OpenTTD mod: far into the future...

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Does this mod sound like something you'd play?

Poll ended at 07 Aug 2006 17:57

Yes, start developing it!
68%
Hmm, need more info.
11%
BOORRRINGG! Count me out...
21%

Total votes: 82

Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I can't see electricity being superceded by something "better" in 1,000 years. I don't hold to using Star Trek as a reasonable source of future speculation (it's called science fiction, but while there's plenty of the latter there's only technobabblewhere the former should be).

Even SirXavious resorted to this. I still have no idea what he means by any of the following terms, and they only were from his last post on the topic:
PlasmaSteel, Aqueflex, cybernauts, Kineto-nuclear power, planet carbonization.

I wouldn't mind the fact that they're just fictitious inventions, except he never said what they actually do. Is cybernaut a profession? Is it one who sails on, or by means of, a computer? Perhaps it is just somebody who surfs the web? I dunno. I can't get enthused with words like these.

If it's going to be Pluto, make it Pluto. See what astronomers believe the environment is like, and extrapolate from there. If it's just any arbitrary sci-fi (in the popular sense) setting, then let's call it Planet Ergud or something, without pretending it's an attempt to be realistic.

That will put it in the same genre as Toyland, for me, but it might be what people actually want.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

just to remind you guys that ive been away since i made that cer grf and there has been no progress!!!
you have chatted on and on and on about ELECTRICITY FOR OVER ! MONTH! cmon
stop getting so of topic....
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Tidus97 wrote:just to remind you guys that ive been away since i made that cer grf and there has been no progress!!!
you have chatted on and on and on about ELECTRICITY FOR OVER ! MONTH! cmon
stop getting so of topic....
This from the guy whos sig reads:
Tidus97 (in his sig) wrote:Why do today what you can leave for tomorow?
I dunno... (-:
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

hehe good one
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

Brianetta wrote:If it's going to be Pluto, make it Pluto.
it's in debate wether pluto is even a planet at all, they've found a larger rock further out.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
mexicoshanty
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mexicoshanty »

bobingabout wrote:
Brianetta wrote:If it's going to be Pluto, make it Pluto.
it's in debate wether pluto is even a planet at all, they've found a larger rock further out.
There are actually only 8 planets now and pluto isn't included, so the debate has ended and pluto lost. It's a dwarf planet now. But yeah it was because they found larger rocks out there.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

BZZZZT! Wrong.
http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0601/iau0601_Q_A.html wrote:Q: Based on this new definition, how many planets are there in our Solar System?

A: There are currently 12.

Q: What are the 12 planets?

A: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon and 2003 UB
313 (provisional name).
Thank you for playing.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
mexicoshanty
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mexicoshanty »

DaleStan wrote:BZZZZT! Wrong.
http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0601/iau0601_Q_A.html wrote:Q: Based on this new definition, how many planets are there in our Solar System?

A: There are currently 12.

Q: What are the 12 planets?

A: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto, Charon and 2003 UB
313 (provisional name).
Thank you for playing.
:roll: Tisk tisk tisk, that was BEFORE it was changed (about a month ago).

There are officially only 8 planets now. Have a read of the following:

http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... tatus.html
http://www.newscientistspace.com/articl ... drops.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_system

:P
mexicoshanty
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mexicoshanty »

Looking at that mirror http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.o ... 1_Q_A.html of IAU i discovered that it's out of date. That FAQ was written before 24th of August.
Q: In summary how will the Solar System look if the Resolution is passed?

A: If the Resolution is successfully passed, there will be 12 currently known planets in our Solar System:

Table 1: Overview of the planets in the Solar System as per 24 August 2006 if “Resolution 5 for GA-XXVI” is passed.
Check out this.
http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0602/index.html wrote: The Final IAU Resolution on the definition of "planet" ready for voting
24. August 2006, Prague

RESOLUTION 5A
The IAU therefore resolves that planets and other bodies in our Solar System, except satellites,be defined into three distinct categories in the following way:

(1) A "planet"1 is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and (c) has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit.

