Sprite request: "autoreplace" button (new size)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Sprite request: "autoreplace" button (new size)

Post by Bjarni »

Now I added another button, that lacks a sprite. This time the button will autoreplace all vehicles in the depot (like all of them just entered the depot).

The button is 11x11, so I think the image size is 10x10 (not much, I know). Also the TTD WIN palette should be used (as usual)

Due to the limited space, I think that we will need something simple here. I'm thinking about an arrow pointing up (UPgrade), but it could also be something else.

[UPDATE]: I figured out how to move stuff around to make room for a 22x22 button, so it can use a 21x21 sprite

Hopefully somebody can make more interesting sprites with that size :wink:
Attachments
autoreplace_button.png
autoreplace_button.png (10.04 KiB) Viewed 5466 times
Last edited by Bjarni on 29 Sep 2006 13:31, edited 1 time in total.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I've managed to design three icons featuring arrows, but nothing else can fit into them except the arrows. (The arrows obscure anything else)

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Born Acorn wrote:I've managed to design three icons featuring arrows, but nothing else can fit into them except the arrows. (The arrows obscure anything else)

yeah, the size might be too small. Now that I opened up for larger sprites, I hope something better will show up :roll:
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

So another try, this time I hope I don't miss te topic ;) *lol*.
4 diffrent pic. Choose yourself.
Attachments
autoreplace.pcx
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
autoreplace.png
autoreplace.png (1.43 KiB) Viewed 5343 times
preview.png
preview.png (1.37 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
ValHallA|SW
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ValHallA|SW »

Hmm, I think an icon with a circular arrow would make the message 'autoreplace' more clear... just my $0.02 of course ;)
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I think you're thinking of autorenew, not autoreplace.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I'm wondering what it would look like with a recycle icon

maybe as a standalone icon or in front of a vehicle. Maybe the best would be to make this in front of every vehicle type.

With 21x21, I think we can do better than the arrow. I don't really like it for some reason. Maybe the best sprite is something nobody have mentioned yet.

[EDIT] to clarify: this is a jpg I found with google to tell what kind of icon I had in mind, not the actual sprite I'm considering to add to the game. It got the wrong colour palette, it's too big and so on :wink:
Last edited by Bjarni on 29 Sep 2006 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

DaleStan wrote:I think you're thinking of autorenew, not autoreplace.
yeah... good point. Still, I don't like the arrow...

Maybe a different arrow. A smaller/shorter one maybe
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Bjarni wrote:I'm wondering what it would look like with a recycle icon
You stole my idea! Don't try to deny it, I talked to you about it on IRC ;).

I got a little proof of concept at http://xeryustc.cjb.net/replace.png.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

XeryusTC wrote:You stole my idea! Don't try to deny it, I talked to you about it on IRC ;)
I will not deny it. I was wondering "now who was it, who said that yesterday. Now I know :wink:

I don't think that proof of concept is good. Try to make a 21x21 one.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Bjarni wrote:I'm wondering what it would look like with a recycle icon
The funny thing is I thought about it too, after I send my first try's. So here are the results.
Attachments
autorenew.pcx
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
autorenew.png
autorenew.png (1.55 KiB) Viewed 5205 times
preview.png
preview.png (1.3 KiB) Viewed 5207 times
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I really like skidd13's latest. I would just suggest a little nudge... push the recycle symbol up to the top-right 1-2 pixels, and the vehicle image 1-2 pixels down to the bottom-left. It would make the item being replaced clearer, without weakening the recycle symbol.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

So, replacement complete:
I: original one
II: new one
Attachments
autorenew2.pcx
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
autorenew2.png
autorenew2.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
preview.png
preview.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
---
---
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Instead of arrows, why not a 'plus' sign on top of the locomotive? :)
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Mr. X wrote:Instead of arrows, why not a 'plus' sign on top of the locomotive? :)
I think a + could be the sign for clone a train or add another engine too. So the arrows might be cleaner.
---
---
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Hmmm, yes that's probably true.

I just tought of a game that had the '+' sign as upgrade logo so there was my idea. :wink: :P
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

skidd13 wrote:
Mr. X wrote:Instead of arrows, why not a 'plus' sign on top of the locomotive? :)
I think a + could be the sign for clone a train or add another engine too. So the arrows might be cleaner.
btw I'm still looking for new clone vehicle sprites. The request our requests for sprites so far haven't resulted in anything useful. :(
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Bjarni wrote:btw I'm still looking for new clone vehicle sprites. The request our requests for sprites so far haven't resulted in anything useful. :(
I talked with Belugas via PM, and helped him a bit. The last time I saw the sprites, they looked quite OK. So just ask him.
---
---
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

skidd13 wrote:I talked with Belugas via PM, and helped him a bit. The last time I saw the sprites, they looked quite OK. So just ask him.
We still use the train icons for all vehicle types and I wonder if they should be changed to be a little more consistent. Now that we got all the other new icons, autoreplace is kind of out of place.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Ok, I'll see what I can do to fit into all typ's.
---
---

Return to “Graphics Development”