OpenTTD PSP port

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Solo761
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD PSP port

Post by Solo761 »

I don't know if it's been said already, searched for it but haven't found any actual links so here it is, first (as far as I know) OpenTTD port for PSP. Lets hope author won't stop working on it

Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Shame it won't work on a PSP with recent firmware.

Oh well, never mind.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Cool, really cool :)

I do miss a link to the source though. As with all other ports we encourage the versatility of OS's OpenTTD runs on.

And as with all other OS's: if he wants his non-gui changes committed to SVN so he doesn't have to worry about that; we can do it.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Solo761
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solo761 »

Link to the source is there, it requires little digging, but it's there :)

http://www.nixgeneration.com/%7Ejaime/psp/openttd/

It still has some problems, after all this is the first version of this port. Like inabillity to save/load, game starting in portuguese and won't let it be changed (it can be done only by renaming desired language file to brazilian_portuguese.lng), and the game crashed my PSP when I wanted to see the map, but hopefully it will all be fixed.
RMJ
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RMJ »

Could imagen that Openttd could be good on a Nintendo DS. because it has the duel screens and the pen that could work as a mouse pointer :D
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

I have browsed through his changes, a really nice job. Most code can go into SVN, but not all (GUI changes can't go there :p). Some things have to be made a bit more pretty, and only for PSP, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Also, if there is a linux compiler for the PSP target, we can add it to the nightlies. We can make it apply a patch just before compiling, so the GUI changes can go in too.

So if anyone is interested and can help me out, feel free to contact me at IRC or mail.
Turulo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Turulo »

Hi all, im around here :)

Well i talked with Bjarni when i started the port, and he told me that developers team didnt want to support resolutions under 640px as it is very ugly, so i didnt thinked in adding the code to svn as psp is 480x272.

The gui code isnt really portable, and that static Makefile is hard to hack for PSP...

Let me know if you are interested in adding it to svn to see what can be done with some dirty hacks i made. Im currently working with saveload functions.

And yes there is a patched gcc working with linux and psp target. You can dowload the toolchain script to build all the sdk here:
http://www.oopo.net/consoledev/ (look at the bottom)
TrueBrain
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by TrueBrain »

I am interested :p

Also, is there an emulator?
^Cartman^
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ^Cartman^ »

TrueLight wrote:I am interested :p

Also, is there an emulator?
I am not sure if it works with OpenTTD, but you can try the PSP Homebrew Emulator for Windows...
futaris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by futaris »

Does this work with the new eLoader for 2.0+, 2.50, 2.60, etc firmwares?
Pixel du Rezo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pixel du Rezo »

No, it doesn't work with the new eLoader.
I'm using a 2.00 PSP, so I use eLoader 0.9 (not the GTA one) and OpenTTD runs fine.
But the load/save feature doesn(t work on my 2.00 even with the version that should work.

But it's a very good job.
Maybe I'm going to develop a little on the PSP.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I have FW 2.00, and used the instructions to install, but when I try to get it running, I get:

"The game cannot be started. The data is corrupted."

I see the background, OTTD logo, and hear the train passing sound however.
Solo761
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Solo761 »

On fw 2.00 you can't run homebrew directly, you need Fanjita's eLoader from http://www.fanjita.org. But it won't work due to open file limit on PSP, that's why it doesn't work on eLoader for now, it keeps two files open so OpenTTD can't open all of it's files.
Pixel du Rezo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pixel du Rezo »

It works on FW 2.00 (with Fanjita eboot Loader v0.9)
The game runs fine.. the only limitation is the load/save feature that doesn't work.

But is the game is correctly installed (data files from the original TTD in the good directory), there is no problem.

I found a bug that crash the PSP:
When trying to load / save a game (even if it doesn't work on my FW 2.00 PSP), if I go up the directories, until ms0.. And then go up again wil crash.
There should be a limit.

Now that OpenTTD v0.4.5 is out... when will the PSP version be out ?

Another "bug" :
after scrolling (when releasing the O button) the screen, the cursor goes in the direction of the scroll by about 20-30 pixels. And when it is on the edges of the screen, it is impossible to sroll again.

Now that McZonk had release a tutorial on how to use the OSK, it could be great to include it, in order to type text :P

I forgot another bug... on FW 2.00, it's impossible to create a screenshot :cry:

For the forum admins> how about a special section dedicated to OpenTTD ports ?
futaris
Engineer
Engineer

Post by futaris »

Has anyone tested this with eLoader 0.9.5 (Brown Ale) yet ???

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/eloade ... eased.html
^Cartman^
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ^Cartman^ »

futaris wrote:Has anyone tested this with eLoader 0.9.5 (Brown Ale) yet ???

http://pspupdates.qj.net/2006/02/eloade ... eased.html
I can test it on my friends PSP (firmware version 2.01)... check out this thread (PSP3D's forum)!
Benbo
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Wonderful World...

Post by Benbo »

That's well cool. If I had a PSP, I'd be playing it everywhere! EVERYWHERE! FREE! Oh yes. Wonderful
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Turulo wrote:Hi all, im around here :)

Well i talked with Bjarni when i started the port, and he told me that developers team didnt want to support resolutions under 640px as it is very ugly, so i didnt thinked in adding the code to svn as psp is 480x272.
that applies to the graphics only. We should be able to find a solution for that. TrueLight came up with one and other solutions might show up.
Turulo wrote: The gui code isnt really portable, and that static Makefile is hard to hack for PSP...
If PSP got unsolveable problems with the makefile, it will be the first platform to have that. Other platforms had problems but they have been solved. I'm pretty sure it's not much harder to add PSP to the makefile than it have been with some of the other platforms. If you have problems adding stuff for PSP without breaking other platforms, then come to the IRC channel.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

It seems a shame in my opinion it would be better on the DS as the stylis could be used as a mouse.
^Cartman^
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ^Cartman^ »

By the way, the source code can be found here!

Return to “General OpenTTD”