanks a lot.

Also thanks to the f*** that started it, u did a very nice job.

The point of this message, stating that im retiring from OpenTTD internet gaming cause of ur kind and to state that pplz should pay more attention if they run a server (and be fair).

Robin
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Why didn't you complain to the admin immediately, instead of retaliating?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

And also... Which server?
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
t2t2
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Ignorant ppl @ ALL SERVER ADMINS @ OPENTTD READ THIS

Post by t2t2 »

robinNL wrote:Server admins should pay some more attention if they ban anyone from there server.

Also they should ask questions to all ppl on the server, inc. all ppl involved with the incident.
Well, i spouse I'm then good at server administrating (Yesterday, someone forgot to P/W their company, and then got 2 other players in his company. The 2nd one started spending cash in nonsense and orginal company owner told me to kick that guy. He started spamming and got a kick. Then he came back, spammed more and got a ban with kick :lol:)

Call me for open ttd server managing at my.email@in.profile. :P
Kanibal wrote::twisted: :twisted: Why is illegal stuff always fun :twisted: :twisted:
Refresh page and my avatar colors will change!
Ploes
President
President

Post by Ploes »

The best I've seen a server do is as soon as something starts to go wrong.... they Pause the game.... Its the only way to get everyones attention on the server.

What made me laugh is that as soon as the game was paused the offending player left on their own, and the server subsequently banned them via IP address.

Sometimes its very clear who was in the wrong. In your case I hope the server also banned the other offending player.

<Slightly Off Topic Rant>
What irritates me is that the in game chat is so frequently ignored.
When people join a server its so rare to even get a "Hello" now!
If I wanted to play with zero interaction I would just be playing the game on my own!
</Slightly Off Topic Rant>
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

People, people, people. If you're going to play multiplayer, get together a bunch of people on IRC and create a passworded server and play there.

While more of a hassle to get going, the experiance is a hell of a lot more enjoyable, and you immediatly sidestep incidents like this.

Not only that, it allows for co-ordination of things like NewGRF sets, which can really make a game all the more enjoyable.

You play on public servers, heck, in almost any game, and you have to deal with half-arsed server admins, and arsehole players. I would have thought that would be known as a universal constant by now...
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

robinNL wrote:Hey all, im just to sick of this, cause it happend again today, just have to blow of some steam.
Good for you, do you want a cookie? I understand your need to "blow off steam", but there are FAR more productive ways to do it, especially without swearing or having a little rant.

So just calm right on down, this is a GAME, if it stops being fun, you STOP PLAYING.
Server admins should pay some more attention if they ban anyone from there server.
I find it amusing that you want to throw down this massive, blanket statement, when you have ONE notably bad experience on ONE partiular server, with ONE other gamer. Yes, that's CLEAR evidence that EVERYONE needs to tighten up, good logic on that one.
Who has the time to do all that these days. Really, it should be a simple matter of "hey look, that player is breaking the rules/not playing for fun, kick 'em out".
For the second time today i got banned because some asshole started to dam in my oil ref
Wow, that must have been hard for you. You're THAT shocking at TTD that ONE oil refinery dammed up will ruin your company? Poor dear.
i removed the barrier, bought all land arround it, he planted another barrier, and a train station above it, i blocked his station and i got the blame.
See now the CORRECT response would have been to either:

1. Contact someone in power and ask them to fix it.
2. Take your toy trains and play at someone elses house.
Stupid ignorant server admin who f*** up my sundayevenin', thanks a lot.
Wow, you're BLAMING the guy RUNNING the server here, in public, using foul language, when some other player ruined your game? That certainly seems fair. There is no need to swear, and if that really affects you that much, perhaps you shouldn't be on the internet. There are people out there who will want things their own way, and a bit of give and take is needed, as well as the ability to go "hey, this isn't fun anymore, I'm going to do something else".
Also thanks to the f*** that started it, u did a very nice job.
I must point out that your vocabulary and ability to deal with problems is incredibly... lacking (for want of a better term).
The point of this message, stating that im retiring from OpenTTD internet gaming
I'm sure thats a huge loss.
cause of ur kind and to state that pplz should pay more attention if they run a server (and be fair).
Well, if this is how you're going to react, then better off without you.

