3d vehicles & why

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

3d vehicles & why

Post by charlieg »

As openttd moves on to hi-res graphics, there becomes more impetus to at least consider the adoption of using 3d graphics to represent the key objects in the game.

With the all-round feel of the graphics improving, the obvious flaws in sprite-based vehicles becomes more striking. Carriages separating as trains tackle slopes, rounded turns on rails with trains jumping from one direction to another, etc etc. Use a bit of 3d and this all goes away. Trains slant instead of step, they turn instead of jerk between directions, planes can circle instead of square (well, octagon) around, and the feel of your vehicles moving around your transport empire becomes all that bit more satisfying.

Considerations:
  • System requirements
    "But now I'll need a 3d card!?" Don't you think that having hundreds of sprites stored in memory won't have the same impact on the system requirements for openttd. The differences in requirements between using 100s of hi-res 2d sprites and low-poly 3d objects will be minimal. Hell, it might even be favourable for the 3d objects , especially in terms of memory, taking into account sharing textures.
  • Disk consumption
    With the sprites doubling in size, the amount of disk-space per sprite quadruples (if not more taking into account colordepth). Storing a model with a few small textures will be more efficient whilst offering infinitely more angles than 2d sprites could ever hope to. I would be surprised if a low-poly model train took up much, if any, more space than a hi-res train sprite. Then you'll have sharing of textures which is something sprites can't do.
  • Models
    Trains are modelled in 3d. So the issue of having the 3d models to put in game is moot other than creating LODs.
  • The Future
    It may be, in a few years, desired that 3d adaption of the rest of the game world might add to the openttd experience. This would pave the way for doing that, reducing the otherwise-drastic changes that would need to be made.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Well I for one would rather have ottd to be 2D just because I prefer 2D over 3D in strategy games but that's my personal opinion that the videogame industry has been "prooving wrong" for quite some time now :?
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

I vote against it. Old games don't stand that kind of upgrade very well (Worms springs to my mind).

Anyway, it's been discussed many time before. And it has always been rejected.
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
andy_blah
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andy_blah »

I like it :wink:
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I like it, some developers also like it. The problem is, someone should write the 3D engine.
tempus_46_2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tempus_46_2 »

I think if OpenTTD goes 3D, I'll either stick to old versions or switch to TTDP, I love the feel of the old graphics, if only for nostalgic reasons.
swing on the spiral
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 3d vehicles & why

Post by XeryusTC »

charlieg wrote:
  • System requirements
    "But now I'll need a 3d card!?" Don't you think that having hundreds of sprites stored in memory won't have the same impact on the system requirements for openttd. The differences in requirements between using 100s of hi-res 2d sprites and low-poly 3d objects will be minimal. Hell, it might even be favourable for the 3d objects , especially in terms of memory, taking into account sharing textures.
Have you thought about the textures that come with 3D models, there are mostly more then 8 textures(against 8 sides of sprites) on one model, which also mostly are bigger then the sprites. Or did you think about shaders, some people would like to see realistic water in a 3D engine, or people want shiny engines and more of those things you have to solve with a shader.
charlieg wrote:[*]Disk consumption
With the sprites doubling in size, the amount of disk-space per sprite quadruples (if not more taking into account colordepth). Storing a model with a few small textures will be more efficient whilst offering infinitely more angles than 2d sprites could ever hope to. I would be surprised if a low-poly model train took up much, if any, more space than a hi-res train sprite. Then you'll have sharing of textures which is something sprites can't do.
A 3D model takes space too, a simple 3ds max file, say a simple house with only 4 walls and a roof, is >200kb in size, off course this is uncompressed but if you compress it it would still be >15kb in size, this again larger then 8 sprites if you include textures.
charlieg wrote:[*]The Future
It may be, in a few years, desired that 3d adaption of the rest of the game world might add to the openttd experience. This would pave the way for doing that, reducing the otherwise-drastic changes that would need to be made.[/list]
So if other game devs jump off a bridge, OpenTTD devs have to do it also?

I think that it should be a option to add 3D support for those who want it. I won't really use the 3D engine anyway, I never used it in C&C Generals because I always got lost, so I'll probably won't use it in OpenTTD too.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

The only problem I foresee with 3D support is that hardware support for modern 3D cards in Linux is pathetic. Even a simple OpenGL screensaver runs like a slide show on my Linux machine, and it has a Radeon 9800 Pro. Both ATI and nVidia provide binary drivers, but that's entirely the wrong approach for an open source OS where different distributions use different kernel builds and so on.

Since 3D stuff in Linux is so lacking in performance as long as the hardware manufacturers fail to "get it," I'd rather stick with a 2D sprite based game.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
egladil
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by egladil »

Actually, the nVidia drivers work quite nice as they are only partly precompiled.
jez
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by jez »

My vote: Please God, no.

I love the cute isometric TTD graphics and a 3d engine wouldn't improve things, everything is 3d nowadays and this is a pleasant exception. Go play Locomotion if you want 3d. Its 3d engine is implemented quite well. Well, it's 3d in that the trains turn smoothly and you can view the map from different angles.
=== Jez ===
tempus_46_2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tempus_46_2 »

I didn't think there was a shred of 3D in LoMo? It's the same engine a RollerCoaster Tycoon, and I like it. Apart from the landscaping (which would allow some mad rail designs), I like the sprite based graphics. But putting anything 3D into a game like this would suck.
swing on the spiral
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I fell in love with TTD and all derivatives because of its nostalgic cute 2D feel and sprites. I am not really favourable of going 3D, but I've said it before. What I can see is the 32bpp branch which will give new graphics, but still in 2D. Those will look nice, although I think I will, when implemented, reach back to the good old-old sprites that TTD had.

