Shares Trading

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Shares Trading

Post by richk67 »

I have been thinking about a better system for share ownership and dealing, that reflects the real world a bit better, and makes more sense (to me).

My idea is that there are 3 types of shares; owner's shares, on-offer shares, and shareholder shares.

1) There is an initial quantity of shares in a company, held 100% by the original player. If you want to keep your company private, just never offer shares. However, this means you lose the opportunity for gaining investment funds from other companies.

2) If a company wants to gain some investment funds, it can offer share options in steps of 5%. The maximum a player may offer is 50% of the shares (a player always retains controlling stake in their own company). When another player buys shares, the company gets the money (minus a trading commission). So you are offering a share in the dividend for an investment from the other players.

Computer players may be bought out. Your maximum stake is 30%. When you try to buy another 5%, you must buy out the whole computer's 50% at the standard price, and everyone else's stakes @ +15%. (You would be given a dialog option on this). This is not optional to the other players - in the real world, you either accept the mandatory offer, or lose your shares for nothing. (eg. Manchester Utd takeover) In this idea, the other share owners have no choice - they get the mandatory price. (Hence the +15% bonus).

3) All players with shares get a dividend from the annual profit of the company. As a lot of the company profit is used for self-investment, the dividend would be limited to 15% of the annual profit (or of the current balance, if balance < 15% of profit). This is distributed in proportion to the share owners. (You can use all the real-world accountancy tricks for making large purchases at the end of the financial year to minimise the profit!!!)

4) If a player wishes to take the company private again, they must pay current value + 10% to all shareholders. This is an all-or-none option; all shareholders get treated equally, so you as owner cannot buy back in bits and pieces - its all or nothing. You offer in 5% chunks, but can only buy back *all* offered shares.

5) If a shareholder wants to sell their stake, they gain the market value. The shares go back into the "on offer" pot of shares in the company.

User Interface: pretty much the same as current; for other companies, the buttons would be Buy 5% Shares, Sell 5% shares. For your own company, you have two buttons; Offer 5% Shares, Buy Back All Shares.

OK - any thoughts, ideas, comments, etc.???
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I like it a lot. I take it that if there are only two players, the most public that a company can be is 50% owner, 30% single investor and 20% still on sale? Just clarifying that the 30% limit is in place for non-AI companies. This does allow other players to get in on a company.

I'd suggest that the final 5% be called a 4% share, so that the player retains 51% and control.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Brianetta wrote:I like it a lot. I take it that if there are only two players, the most public that a company can be is 50% owner, 30% single investor and 20% still on sale? Just clarifying that the 30% limit is in place for non-AI companies. This does allow other players to get in on a company.

I'd suggest that the final 5% be called a 4% share, so that the player retains 51% and control.
No need. They are always described as 50% + 1, so it can just be assumed that control is kept.

Yes, 30% is limit of ownership for single investor. However, there may only be 10% available on offer - that is up to the owner player. AI players always have 50% on offer.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”