(2) A "dwarf planet" is a celestial body that (a) is in orbit around the Sun, (b) has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape2, (c) has not cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit, and (d) is not a satellite.

(3) All other objects3, except satellites, orbiting the Sun shall be referred to collectively as "Small Solar System Bodies".

1 The eight planets are: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.
Then on.
http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.org/iau0603/index.html wrote: Resolution 5A: "Definition of Planet" was not counted but was passed with a great majority.
EDIT: Sorry for hi-jacking the thread i'll shutup now.
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

Charon is 1 of Pluto's natural satalites(moons), for a moon to be considered a planet is possably why they re-considered and removed pluto from the list.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Pluto and Charon are both dwarf planets, last I heard. (Their barycenter is not below the surface of either body, so neither is a satellite of the other.)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

then why is charon not listed here, while pluto is?
http://www.iau2006.org/mirror/www.iau.o ... index.html
comes under the "is not a satalite" exception against dwarf planets, in RESOLUTION 5A 2d
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

68% of those voted want this to get started.

our progress : 0.0%
new knowladge about energy and planets (for us that didnt know alread) : 100%
:P
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

DaleStan is right, neither is a satellite of the other.
Pluto and Charon are double planets
accipiter2000
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by accipiter2000 »

sounds interesting.
but i would like something else could be fix first. such as resources output , factory productivity, capacity and speed of plane, ship, bridge, tunnel etc.
just want to make it more realistic
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

i think my request to get this mod to get started was ignored...again...3 tiems
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Get a grip: 56 people have said "Get this started". Downloads of 0.4.8 are measured in THOUSANDS. Almost certainly your respondees are < 1% of the OTTD world.

And last I checked, OTTD is a do-it-yourself project... if you want it so bad, learn to code, learn to create artwork, and do-it-yourself for everyone.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Tidus97
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Tidus97 »

graphics arent hard.
i cant code.

But this isnt why i dont do it. its because i dont want to do it my self i rather work with others because this might take a bit of time doing it myself :?
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

Well make an early version just useing all new grafics and leave the other features for releash 2 or something.
tbell
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tbell »

Hell, im up for it. Sounds like a bloody good idea.

I can code a bit, and i am reasonable at doing graphics, if anyone is up for doing something about this, let me know, and lets start either a topic, or a mail conversation where we can plan what we need to do, and who does it.

No use in haing 5 people run aroud with blinds on, and no one in control.

Concerning the physics and so forth, why dont we put that aside for the moment, and concentrate on something that is easy to get started on, lets not underestimate momentum. Once we get started, it should be easy enough to continue over into the other areas of this, that are required.

Anyway, we need a clear describtion of what we are looking at here. And we might as well, get a wiki or such started, so we can put up a decent describtion of work areas, progress, cries for help and so on.

Anyone up for it?

Oh yeah, first post. Yay =)

and first edit

While SirXavius came up with a rather nice idea for a mod. In my oppinion, the topic got stuck on some of the more, well maybe not trivial items in the mod, but atleast things that arent that important. The discussion on what kind of power is used, well that is rather irrelevant i would think - as long as the industri that is supose to look like a 'power station' of some sort look sufficiently "wierd" futuristic, then what kind of power it is, can be figurd out later. While I realise that it does have an effect on how the 'trains' and other vehicles would move, then in reality, this is a simply design decision. The tracks can look like a giant road of foilpaper, and one can just say that the vehicles move via magnets, or whatever.

Im my oppinion, what would be primarly relevant, would be to figure out what the game is supose to contain, regarding industries, and how towns are supose to work, or settlements or whatever it decided to name them. Then there are the designs of the various things and vehicles. What this needs is a project manager, and someone to sign up to be willing to work with it. While I read a few are more than willing to help, then I find a forum to be highly unstructured when it comes to things like this, so anyone that are up for helping me.

I have created a wiki at the following URL http://ottd-future-mod.wikispaces.com/ where I will be compiling some of the information added here in the thread about this, please do help, its open for edit by everyone.

Return to “General OpenTTD”