Six New Airports - Released

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Do you want these airports?

All 3 + other directions
83%
Type 3b: no, Type 4b: yes, Helistation: yes
7%
Type 3b: yes, Type 4b: no, Helistation: yes
5%
Type 3b: no, Type 4b: no, Helistation: yes
6%

Total votes: 127

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

The structure of the airports .h files changed a bit in tonights trunk... so here is a new update with it fixed.

And as a little surprise - Celestar asked if the Intercontinental could be expanded to have longer runways... so it is now a 9x11 airport, with length 8 runways. Since I had some more space, I added a few extra bits of airport scenery.

Let me know if I broke anything. Most of the changes were just to position data, and not to the state machine at all. That required lots of adding 16 to some vars, 32 to others. Not too hard, so nothing should be any more broken than before ;)
Attachments
Intercontinental now 9x11
Intercontinental now 9x11
Runningbury Transport, 21st Jul 2019.png (87.08 KiB) Viewed 9597 times
6new_airports_v2_r4655.patch
6 New Airports at r4655. Intercontinental now 9x11
(83.7 KiB) Downloaded 640 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
christooss
Engineer
Engineer

Post by christooss »

Another stupid question from me :)

Please tell me what is 4b

and clearify to me. 3b is a district airport. Right?
ElectricA4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ElectricA4 »

Just a suggestion, perhaps helistations could be shrunk from 2x4 to 2x3?
Attachments
Helistation
Helistation
heli2.png (4.53 KiB) Viewed 9286 times
comrade-max
Engineer
Engineer

Post by comrade-max »

id rather see them have the hanger removed and replaced by a tower 2 be honest, ATM they make helidepots obscelete, they should be likee super-iner-city airports, for when local authority is set to hostile
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Here is the latest version with the District airports removed. This is a trunk-candidate, so has had a whole host of extra cleanups applied.
Attachments
newairports5.patch
(78.48 KiB) Downloaded 434 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Which of the new airports are 'small' ones (where large planes crash often)? Or are they all 'large'?
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

White Rabbit wrote:Which of the new airports are 'small' ones (where large planes crash often)? Or are they all 'large'?
The Commuter airport is 'small', all the others are 'large'.
proudmoore
Director
Director

Post by proudmoore »

Pardon me if i'm being rather stupid, but how do you make this work? Does it require a certain nightly? I tryed applying this to r5078. I put the file (arports_145.grf) into data, and left it at that. However, nothing shows up on the build airport menu. I looked through the Configure Patches, but i couldn't find a switch for it.

Please tell me! I really want to try using this!
For Knowledge, Civilisation, and Chocolate Waffles!
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

proudmoore wrote:Pardon me if i'm being rather stupid, but how do you make this work? Does it require a certain nightly? I tryed applying this to r5078. I put the file (arports_145.grf) into data, and left it at that. However, nothing shows up on the build airport menu. I looked through the Configure Patches, but i couldn't find a switch for it.

Please tell me! I really want to try using this!
You need to compile the source code with the patch applied. And the file needs to be named "airports.grf". The forum modifies the filename :roll:
Firework Photography
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Its so two files named airports.grf can be uploaded without conflicts.

With airports.grf, the Helipad icon looks very very.. well.. strange. Could that be made more realistic looking? (not all helipads have a H, some have crosses and others just have a white circle)

There are graphics I made over a year ago in this thread, if needed.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Born Acorn wrote:Its so two files named airports.grf can be uploaded without conflicts.

With airports.grf, the Helipad icon looks very very.. well.. strange. Could that be made more realistic looking? (not all helipads have a H, some have crosses and others just have a white circle)

There are graphics I made over a year ago in this thread, if needed.
I agree the animated helipad with flashing lights is pretty, but it is just artistic licence.

To avoid the "you've got the helipad graphic wrong" accusations, I used the info in the Federal Aviation Authority's specification for laying out helipad markings; here. Our helipads are public helipads, thus section 31.b (p29) applies, (images Fig 3.8,3.9 on p40-41). It is a large white H with no surrounding circle or anything.

