[REL] Scenario: Offshore Oil

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

[REL] Scenario: Offshore Oil

Post by andysine »

Start Date: 1965
Objective: Transport 500,000 units of goods
Difficulty: Medium
Competitors: None
Mods needed: None

Background: A wealth of oil has just been tapped offshore and an oil refinery has been constructed in this fictional Canadian setting. You must transport the oil to the refinery and the resulting goods to the cities.

The Twist: To transport the goods to the cities you must cross or more likely, go round a large mountain range. The engineering for this is expensive, and the ships carrying the oil are unlikely to be very profitable. Building other routes to subsidise construction costs and to promote town growth is therefore essential.

Notes: The updated US Set is perfectly suited to this scenario. I designed this scenario with the use of the big Canadian locomotives in mind. I disabled trams, so you'll have to find some otherway of expanding cities.
Attachments
the docks area in my game
the docks area in my game
Screenshot10.gif (419.73 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
Offshore Oil Scenario.zip
the scenario file
(270.48 KiB) Downloaded 1078 times
The Map. The oil rigs can be seen in the sea on the right. The refinery is on the waterfront . To the north is a power station. The coal mines are in the north east area of the map.
The Map. The oil rigs can be seen in the sea on the right. The refinery is on the waterfront . To the north is a power station. The coal mines are in the north east area of the map.
Screenshot11.gif (184.11 KiB) Viewed 1235 times
Last edited by andysine on 15 Apr 2006 21:10, edited 1 time in total.
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

Looks good. I plan on trying it out shortly (I still need to finish my project, the Island of Sodor), but I will download it.

P.S. Once you've placed your trains for scenery, you no longer need to have signals.
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andysine »

train-a-mania wrote:P.S. Once you've placed your trains for scenery, you no longer need to have signals.
Oh yeah - didn't think of that.

Just a note. When I was trying this scenario out, it took me ages to get the towns to grow as they were so small (largest town size was 3 i think). I've since expanded the towns for the released version - so I hope it won't take people until 1989 to deliver some goods!
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

oooh... looks intresting. i think i have a date with lomo tonight....

~puts down the C&C controler~
~downloads this map~
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

ok, I finnished this. took 40 years. (sort of read on.) I started moving the oil by tanker to the ports then made a RDC/passenger line between the 2 biggest towns in the valley. I then wrapped a train line along the coast to the river and along the river to the highway.. followed the highway to the biggest town in the back corner for max profit. watched that for a bit..

I saw i was only getting 70% of the goods made. so i made a second station that took the good the the main goods depot... that was sort of a failure do to how many goods sprung up and the small amount i could move. i thin looked at my $$ and saw i had billions... so i delted the second station and and made a new second station right through the mountain straight to town... (cheating but i was bored) by now it i was only 18% done and the clock was counting. so i had 2 main lines, one around the mountain and one through it (that is so not me to tunnel)

I was finally way ahead of the oil so i decided to start collecting from rigs 3 and 4... bad idea. for some reason i lost prodcuction... i had over 40 ships working 4 rigs, i was collectiong 1250 tons of oil a year, after 3 & 4 opened i was only getting 750 tons.... no idea why, there was no jam up of ships... at that point i was frustrated and clicked super fast forward and watched a movie... just as i was done with the movie the "oooooh" from finnishing the scenerio hit... there was way to much money and nothing to spend it on... i almost started hauling coal for sh**s and grins....

anyways... very pretty map, i can see you have been picking ideas from other discusssions about maps and put the to use... i like the highway. it would have been cool of you put electric lines from the power plans.. the mountains were well done.. the main valley was .. ehh flat and un-scenic
idk. it was deffinatly a chalenge at first, but for some reason my oil fizzled out and ruined the scenario for me... also i had a wierd glitch. my oil refinery started producing passengers and mail... maybe they are related.

maybe i'll post my sceenshots once my internet is back up...

is this your first map? if so great job.. i would definatly change a few things(mostly just sceanery details, little things like power towers and a lighthouse)... but that is just me... i dunno i just got bored once my oil production died. i could not bring it back to life even with multi port tricks and stuff. ...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andysine »

Cheers for the feedback Plastikman, this is my first published map so it was nice to have such a postitive response.

It is my first map using the map generator program, though I have previously created loads using the standard scenario editor.
I have just released a beta version of a new map "Imports and Exports" which follows a similar theme, but should have a longer lifespan so it doesn't get so boring so quickly - please see the other thread for details.

Thanks for the feedback.
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

what train pack is on this map as i only have the br sets?
andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andysine »

It uses the standard locomotion pack, but you can add the BR Set or US Set in the scenario editor if you want.
jonnie47
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jonnie47 »

thats what i did thanks for the map its great
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

I would recomend using my supertanker avalible from here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=12321
Train-a-Mania
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Train-a-Mania »

Great scenario.

I didn't know that tunneling was cheating, but it's still a challenge.

I love the highway idea. However, I wish there could be more reasons to use it (industries, towns, etc).

Great map.
Nick - Creator of the virtual railroading review series:

andysine
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andysine »

I'm glad people liked the map.

So I thought I'd just plug my other map 'Imports and Exports.'
It follows a similar theme, but I think you'll agree there is more to do on it. There are more options available when choosing what to transport and a less rigid way to complete the task, so it is a bit less one-dimensional (hopefully).

Imports and Exports - http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=24590
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

train-a-mania wrote:Great scenario.

I didn't know that tunneling was cheating, but it's still a challenge.

I love the highway idea. However, I wish there could be more reasons to use it (industries, towns, etc).

Great map.
lol. i just a bunch of the US semi trucks on the highway and let them drive about with no orders just for scenery.
adn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adn »

12 years 8 months. Took me a while to finish. Dame real life.
The key is too replace tankers by trains asap. I failed to do so on the remote platforms and lost a solid year of high throughput.
12 platforms was not enough to deal with the goods output. A better design would have helped from that perspective. I didn't realize the factory would eventually spit 8k crates a month.
You will notice a coal loop on the right side which is a very good cash cow for the early years.
Thanks for the scenario. Have fun.

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”