Now, next time, you attack the situation calmly, and perhaps you won't get the blame for something you've (not) done wrong. However, this is a CLASSIC example of what NOT to do, because you're just going to alienate everyone who would have agreed with you.

Next time, post a calm message describing and naming the server, and asking that it not happen again. Because I sure as hell feel NO sympathy to you right now, because you acted like a little kid, spitting the dummy when people wouldn't play with your rules.

God, grow up if you want to get anywhere...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

This wasn't my server (I know, because my server isn't running at the moment), but in defence of server admins everywhere, I'd like to point out that we can't sit on the game twenty-four hours a day, every day. We have to sleep sometimes, and we have to attend our day jobs.

Many server admins are both attentive and fair. Some servers have their house rules available on a web site, in which case it's a good idea to check these rules out.

Many server administrators hate vigilantism. Don't fight fire with fire; if a player is playing antisocially, contact the admin (a good admin leaves contact details somewhere). Players who fight back will more often than not find themselves banned too.

Remember, servers are there at the sole privilege of their admins. You do not have a right to a fair trial. If you're not polite to them, they'll exclude you just to make their life quieter. Be courteous and you'll get a like response. Kick up a huge fuss, start swearing, and just watch how quickly your company gets deleted.

On the other side of that, the server admin is almost certainly running the server because they love the game, and want to share that with other people. If you're there to play nicely, you'll be welcomed in the future. We love regular players!
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Aloysha
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Aloysha »

Seconded Brianetta's comments. Except that 'contactable' part. I really should look into Autopilot or some such which gives users some information about the server when they join.

There are currently only two people who have rcon access to my servers; myself and Sirkoz; so I'm fairly certain this wasn't me. However having said that, chill out. It's a pub server and these things are (unfortunately) bound to happen. I say move away from whatever industry you were trying to work with and let the jerk (if that's how you see him) have it. It's just a game, you know?
Last edited by Aloysha on 13 Nov 2006 11:18, edited 1 time in total.
Cura Internet OpenTTD
csuke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by csuke »

To be honest it sounds like it was right you got banned (from what you say at least). This "barrier" he was building sounds very much like raising sufficient land to build a station next to the industry. You seem to be so stupid as to think you have some ownership over the refinery and were getting jealous of the fact he was probably (almost certainly in fact, because you sound like a n00b) going to provide a better service to said refinery (maybe he was tealing "your" oil to take to the refinery as well..?).
So you remove his station foundations, and proceed to try and stop him re-building by buying all the land and then stop him again when he finally manages to build his station.

To top it all off you moan like f*ck on here when you deservedly get banned.

You, sir, are an Arse
RiTi
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RiTi »

Raichase wrote:God, grow up if you want to get anywhere...
You are right with your reaction. :wink: This forum is not the place for this kind of reaction. Can this topic be closed?
Keep life simple...
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Why don't you go host your own server with your own rules where only the people who you allow can play. If you won't do this you have nothing to say about people who host public servers, they can't be around all the time or look at everything in the game all the time.
And you would probably also have deserved my ban, after I spoke to you about it (where you would probably say the same thing as you've said in the FP), it really sounds like you were deleting his stuff and trying to "own" the oil refinery.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

RiTi wrote:
Raichase wrote:God, grow up if you want to get anywhere...
You are right with your reaction. :wink: This forum is not the place for this kind of reaction. Can this topic be closed?
Good idea. I was hoping that the owner of the server could come here and explain to us all what we already knew, at least giving them right of reply to this brat. However, having recieved a sound thumping by the community, enough is enough.

If the server owner WOULD like to excerise their right of reply, I can unlock the topic for them if they contact myself, or another moderator (or OTTD developer, for that matter) via PM.

Summary - This kind of topic = bad.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club

Return to “General OpenTTD”