And you can't say it's ugly. Just look at all the awesome vehicle sets people have been doing :D
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Andrew21
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Andrew21 »

The key that has made Transport Tycoon and it's off shoots so sucessful is the simplicity of it. I mean, look at OpenTTD for example. Because it's written in C++ (I think), many people with programming knowledge are able to write patches and updates for it. I think that's why people have enjoyed it so much is because it's simple yet effective. 3D graphics would complicate things too much I think and reduce the ability of people to make new grf content.

That's my 2 cents anyways

Andrew
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

XeryusTC wrote:
charlieg wrote:
  • System requirements
Have you thought about the textures that come with 3D models, there are mostly more then 8 textures(against 8 sides of sprites) on one model, which also mostly are bigger then the sprites. Or did you think about shaders, some people would like to see realistic water in a 3D engine, or people want shiny engines and more of those things you have to solve with a shader.
Seems you're new to 3D graphics. If you have ever digged up inside quake 2, you would have seen the whole player model is made with one small model file and one texture file. It's called UVWmapping. Google for it, and you will see the model's verticles can be broken so they all fit on the 2D grid.
XeryusTC wrote:
A 3D model takes space too, a simple 3ds max file, say a simple house with only 4 walls and a roof, is >200kb in size, off course this is uncompressed but if you compress it it would still be >15kb in size, this again larger then 8 sprites if you include textures.
And again, why 3ds max file? And why are you calling it "simple"? These are developement files, containing most settings etc. Final output file, like md2 or md3 is very small and handy. Also, google for md3
R2
Engineer
Engineer

Post by R2 »

My opinion: Make a smart zoom, make the map turnable in 90°-steps - but please don't make it 3D, it just wouldn't be TT any more!

I haven't even played Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D because I didn't like the idea (btw: has anyone? Is it ok?) of 3D in a game I liked in 2D...
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying OpenTTD should be 3d - I'm saying that just the vehicles could look a lot nicer if done with low-poly 3d models instead of sprites.

I'm not in favour of making a 3d version of OpenTTD - being isometric is what makes it nice.

Also Linux 3d support is decent enough for the very low requirements for a few low-poly 3d models. Software rendering would be adequate for what I'm talking about.

Also the comparison with games like Worms is absurd. Worms was a pure-2d game. There are 3 dimensions in OpenTTD, just it's represented with 2d graphics. Even if there were only 2 dimenions (no height), still vehicles turn in all directions. In Worms the characters face either forwards or backwards and nothing else. Keep comparisons on-topic if you can?
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Alinator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Alinator »

I played RCT3 because its a wonderful to watch all the lovely details.
BUT: Its not the real RCT. Its more for watching instead for playing.

I fear too, that the TTD feaver, we all know, will be lost with hiRes-graphics. Maybe it works fine and it will be more fun than before. Maybe not.
I dont know the answer, but i would enjoy to try it.
Aka Thargor / Doke

"Give each day the chance, to be the most beautiful in your life." (Mark Twain).

"Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt." (A. Einstein)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

MeusH wrote:
XeryusTC wrote:
charlieg wrote:
  • System requirements
Seems you're new to 3D graphics. If you have ever digged up inside quake 2, you would have seen the whole player model is made with one small model file and one texture file. It's called UVWmapping. Google for it, and you will see the model's verticles can be broken so they all fit on the 2D grid.
I know what UVW mapping is, but it still would require a texture file and a model file.
MeusH wrote:
XeryusTC wrote:
And again, why 3ds max file? And why are you calling it "simple"? These are developement files, containing most settings etc. Final output file, like md2 or md3 is very small and handy. Also, google for md3
It's called simple because it was the basic shape of a house, a cube and a prism on top as roof.
Just for a comparison, I made a sword a few weeks ago. The 3dsm file is 246kb, packed with winrar its just 28kb. An Adobe Illustrator file is 10kb in size. I couldn't find any smaller format, md2 or md3 are not supported by 3dsm and I don't have my old conversion tool anymore (I can't remember the name but it was something with "Scape" IIRC).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

My vote, DO IT. it will look superb
Though to be quite frank ive only voted do it casue i wont need to tweak my system it already supports hig graphics games (its got an nVidia Geforce 4 graphics card)
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

XeryusTC wrote:
MeusH wrote:
XeryusTC wrote: Have you thought about the textures that come with 3D models, there are mostly more then 8 textures(against 8 sides of sprites) on one model, which also mostly are bigger then the sprites.
... one small model file and one texture file ...
I know what UVW mapping is, but it still would require a texture file and a model file.
Good, at least I explained it can be achieved with one texture file :)
XeryusTC wrote:
MeusH wrote:
XeryusTC wrote: A 3D model takes space too, a simple 3ds max file, say a simple house with only 4 walls and a roof, is >200kb in size, off course this is uncompressed but if you compress it it would still be >15kb in size, this again larger then 8 sprites if you include textures.
It's called simple because it was the basic shape of a house, a cube and a prism on top as roof.
Just for a comparison, I made a sword a few weeks ago. The 3dsm file is 246kb, packed with winrar its just 28kb. An Adobe Illustrator file is 10kb in size. I couldn't find any smaller format, md2 or md3 are not supported by 3dsm and I don't have my old conversion tool anymore (I can't remember the name but it was something with "Scape" IIRC).
I've been modelling in 3ds max and gmax, too.
A lightsaber I've made was a 102kB gmax file (same as 3ds max format), but it was also 828B md3 file used in game.

No polygon, surface, tag data was lost, so everything was allright. It was just a bit difficult to make a gmax file from md3 file again, but it was possible.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”