waypoints --- more than 1 track

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

xiaokj
Engineer
Engineer

waypoints --- more than 1 track

Post by xiaokj »

I've seen many people build waypoints with stations (those ttdpatch people) and they rely on having waypoints that span over 2 or more tracks. as of now, waypoints in openttd cannot be linked together, and those systems will fail or go very slow as they will stop at those stations they use as waypoints.

so, i've thought, its time to make multi-track waypoints?
Come on people! Concentrate on merging ttdpatch into openttd!
Please spare a thought for those not on M$!
egladil
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by egladil »

Stations can be used as multitrack waypoints in OpenTTD. Just enable the TTDPatch compatible nonstop setting.
xiaokj
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xiaokj »

but that will be just a very ugly hack isn't it? waypoints shouldn't be confined to 1 track... Or else why make it in the first place?
Come on people! Concentrate on merging ttdpatch into openttd!
Please spare a thought for those not on M$!
Seven Force
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seven Force »

Not really. It will still work, it just depends on if you prefer the station graphics to the waypoint graphics.

If you think it's a viable idea (just thinking about it - linked waypoints would look pretty neat), see what the devs think in the IRC channel.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
neonx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by neonx »

Isn't waypoints kind of useless with "new global pathfinding" enabled? I never use waypoints, still my trains find their way.

edit:
lol.. I just realised how old my account is.. signed up 2.5 years ago and this is my first post...
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

neonx wrote:Isn't waypoints kind of useless with "new global pathfinding" enabled?
Yes, but: NPF requires an enormous amount of CPU power. Especially when you have a couple hundred trains.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Archonix
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Archonix »

Using waypoints with NPF is a must if you want to keep the game running smoothly. It breaks the journy up in to neat chunks rather than forcing the train to calculate its entire path all in one go.
Brignell’s law of consensus: At times of high scientific controversy, the consensus is always wrong.
sc79
Director
Director

Post by sc79 »

I use them often to force certain trains onto certain tracks, to avoid the "every track needs to connect to every other one" problem on junctions, and also to control density in some spots. Also, if your trains are travelling long distances on big maps without any waypoints, it can be almost impossible to tell what path they're taking, short of following it for the whole trip. I also tend to use them around farms to keep grain and livestock trains using seperate platforms so theres no chance of one type taking up most of the spots.

Not really needed anymore to stop trains getting lost, but still plenty of uses for them.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Maybe dragging should make 1 big waypoint instead of seperate waypoints, while building 1 by 1 would make seperate.
honnza
Engineer
Engineer

Post by honnza »

Akalamanaia wrote:Maybe dragging should make 1 big waypoint instead of seperate waypoints, while building 1 by 1 would make seperate.
I love this idea.
init
Engineer
Engineer

Post by init »

sc79 wrote:I use them often to force certain trains onto certain tracks
I agree. I especially use them to force long-distance or cargo trains onto passthrough tracks past inline stations, so that trains that are not supposed to stop at a certain station does not add to the traffic jam at the station entry and exit points.
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

sometimes u don`t want the train to take a direct route. I sometimes use them to make trains bypass a very busy part of the network and take a diffrent route.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

i thought i heard it was impossible with the current implementation. and it wasnt going to be done because of ttdpatch compatable non-stop handleing.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”