For transport heliports, the marking is the same (41.b, p51). For hospital heliports, it is a red H on a white cross background. For helipads on airports, the same white H should be used; section 65.d, p81. Appendix 2 gives the dimensions for these helipads.

Of course, helipads in your country may differ - heck, they may be different in the UK. But the FAA info was the easiest to find, and I suspect is an international standard, since different airport markings would be potentially dangerous for visiting pilots.
Firework Photography
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Its not that, its that the H is strange. The perspective is a bit off, and it looks a wee bit lopsided. This is due to a missing pixel on the side closest to the rightmost vertical line of the H. I made it thinner looking and hopefully balanced it a bit more. I also included a smaller version. You don't have to use this or anything, but I'm just rying to help.
(This might sound like nagging, but its only constructive criticism)

Not to mention that it will be out of place with other graphics in the game like the conventional graphics on the heliport, the oil rig and the airports. It may be better to follow consistancy.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Born Acorn wrote:Its not that, its that the H is strange. The perspective is a bit off, and it looks a wee bit lopsided. This is due to a missing pixel on the side closest to the rightmost vertical line of the H. I made it thinner looking and hopefully balanced it a bit more. I also included a smaller version. You don't have to use this or anything, but I'm just rying to help.
(This might sound like nagging, but its only constructive criticism)

Not to mention that it will be out of place with other graphics in the game like the conventional graphics on the heliport, the oil rig and the airports. It may be better to follow consistancy.
Okies - do you want to edit the airports.grf, and update the H for me. I would appreciate it, as graphics is really not my thing. (Heck, I couldnt get perspective right on 3 lines ;) ).

I could have used the default helipad, but wanted to try out a true H. If it doesnt fly, I'll ground it, and take off with the old helipad ;)
Firework Photography
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Here you go. I also made the rightmost side of those hangars one shade lighter to comply with where the sun is in TTD.
Attachments
airports.grf
(8.9 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
gkirilov
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by gkirilov »

Timestamp:
06/23/06 22:05:40
Author:
richk
Feature: Add 4 new airports. 2 for aircraft, 2 for helicopters.
Commuter airport: Small. 5x4. 3 terminals, 2 helipads.
Intercontinental: massive. 9x11. 8 terminals, 2 helipads, 4 runways.
Helidepot: a small heliport with a depot for helis only.
Helistation: a large heliport with 3 helipads and a depot.

:idea: :bow:
OTTDCoop NewGRF Pack|Different sets of GRFs for TTDPatch (some of them work in OTTD) - 1|- 2|GRF sets for OTTD|OTTD nightly
I hooked up my accelerator to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you. Spoilers and bodykits are how much of the wall you take with you. Rollcages and windownets are how much of a mess you leave on the wall.
Grigory1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Grigory1 »

Intercontinental 9x11 at me bug :(
Attachments
airport_bug.PNG
airport_bug.PNG (56.87 KiB) Viewed 8641 times
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Grigory, I think the problem is the NewGRF file that you are using. The intercontinental airport looks fine with the standard graphics.
Attachments
Intercontinental_Airport.png
Intercontinental_Airport.png (81.23 KiB) Viewed 8633 times
Grigory1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Grigory1 »

It is very a pity to me :(
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

Grigory, what GRF file is it that you are using?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Grigory1 wrote:It is very a pity to me :(
Grigory - I reuse existing airport graphics to get the look I want for the major airport rather than create whole new graphics. Your screen does not use the default graphics, and that creates quirks as your .grf pulls in inappropriate graphics.

Its not a bug in New Airports; if you mess with the core graphics, you will get unpredictable results.

Also, the version in trunk uses the SPR_AIRPORT_APRON sprite for existing sprites, so the whole airport (apart from new tiles) has black tarmac when I apply the newairport.grf from born_acorn's site. You must be using a now out-of-date version of the airports.
Last edited by richk67 on 24 Jun 2006 23:44, edited 1 time in total.
Firework Photography

Return to “OpenTTD Development”