Station configuration

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Station configuration

Post by C-Funky »

i think i've sort out a good configuration for a station that can hendle a very big amout of trains very efficiently.

A and B group are combo pre-signals except the first one in each track, there are 5 squeres between them and the enter of the station, this is to make sure that when one enter line is full trains will head the second way.

now in order to make sure trains go to each part of the station equally i added E and F as exit pre-signals - all signals between A,B and E,F are combo so when ever EG or FG sections are full trains will head the other way, i tried it in game i can put the same here if needed, it works efficiently well.
Attachments
station config.png
station config.png (713.05 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
:P
jezza5-1-0
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jezza5-1-0 »

Nice layout good choice for making a split track at the entrance. nice work mate
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

wee tnx A LOT :)
ConductorBob
Director
Director

Post by ConductorBob »

Id expect more trains to go left then right...
Ihmemies
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ihmemies »

Please, don't use so tight corners :D Train slow down in tight corners (look at train's speed), and it slows the station down too. So...
sopio
Engineer
Engineer

Post by sopio »

How about my station design.
This is a transfer station,
3 track transpot goods here
7 track x 2 for 50 trains shift the good out.
To make the transfer business make monry, 1 train in one track to make the station almost empty.

That is very high effective transfer station.
Attachments
Massive Transport, 30th Apr 2090.png
Massive Transport, 30th Apr 2090.png (79.82 KiB) Viewed 857 times
Massive Transport, 28th Apr 2090.png
Massive Transport, 28th Apr 2090.png (88.99 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Play TT,TTD for more than 10 years. Now is OTTD
The best PC game I played.
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

Id expect more trains to go left then right...
well it doesn't metter, they'll go left as long as the left side of the station is empty, once it's full the pre-signals will turn red and trains will go right..

and about the tight corners, i just wanted to get the full picture of the station into one screen shot, so i made it compact... the importent part is the pre-signals array, not the tracks layout.
sultana
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by sultana »

Having the exit pre-signals at E and F kind of removes the point of having the waiting block for trains leaving the stations and entering the main line.

Explained in screenie.
Attachments
Trains leaving the bottom most track station cause signals 'yellow' to go red, which causes signals 'red' to turn red and stops the train at 'blue' from entering.
Trains leaving the bottom most track station cause signals 'yellow' to go red, which causes signals 'red' to turn red and stops the train at 'blue' from entering.
signals.PNG (52.1 KiB) Viewed 890 times
Things to do:
1) Bend
2) Cheese It
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

no it doesn't cos once the waiting block is full cos the station is servicing a lot of trains there is no point that trains will come to that side of the station, they rather go to the second enter.

thats excatly why i have the pre-exit signals there, so when all the exit block in one side is full all the pre signals up to point A or B will be red forcing trains into the other section of the station...

that's that problem i was trying to solve cos i have a full exit block and train still came to that part causing a terrible jam.
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

Both stations in the screenshot handle exactly the same number of trains, and are, for gameplay purposes, exactly the same design. Effectively all you're doing is making the station 'platform' twice as long....

If you have a problem with most of your trains using one side of the station, you need to set up your entrances to split the traffic, not your exits. If you have a problem with jams with trains trying to merge back to the main line, you need to fix that to stop trains backing up.
Attachments
Gradhattan Transport, 7th Jun 2040.png
(74.83 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

no, cos is the second design you've shown there are less trains inside the station at once, it takes a while for the exit block to get full and half of the station itself is filled with trains already, so you got less stress outside of the station, in my game case there was a jam at the entrance to the station so i needed the station to accept as many trains as it could simultaniously...

in the case you've shown the station without the exit block leaves a lot of trains waiting outside the station and that can cause jam if it lines up too the way to the main line...
proudmoore
Director
Director

Post by proudmoore »

Adding a waiting line merely means that you can have more trains within the station area - but not at the platforms. If you have less trains than those who will be waiting, then this works - but in the end, it merely delays the merging. It doesn't actually speed up the merging - and making this efficient is very difficult.

However, if you want a very good example of merging at it's best, have a look at the southern major rail station in the OTTD Coop game "The Circus". It's a very long merging process - but ye god's it's efficient. As far as i can see, the basic principle relies on always having at least 2 ways to go - so if one is blocked, trains can go the other way.Unfortunately, this becomes difficult/impossible with only 1*1 mainlines. 2*2 or more makes this much easier.
For Knowledge, Civilisation, and Chocolate Waffles!
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

no, cos is the second design you've shown there are less trains inside the station at once... in the case you've shown the station without the exit block leaves a lot of trains waiting outside the station and that can cause jam if it lines up too the way to the main line...
Both stations will handle exactly the same number of trains; infact, the one with the extra exit block will handle less IMO, because it will take trains longer to clear.

In the screenshot, the only manually stopped trains are the 2 at the very front to create the jam. Both stations can fit exactly the same number of trains in the same space (i accidently made the exit merge on the bottom one 1 tile longer, which allowed space for one extra train, but thats all).
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

sc you don't get it...

the line between the main line and the station with what you show will get all jamed up pretty quick cos trains can only enter the station once other trains leave, if you have the same amount of trains with your desing the jam will go all the way down to the main line, in my stations trains who finished unloading will go the exit block allowing more trains to come in thus removing the traffic from the main line entrance...

and i added the exit presignal after the station only cos i devided my station into two parts, so when one is full trains will head the other way, maybe for a 4 squeres station the exit block changes nothing but for my 10 blocks that devided into two sections it makes all the diference, the station serve more than 70 trains...
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

in my stations trains who finished unloading will go the exit block allowing more trains to come in thus removing the traffic from the main line entrance...
No, they wont. By placing exit signals before the exit block, any trains in that exit block will stop more trains from entering the station.

Take another look. The red side is how you have it set up in your station. Note the exit signals, and how all the entrance signals are red, despite the fact all the platforms are free. The blue side is how you need to set it up. The exit blocks are all full, but more trains can enter the platforms.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (88.89 KiB) Viewed 4082 times
C-Funky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by C-Funky »

ok you're right, this should be perfect then i guess, station with 9 spaces, and 3 devided places...
Attachments
station.png
station.png (910.05 KiB) Viewed 696 times
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

you still want the exit lengths...
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Yuck, three-pronged junctions. You won't see many of those in real life, and those that you do see will be very low speed.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

No, thats even worse. You've linked the entrance and exit blocks now, so that any train exiting the station causes the entrance to turn red.

Go back to your design in the first post. Change the exit signals in sections E and F to normal signals (C and D should be exit, not combo signals too, but i think that will work anyway). Now you'll have the setup you're trying to achieve.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (74.71 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
anboni
Engineer
Engineer

Post by anboni »

proudmoore wrote:have a look at the southern major rail station in the OTTD Coop game "The Circus". It's a very long merging process - but ye god's it's efficient.
proudmoore, do you happen to know of a download location for this savegame? I've checked the coop wiki and these forums, but all I can find is two posts by yourself mentioning it :)

Return to “General OpenTTD”