OpenTTD cuts my Internet

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Aerovisual
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD cuts my Internet

Post by Aerovisual »

Hi There;

I am experiencing a problem with OpenTTD, sometimes, i dont know after what happens or when, it cuts off my Internet connection. It couldn't find any server, or connect them. Furthermore it also cuts my Internet connection and i couldn't surf or do smt else on the Internet. Finally i have to restart my cable modem and this fixes the situation for a while.
Some days ago the same thing happened one of my friends. He was on an ADSL line.

We both connecting from Turkey.

Thanks in advance....
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

this sounds really odd. Nothing in OpenTTD should be able to cut out anything else. The only thing that it should be able to do is to take some bandwidth, but with cable and ADSL, it should not be a major issue

It would be nice if you told a bit more, like if it ever happens even if you do not play and what OS you are using and so on.
Aerovisual
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Aerovisual »

Thank you for your reply Bjarni;

Im on a WinXP and connected to the Internet via cable modem which is 256kbps. I dont have any problems with game speed etc.. (Unless theres a lag from the server-side)
The problem i told happens usually on the 'Find Server' screen. When I click on the Find Server button, it freezes for a while and cant find anything. Further, after this operation, i cant go into the Internet neither...

It seems theres smt wrong with OpenTTD or a program or operation which has a connection with OpenTTD.
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

Check your ports' configuration in the router.
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Aerovisual wrote:Further, after this operation, i cant go into the Internet neither...

It seems theres smt wrong with OpenTTD or a program or operation which has a connection with OpenTTD.
this sound really strange. Getting the server list is done by a normal UDP transfer, so it should not be more dangerous to your net connection than say watching a web page. One normal app should not be able to harm other apps.

I don't know why, but it sounds like your router disconnects if you try to use UDP or something. Also since it's windows and both of you got the same problem and nobody else got it, then it would be adviceable to check for viruses. Not that it's typical virus behaviour, but you never know and I'm out of ideas. Specially since it happens on two different computers with different connection types. Try to locate similar stuff you both have to track whatever is causing this, like software firewalls or stuff like that

good luck finding whatever is causing this
SpComb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SpComb »

/me is off to go create a new OpenTTD server called "startkeylogger"
Aerovisual
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Aerovisual »

Ok thanx for the replies
dogfighter2111
Engineer
Engineer

Post by dogfighter2111 »

Heya,

Right, i have been reading your problem and the problem may be your location.

Now, your ISP may not be up to the standards of most people that you meet on the internet etc. because i know in Turkey the communications for all services are not as good as other countries. I find it very odd that this is the case, but i have found that many people in Egypt, Israel and Turkey often have problems with their internet connections.

Now to your problem, it could be a matter of a few things. I will mention them below:-

1) Your connection may be 'bouncing' about a lot, which may cause instability on your connection therefore causing applications using it to freeze.

2) Again, if your connection is 'bouncing' about then the software used on your system to control your modem etc. may stop responding which will cause it to terminate and therefore you lose your connection.

3) And, one of the simplest explinations could be that you are not running the correct software (Drivers) for your Modem or they are outdated and require updating.

Thanks
Mike

EDIT:

I have a 4th to add. If you have a firewall installed, then ensure it ALLOWS OpenTTD to use the internet connection. I can instruct you how to do this if you are unsure.
klogg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by klogg »

I would also point at the router/firewall configuration.
I'm using sipgat (IP-phone-thingi) and that requires me
to open some ports in my router's firewall.
If they are not open, sipgate manages to kill the connection,
the router, everything and restarts it.
Better than a virus, isn't it? :x

klogg

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”