Helicopter suggestions for improvement(?)

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Oooh! That is nice. :D

At the moment I am having a bit of problems with the movement code, currently the aircraft will just get stuck somewhere instead of going to a depot - if I can't figure it out, I know someone who can though. :wink:
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

well I have the sprites needed here :wink:
Attachments
heliportsprites.PNG
heliportsprites.PNG (4.88 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Alrighty, this is what I have done so far. (See piccy) :D

The movement data for the 2x2 airport sort of works, the 3x3 airport hasn't had anything done to it yet though, also I need to add your new sprites Born Acorn. I doubt I will get anything done until tommorow night because I have an exam this afternoon and tommorow morning...

EDIT: 800th post :D
Attachments
heliports.png
heliports.png (156.69 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
latinoloco
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by latinoloco »

Niiiiice. mad helipads. its good having two sizes. like upgrading airports.

nice work lucaspiller and born acorn :wink:
MEMBER 6772
ElectricA4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ElectricA4 »

I think both of them would be good for the game.
Good work!
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Wow, that's great! I'm just wondering how did you manage to build more than 2 airports per town...
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

The magic of the forward slash. :D
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Another taster image. :D The movement data isn't working correctly, but just a quick 3 min hack together to look good.
Attachments
tada.png
tada.png (38.93 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

looking good :P
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

lucaspiller wrote:The magic of the forward slash. :D
Please tell me :?

Anyway, this is great!
I hope this will be submitted both to the Integrated Nightly, then to the trunk (when? oh dear darth papa, when?)
Invisble
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Invisble »

Looking very good and very impressive at the moment.

However I do have some questions and idea's to play around with.

First the questions.

1). Will these heliports become avialable at differant times much like the small/City/Metropolitan and Interantion Airports do at the moment?

2). Will there be an intermediate heliport with just 2 helipads and a depot in?

And now some idea's

1). How about the possibility of adding new heliports to the larger sized heliports as and when needed (i.e having a heliport with 3 which is busy, then adding in a 4 landing slot to improve passanger waiting times and then if needed the ability to add in a 5th heliport if required?).

2). You have 2 free "spots" on the large 3 pad heliport, with which you can easily fill to create a 5 port heliport (see Image).

And I think that is about it, for the time being. :D
Attachments
heliport showing the places where 2 new landing/takeoff pads can go and the paths that an aircraft would take to reach the differant pads.
heliport showing the places where 2 new landing/takeoff pads can go and the paths that an aircraft would take to reach the differant pads.
heliports_122a.png (371.49 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
heliports_122a.png (371.49 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
ElectricA4
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ElectricA4 »

I not sure whats being planned but I would suspect the 2x2 heliport would be availible at the same time as the regular heliport (1963: three years after the city airport) simply because you need it for the depot. The larger 3x3 heliport could be introduced later, say, 1983 which is three years after the metropolitin airport.

I agree with you on being able to link 1x1 heliports to other heliports, but I'm not sure if people agree.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

The Helicopters will laod and unload on the pads. People will walk or take the bus to the terminal, like they do at real Heliports. The gap between the pads and the building is for Helis to go to the Hangar. There is to be a building between the hngar and the Terminal - the tower.
Seven Force
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seven Force »

MeusH wrote:
lucaspiller wrote:The magic of the forward slash. :D
Please tell me :?

Code: Select all

// do not execute this line
Anyway, the new heliports look great! Release a compiled version so we can try it out when the programming is done for the other heliports. :)
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

ahhh lol so you removed "if airport_count > 2... do not make next airport"?
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

any progess happening on this? Ive been away for two weeks so somebody fill me in.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Yum. :)

I also think that a whole new 'class' of stations should be created. Normally, towns won't allow you to have more than 3 airports in it, but heliports are regarded as airports, which is really lame. You should be able to have at least 3 airports and 3 separate heliports, and you should be able to link heliports with airports, rather than get the 'airports too close together' error message. What do you think?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Not really, DarkVater has been really busy, so has only had a chance to give me a few comments and not actually try and fix it up. I think Celestar has an idea of how to the airport stuff works so I might bug him. :roll:
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

Cool :).

My aircraft queueing patch includes queueing for helicopters - once this stuff is done, it would be nice to get feedback to see how well my patch works with the new heliports, or if it needs adjustments.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Celestar is making that new mega-airport, isn't he?

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”