New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:
Brupje: for brown spots of mud or dead grass or anything else that isn't in the original, these need new tiles. If I add them to one tile the repetition would look terrible. So for the time being let’s just talk replacement rather than additional features, cause its a big enough challenge in itself.

fair enough.
actually the original graphics have space for about 3-4 random/different tiles i think.

they have been filled with things like bumpy ground tiles, and stuff. this was because i think the original artists had simialr issues as we do now.

so yes there is space for variation.

Alltaken
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Tweaked some, added bushes and seats
Attachments
demo.png
demo.png (162.25 KiB) Viewed 14331 times
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Alltaken: I think before going crazy with new things, I'll wait for that number to rise slightly. 3 or 4 sprites isn't much to play with.

I agree that bumps are there to break up the tileing. I think thats why theres 5 variations of the flat bump tile, not because its interesting, but it breaks the tileing up. I have done all the bump tiles also. There in the tar.

Burpje: I find the overall shape of the building really interesting, and a break away from the square grid lines, but I think elements of it could do with some finer detail, although smooth edges and simplicity is a key factor for modern buildings so in that sence, it works.
Ben
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

added finer detail ;) This render is at 100% and took an devestating 1:10 hours. Anyone got a render farm? :p
Attachments
demo.png
demo.png (651.55 KiB) Viewed 1134 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

What about adding some lights at the plaza? :wink:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
MrDowntempo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MrDowntempo »

The logo in the plaza looks like its overlayed on the image and not painted or embossed into the cement. The windows and their glass could use a little more detail to be convincing. Also the area above the entrance would be a great spot to put some signs, or maybe a large industrial globe!
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

I disagree, the entrance is good as it is. This is a rather ordinary office building, a large globe would be something for a multinational. The only area that needs improvement is with the windows.
Silky
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silky »

If using blender, try using a reflection map for the windows (so that is white on the map where the windows are). If that still looks odd(or too gray), blend across the windows so that it is whiter in the centre and fades to black in a circular pattern. If that still looks crap, I'm a little bit pissed.
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

If someone is tired from playing overnight OpenTTD, or checking the forums he 'd better take this :lol: :
Attachments
0001.zip
(4.55 KiB) Downloaded 471 times
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Sergej_S
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sergej_S »

Arathorn wrote:I disagree, the entrance is good as it is. This is a rather ordinary office building, a large globe would be something for a multinational. The only area that needs improvement is with the windows.
I welcome all!

I want too to add the opinion in this theme -
The best glasses does(makes) Dmh_mac , Netherlands

I shall bring two examples of jobs of this Magnificent Artist !

Sergej
Attachments
Glass_DMH_2.png
Glass_DMH_2.png (106.73 KiB) Viewed 10631 times
Glass_DMH_1.png
Glass_DMH_1.png (76.4 KiB) Viewed 10061 times
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

yeah make the glass more realistic brumpje and its great:D
TagDaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TagDaze »

Hey, it's me again. Been a while.
I've been modeling one of the HQs again and I was wondering if there are any more official textures except for those on the Wikipage.
I can't use the blender set since I use 3ds max. So... Anyone?
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

There not actually 'Official textures' there just some textures I stuck there for people to use. What textures do you want specifically, I might have some.
Ben
TagDaze
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TagDaze »

Well, it's not that I can't just get free textures online, it's just that there seems to be a materials pack for blender, but nothing for 3ds.
Wacki
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Wacki »

Hi, I remake Samson U52. So I hope, that like you :?: :)
Attachments
Samson52_2.png
Samson52_2.png (282.19 KiB) Viewed 9662 times
Samson52.png
Samson52.png (280.17 KiB) Viewed 11881 times
Sergej_S
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Sergej_S »

Wacki wrote:Hi, I remake Samson U52. So I hope, that like you :?: :)
I welcome you, the Author!

I liked yours of the Graphics.
It is excellent!

I make additional external to the Graphics for platform OpenTTD 32bpp in the form of files GRF/TAR.

You will allow using to me yours to the Graphics in the sets.

Your authorship - is natural - it will be specified with the indication of the country, city, your electronic address is on your choice :

I look forward to hearing from the professional.

Yours faithfully.

Sergey.
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

Wacki=> nice plane, try to change the windows of the aircraft to a more glassy look? just a suggestion....
ZxBiohazardZx
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ZxBiohazardZx »

btw im trying to get the beter understanding of blender but i have a question: how do you guys start of a model?

just a idea in your head or a drawn example or?
Psistorm
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Psistorm »

Im not working specifically for OTTD, but Im basically about to do modelling for a living, in a few months, after my studies, so.. I guess I can provide some advice :)

there are several ways to start off a model:
- out of the blue, just nail down whats in your head: not the best idea, the results *might* look ok, but they definitely will have something strange about them
- from a concept artwork/sketch: a good idea, since you can refine the idea before visualizing it in 3D - be sure to check out plenty of references of similar objects, if in existance, so that you can produce a convincing model
- from blueprints/reference images: thats great for vehicles. place the blueprints in your 3d-app (there should still be a tutorial on http://www.suurland.com - otherwise check 3dtotal.com), and model from that - for the details that arent clear on the prints, use reference images. one of my preferred ways of working when doing realworld-objects (mostly vehicles) in 3D :)

hope this helps a little :)
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Wacki: Can you render in isometric (orthographic) user view, with the light setup and to scale. I think once you do that it will look so different from how it looks in those renders, than any current opinions on your renders will be kinda irrelevent.

ZxBiohazardZx: Build the model in its most basic form to start with, and make up a model out of a few basic cubes. Then recreate that over all shape with the amount of polys based on how many you think you will need for the main body shape. Then extrude and model all the elements. Then gradually add detail making it more complex layer by layer.
Ben

Return to “Graphics Development”