Crash to Desktop

Problems with Transport Tycoon?
jeffers
Engineer
Engineer

Crash to Desktop

Post by jeffers »

Hi all

I just re-installed this game after what must be a couple of years off. It's probably the second best game ever made and I can't believe the community that's still active for it!

Anyway, I have the Windows version and have patched it with TTDpatch, (I'm on Windows XP) and it works - only thing is it crashed to desktop (Illegal operation) everytime I place pre-signals, and also at random times during the game (normally after about 5-10 minutes). It also crashes when I try to load a savegame that wasn't saved on this PC.

Any help would be much appreciated...
Omnislash
Forum Co-Founder
Forum Co-Founder

Post by Omnislash »

If you try and load a game that wasn't done with the patch it can crash. But I'm not sure about the signals.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

Hey... welcome to this board... its nice that people still want to play TTD... we all love it. :mrgreen:
Never fear, I is here...
jeffers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeffers »

I remember making a lost of loads of imporvements I wanted in the game about 4-5 years ago...there wasnt much going on the internet for TTD then so I kind of gave up :(

Got right back into it now though, what with 7x7 stations :shock: new trains coming up :shock: and pre-signals (which annoyingly crash my game :()...why does XP cause so many problems :evil:

I think it must be graphics related somehow, screen goes black and goes straight to desktop...nightmare
Mati
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Mati »

I've also reinstalled my TTD yesterday, i'm also having problems with my saved games and the new ships.. (my saved games from 2 days ago don't work) :cry:
Attachments
Damn.JPG
Damn.JPG (99.89 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
Regards from Argentina,
Mati Vivaldi :mrgreen:
jeffers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeffers »

Yes thats exactly the error that I get too...any ideas?
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

I had this error too.. but only when I tried to load Spiffs-error-game... never had this with one of my own games... I dont have the new ships installed... only the game and the patch.. BTW my pre-signals are off cause it gets all stuck when youre making complicated junctions with nearly enough space to put one train between several signs...
This settings have never caused any problems by creating new games... some of my older games work also.... haven't tried them all...
8)
Never fear, I is here...
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Hi and welcome, glad you found this forum

What you can do is send the savegame, together with the config file and the version (written down) you are using to the patchman (aka Josef Drexler) himself, or Marcin who helps him

I've never had crashes with the pre-signals

I think it's XP related or directX, it's a big problem that Josef and Marcin don't have XP, they are never getting these XP error windows :cry:

What you can do, is look for the patch version that works best for your pc setup
that can help (hopefully)
you can find older versions in http://www.ttdpatch.com/old/

Oh and I hope you have the Win2K switch on in your config file :!:
Or what OS have you got ?
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
jeffers
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jeffers »

It turned out that I had a dodgy copy of the game...downloaded another copy off the net and everything works fine now, no problems at all - now just to learn what the hell these pre-signals are all about! :?
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

jeffers wrote:It turned out that I had a dodgy copy of the game...downloaded another copy off the net and everything works fine now, no problems at all - now just to learn what the hell these pre-signals are all about! :?
Pre signals make the signs go red when the train is not yet there... when the train is on its way, the signs are going red... I don't like this feature.. cause if you have a long track with one train running and no signs in it an the train is running towards a busy track.. all these trains have to wait...
Never fear, I is here...
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

I post signals every 3 squares, this way the flow of trains never stops :D
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future

Return to “Problems”