Crashing planes

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Crashing planes

Post by GFORCE100 »

I asked about this some months ago and wanted to give the developers time to see if they can fix this issue.

Now months on I think it's OK (without sounding as if I'm moaning) to check up on what the status is.

The problem surrounded why planes continue to crash when disasters is turned off. I've downloaded the latest nighty yesterday to check on progress and it still happens.

Any chance when/if it will be fixed? I looked at the source code but I can't find where to change it, the code lacks many comments making it difficult to follow.

All I end up doing now year on year is replacing planes and since I have over 1000, 95% of the time I don't even know which plane crashes since the news doesn't appear.

It happens regardless how short I make the service interval.

Please don't think I'm moaning, just that it makes playability very tedious and unrealistic given that 90% of my planes are the Dingo 200's with a reliability rating of 95%.

Thanks,
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

So no one knows nothing? Or am I sounding really demanding?
Expresso
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Expresso »

The problem with planes is that they're unbalanced - they're makeing way to much money, relative to the other transport types. That's why they keep crashing iirc.
Wold
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Wold »

Expresso wrote:The problem with planes is that they're unbalanced - they're makeing way to much money, relative to the other transport types. That's why they keep crashing iirc.
that's why they are slowed down! compare the speed of the planes in the original ( or the patch ) and ottd...
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

Yes but in real life planes are also the quickest form of transport unless you count special trains but on big maps you can't have a rail road everywhere as it would take too long too build.

Plus planes can fly anywhere, trains need tracks that might not necesserily unveil the shortest path from A to B.

Planes also queue to land at busy airports.
Psycho0124
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Psycho0124 »

The cost of running aircraft should be increased to compensate for this. Jet fuel is not cheap. Also the mainenance adds up quickly. In reality, aircraft comanies struggle to make a profit even with insanely high passanger and cargo rates. If you run an aircraft only netowrk in Ott as is, you can expect unrealistic massive profit..
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

Psycho0124 wrote:The cost of running aircraft should be increased to compensate for this. Jet fuel is not cheap. Also the mainenance adds up quickly. In reality, aircraft comanies struggle to make a profit even with insanely high passanger and cargo rates. If you run an aircraft only netowrk in Ott as is, you can expect unrealistic massive profit..
I wouldn't mind if it cost more to run, you have to spend money to make money, but if my company has a performance rating of 971, it's just unrealistic for planes to crash regardlesss how much servicing I give them. All my planes are on auto replace after 20 years howver this doesn't contribute to safe flying in the game. Planes crash regardless.
Firestar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Firestar »

you said that you have over a 1000 planes are stacked up over the airport, your problem most likely is with so many planes they are running out of fuel, I see it in my game, the news paper pops up and says the plane crashes from running out of fuel, the AI loves planes, but starting a plane then removing the airport, leaves them nowhere to land, the same go's for a lot of planes flying around the airport waiting to land, if a plane is ready to land and can not get a spot, it go's around again so another one takes the runaway before it. try reducing the number of planes trying to land together,
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

Firestar wrote:you said that you have over a 1000 planes are stacked up over the airport, your problem most likely is with so many planes they are running out of fuel, I see it in my game, the news paper pops up and says the plane crashes from running out of fuel, the AI loves planes, but starting a plane then removing the airport, leaves them nowhere to land, the same go's for a lot of planes flying around the airport waiting to land, if a plane is ready to land and can not get a spot, it go's around again so another one takes the runaway before it. try reducing the number of planes trying to land together,
Never had news mention the reason was fuel. It only says plane crashed at X killing Y people.

The map is 2048x2048 and some routes are very long. A plane never crashes somewhere far away from the airport, it's always on the runway. If it didn't have enough fuel it would surely creash anywhere on the map??
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

Expresso wrote:The problem with planes is that they're unbalanced - they're makeing way to much money, relative to the other transport types. That's why they keep crashing iirc.
Some planes are making as much money as some of my trains but not all, it really depends on the airpot, route distance and how long a plane must taxi before landing.

Given the number of vehicles I have and how strong they are at earning money (coal, oil, farms, wood) I'm still only making about 500-600 milion profit per year over a turnover over £1 billion or more. Given how much it costs to run and build true infrastructures (north to south, east to west) it's really not all that much money...or is it? For the amount of time, effort, planning and building costs, I would be surprised if I couldn't bring in the millions.

Coal and oil trains especially are good at earning big money t othe same affect as some planes, even the Concorde types it seems. I've noticed Concorde taxi less because they get more approaches at the runways.

P.S Maybe I should also say in regards to the above about fuel, most my airports are now intercontinental with 2 in and 2 our runways each. Still don't get if it's fuel why would a plane crash on a runway but never during flight.
Firestar
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Firestar »

do you have break downs enabled, I had a concord the other day, with break downs enabled, as you know they treval at 2000 k/h wel the other day, I had the slowest plane passing them, it was smoking badly, and only trevaling at 200 k/h did not think it was going to make the land,
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

Firestar wrote:do you have break downs enabled, I had a concord the other day, with break downs enabled, as you know they treval at 2000 k/h wel the other day, I had the slowest plane passing them, it was smoking badly, and only trevaling at 200 k/h did not think it was going to make the land,
No breakdowns is disabled as is disasters.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

GFORCE100 wrote:No breakdowns is disabled
Well, there's your problem. Enable no breakdowns.

Actually, that won't do any good at all (AFAIK, the only way to disable plane crashes is to use TTDPatch), but please think about what you're saying, and make sure it makes sense.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
GFORCE100
Engineer
Engineer

Post by GFORCE100 »

DaleStan wrote:
GFORCE100 wrote:No breakdowns is disabled
Well, there's your problem. Enable no breakdowns.

Actually, that won't do any good at all (AFAIK, the only way to disable plane crashes is to use TTDPatch), but please think about what you're saying, and make sure it makes sense.
It should have read.

No, breakdowns is disabled.

Implying the option "Breakdowns" is disabled.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Planes will continue to crash just as trains and road vehicles do, whether or not Disasters is on or off.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Crashing planes

Post by Darkvater »

GFORCE100 wrote:Any chance when/if it will be fixed? I looked at the source code but I can't find where to change it, the code lacks many comments making it difficult to follow.
aircraft_cmd.c:1317 MaybeCrashAirplane(). Doesn't sound too hard to find imho. It even has the word 'crash' in there (and airplane). Just uncomment "CrashAirplane(v);" and the station rating affections above it, recompile and be done with it.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Wold wrote:
that's why they are slowed down! compare the speed of the planes in the original ( or the patch ) and ottd...
OTTD uses the original speeds. It's the patch that speeds them up.

Planes crashing are so you don't go around putting concordes onto small airports. You must upgrade to larger airports to decrease the crash risk.
MacLir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MacLir »

So, then why would I have planes crashing on an Intercontinental Airport when both breakdowns and disasters have been disabled from the start? I completely understand why planes crash when 'breakdowns' are enabled, as well as why its considered a breakdown rather than a disaster. But what I'm failing to understand is the fact that crashes still occur when breakdowns are disabled. Your planes should either be crash-prone or not, period. There should be no random crashes every now and again, unless disasters were left enabled.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Why do my trains still crash? Why do my buses still get hit by trains?

It's all for the same reason. It's a feature. Not a bug.
MacLir
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MacLir »

A 'feature', now that's laughable. Obviously, you're doing something to your lines to cause trains to crash. As for the road vehicles crashing, that's the reason why all my roads that would intersect a rail use bridges over or tunnels under, no exceptions. We have no options, whatsoever, for planes to never crash.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”