Four-ways (fast, compact or just plain good lookin')

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

tenpoints2k5
Engineer
Engineer

Four-ways (fast, compact or just plain good lookin')

Post by tenpoints2k5 »

Hey all, I decided to start this thread because I'm disgruntled at the lack of a collection of decent four-way junctions out there on the net. The junctions on the wiki are OK, but there are some that could be a lot better. I'm sure most of you think you've got four ways pretty much covered, but If we all show our best example of a junction thats fast or compact or pretty (or all three) then it will surely provide a resource for everyone, from newbies learning the basics to experienced players who need a reminder or are used to plotting the same old inefficient junction from way back.

So post some four way junctions up, based on the three criteria, with a bit of explanation on why thy're good.
If you got them from another source then do tell.

I'll start the ball rolling with a design I invented a couple of days ago. I called it the "Spin Junction" because the shape it creates resembles that of one of a saw blade (with 4 teeth :P ). I made three versions of it, a combo version, a tunnel only version and a compact version.

The main feature of the design is the four tunnels in the middle, rotated around the axis. This gives equal preference to both directions and ensures that trains can pass straight through the junction in all directions without interference. Another advantage (of the larger junctions) is that the tunnels are only three tiles long, decreasing the gap without a signal (so there is less chance of following trains having to stop).

In the combo junction, the straight routes go through tunnels, and therefore have no speed limit, but trains turning right have to cross the girder bridge, which could be bad if running maglevs. Alternatively the space could be windened to allow for a tubular bridge, at the cost of space.

The tunnel version is slightly larger, but has the advantage of trains being able to go faster on the right hand turns, lowering the risk of slowing the main line. The shallower turn after the centre tunnel increases the signal gap though, which may negate the bonus gained from the extra tunnels.

The compact version is IMHO one of the best possible space to efficiency junctions. The cloverleaf in comparison is 10*10, whereas this is 12*12 and way more efficient. It uses the same principles as the larger junction, but the right hand turn is made over the top of the central tunnel, saving several extra tiles. The turn also merges onto the left hand turn from the opposite direction, another space saver. I have tested this junction with 30 trains going between 4 stations, and the only jammage was when the stations got backed up to the junction. I also tested the combo junction, and the compact is only slightly slower for a given amount of trains.

Main advantages of Spin Junction:
-Direct line for trains (Trains turn left to go left, right to go right).
-Minimal sharp corners (trains can maintain a high speed).
-Equal preference to all lines.
-Saves on signal gap, allows heavier line usage.
-Very efficient given the amount of space used.

Main Disadvantages:
Lots of slope climbing for some paths.
Trains going straight can be disrupted by trains turning right (For longer trains).
Requires potentially expensive terrain modification.
Complex to remember.

Also it has to be mirrored for people who run their trains on the right, I haven't tested it for right hand though, so it might actually work better, who knows?

I look forward to seeing some impressive junctions.

Tenpoints
Attachments
The compact version.
The compact version.
Spin Compact.PNG (82.69 KiB) Viewed 21511 times
The larger yet faster tunnel version.
The larger yet faster tunnel version.
Spin Tunnel.PNG (143.69 KiB) Viewed 21509 times
The combo version.
The combo version.
Spin Combo.PNG (186.88 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I only see three junctions.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
tenpoints2k5
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tenpoints2k5 »

They are three versions of a FOUR WAY junction.

Four Way Junctions are junctions with 4 lines of double track converging, with links so that trains may diverge from their original line onto the other three (or possibly head back on the original line).

Eg. A cloverleaf junction is a four way junction.
XxOZxX
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Sorry, I read too fast. I thought you said "four junctions", not "four-way junctions".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

I've never even seen a real-world cloverleaf railway junction, let alone anything more complex. I tend to go for the ones that remind me of railways I've seen.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
tenpoints2k5
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tenpoints2k5 »

Well the emphasis is on junctions that work in the game not necessarily in real life, so if you have any that you think are particularly good, please post them here for all to see.
XxOZxX
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Going by that criterion, I have no junctions that you'd like. (:
Frostregen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Frostregen »

This is my favorite type,
because there are no sharp curves.
(every train can go at full speed everywhere)

May be build smaller or larger. Depends on your maximum train length.
(The smallest "curve track" should hold your largest train)
Attachments
Frost Transport, 9. Apr 2005.png
Frost Transport, 9. Apr 2005.png (97.15 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
PouncingAnt
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PouncingAnt »

it's hell if you want to get anything to go under that, hehe ;) not that there would be much reason to
NB: the below challenges are still open for submission, so feel free to perform necromancy on them!
Try the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge
Or even better, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 2
Or better still, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 3
Or, the PouncingAnt National Monopoly Challenge 4

Or try my scenario instead!

-(A lazy) OpenTTD Japanese Translator-
-(A lazy) PNGcodec user-
"You get what you pay for, so pay attention!"

Patches:
Company Station Stats
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

This is my favorite type,
because there are no sharp curves.
Main problem I can see with that junction is that 3 directions merge right before a tunnel (where the middle train is in the SS).
Going by that criterion, I have no junctions that you'd like.
That being 'junctions that work in game'? :)
Ones that are realistic and work ingame are fine, just dont exclude unrealistic ones is all.
tenpoints2k5
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tenpoints2k5 »

The purpose of this thread is to show off the junctions in your OTTD games that work well, that is, do not cause deadlocks or major jammage. If they look pretty at the same time that is an added bonus.
XxOZxX
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

sc79 wrote:Ones that are realistic and work ingame are fine, just dont exclude unrealistic ones is all.
I tend to exclude any junction that's larger than the nearest city. My sense of scale simply forbids it!
Tango
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tango »

Heres is my compact 4 way. It was originally designed for small trains but works fine with larger, faster trains. Ill be making it 4 lanes soon.
Attachments
Dawber Trains, 25th Oct 1994.png
Junction
(361.25 KiB) Downloaded 3213 times
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

wacky...
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Sian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sian »

nothing personnal Tango but that junction aren't good

1. sharp corners
2. merge before spilt
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

There is no merge before split. In fact, aside from the sharp corners, I don't remember seeing a design this elegant.
Tango
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Tango »

I could improve it A LOT by using presignals etc but I didnt know how to use them when I created it.

The only aspect im not happy with is when a track turns right, it crosses a track that turns left, but this is easily avoidable by making the junction slightly bigger, but isnt as visually appealing.

The 4 lane version is also A LOT harder to create, but at the moment it looks amazing, stay tuned... :D
tempus_46_2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tempus_46_2 »

Tango, that looks awesome.

Well done.
swing on the spiral
AnUbiS-X
Engineer
Engineer

Post by AnUbiS-X »

Here's my first 4-way junction... Its simple.. nothing too fancy..
Attachments
4-Way Junction.. I think :)
4-Way Junction.. I think :)
Simple 4 Way junction.png (250 KiB) Viewed 20624 times

The company of the future!
Sian
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sian »

... how do you turn left in that one?

Return to “General OpenTTD”