New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread (Works In Progress)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: New Graphics - Blender ".blend" thread

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Nice work, although I think the colours should be more saturated. i.e. more red, less pink.
Ben
athanasios
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by athanasios »

brupje: the whole wall in vehicles station is the same color. It would be better to use company color with more caution: I would either use CC for the pillars and draw the rest in other color or as a seccond option the reverse.
http://members.fortunecity.com/gamesart
"If no one is a fool I am also a fool." -The TTD maniac.

I prefer to be contacted through PMs. Thanks.
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Hi!
Nice to see all the new stuff that has been made since I last visited here :D
I just need to say that I really love the grass, its perfect, it has the same nice color as the original! Perfect! :bow:
Now, I dont mean to be barging in like an asshole and begin pointing fingers and all that but.. shouldnt the lorry loading bay be a little more.. loading-bay-ish and little less depo-ish? I really really really think the loading bay should have a loading bay, sort of like this:
http://www.safetybydesign.co.uk/loading-bay.jpg
(But dont get me wrong, the quality is excellent!, Im just conserned about the "layout", not the artwork itself)

Although love the looks of the bus station ;) Have you tried connecting the 2 glass roofs and putting more seats under them?

Im gonna take a "few" minutes and read through all the pages in this thread ive missed! :lol:

If there is anything I can do to help you guys, just ask and Ill do my best with the time I have :)
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Nice work, although I think the colours should be more saturated. i.e. more red, less pink.
How would I get that effect?
athanasios wrote:brupje: the whole wall in vehicles station is the same color. It would be better to use company color with more caution: I would either use CC for the pillars and draw the rest in other color or as a seccond option the reverse.
Well, I considered other options, but found this to be the best. I will post my blend files soon, so you can try for yourself ;)
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

I just noticed something..
http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Image ... tepack.png
Doesnt this road layout have a disturbingly familiar shape? hehe :P
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Sry for the double post but:
I would like to know if you guys think this is something I should continue on or just drop and start again. Sorry for the bad rendering :S Im not really that good with 3D apps.. Anyways its made in XSI (a long time ago) and im not sure if I should pick it up again or not...
http://mongo.cc/upload/building1.jpg
http://mongo.cc/upload/building2.jpg
Based on this building:
http://mongo.cc/upload/building3.JPG

Thanks for any feedback/comment/aggressive spitting or whatever leaves your mouth in my direction. :mrgreen:
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

hello, i have made a 3d model of an EMD F7 Aunit (and B unit but it aint rendered yet) for tropic/artic ( i know it isnt a orignal train of the game. i would attach the .blend file if it would propely attach,

hope you like it, might have to put the .blend files in a zip for you guys to get

-bazil14
Attachments
all.png
(2.49 MiB) Downloaded 914 times
trainmaster611
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by trainmaster611 »

That's awesome dude! But maybe you shouldn't have left it in the Santa Fe warbonnet scheme. The one in game seemed to resemble a Burlington Northern F7.
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

bazil14 wrote:hello, i have made a 3d model of an EMD F7 Aunit (and B unit but it aint rendered yet) for tropic/artic ( i know it isnt a orignal train of the game. i would attach the .blend file if it would propely attach,
hope you like it, might have to put the .blend files in a zip for you guys to get
Very goodlooking indeed. Indeed, you can't upload .blend files, just zip, tar or rar them.
Models like these just scream for longer trains in the extra zoom levels. And the good news is, that I'm progressing rather nicely on implementing that ( that's the reason why I haven't been very active in the extra zoom level thread recently, so it isn't dead, I'm just implementing nice extra features in the background quietly).

@Field-mouse: I think it's worth picking up again. The mesh is nice, it just needs texturing before I can judge the quality, but I'm sure you're aware of that :lol:
brupje wrote:
Ben_Robbins_ wrote:Nice work, although I think the colours should be more saturated. i.e. more red, less pink.
How would I get that effect?
By saturating the colours of the original sprite more. If you make the original sprite white, or grey, no company colours will be applied. If you make it more saturated, more company colour saturation will be applied ( that is, in my patch, in trunk all company colours will just replace the original pixels) .
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Field-Mouse: It'd be great if you continued with those models (is that the same model as one you posted years ago?) I'd encourage you to stick at it and get some graphics into game, because you clearly have the modelling capabilities, and good eye for things. If your still using SI then you will need to make an equivalent light set-up, so I would suggest switching to max or blender (personally I'd say max), and this would save you a lot of work.

bazil14: Like the train, although the shine seems to make the shadows vary heavily which looks a little odd, but apart from that they work well.

brupje: ...as Geektoo said...
Ben
brupje
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by brupje »

I think I liked the lower saturnation better
Attachments
Screenshot-1.png
(1.98 MiB) Downloaded 969 times
blend.zip
source files + rename.txt
(2.56 MiB) Downloaded 234 times
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

That seems to look completely different, the noise is very much more apparent, but there also seems less variation in colour/tone to let the texture come through. I've photoshoped it to more like what I was proposing. It's more saturated, and hue varied so it's more blue, less violet. I've then increased the texture.
Attachments
test-depot.png
test-depot.png (752.44 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Ben
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

I can't say anything to graphics but I have few questions: Ben why are you using that grass? You've created beautiful grass too and that one does not match with roads. And second one: how to move camera in blender? I wanted to render single parts of airports and release another tar but I can't do it, because I don't know how to move that camera.

@EDIT: I tried to add grid lines to grass ( manually. If there's easier way to do that in GIMP, please write it ). What do you think?
Attachments
gridlines.png
gridlines.png (203.9 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
Field-Mouse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Field-Mouse »

Thanks for the answers.
Hmm, maybe Ill try out 3DS Max.. or Blender.. or.. make a new light set :)
We'll see. hehe :P
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Soeb: The image that I attached was just an edit of brupje's screen shot, not one of my own...
Ben
DeletedUser5
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by DeletedUser5 »

Oh OK. I thought it wasn't. However: is there any other way to do grid lines?
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

Can't help you with gimp, but maybe there is an equivalent to the photoshop method I used. I recorded a set of actions for making 1 border on 1 sprite, and repeated it for all at that zoom level. So long as all the actions you do can be done as commands, and don't involve clicking in specific spots or moving the mouse in specific ways you can do just about anything this way. In PS, I used the blending options to make the border...although the feathered edging created by the grass made it considerably harder so there were many stages, but alltakens tiles are ideal for this method as there flat.
Ben
GeekToo
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GeekToo »

Another update of dmh_mac's house: 2 houses per tile iso 4, darker windows
Attachments
1518_z0.png
1518_z0.png (60.71 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
bazil14
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bazil14 »

@Geektoo: looking great :)

i got the train done and i think its working well, it replaces the centanial in artic and tropical ( i just replaced the one it looks like most like it as none of the trains in artic/trop are named with their real life equivilents)

special thanxs goes to Ben and Geektoo for helping me out in the pngcodec thread. and very special thnx for Geektoo for creating the wonderfull patch that without it the train wouldnt work.

(its in a rar below, couldnt get tars to work propely)

offsets may be a tad off, and they only work if when you have two engine that they face away from each other (use ctrl click to turn them around)

_bazil14
Preview.png
Preview.png (414.25 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
Attachments
F7aunitbazil14.rar
(571.87 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
Ben_Robbins_
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ben_Robbins_ »

bazil14: Look nice, although I think it could do with a bit more texture work. For a .tar to work you need to tar the sprites 'within' the nessessery sub-folders. So the sprites are within 'trg1r' which is in 'Sprites'. Then just stick this tar folder in the data folder and it should work.

Geektoo: Some nice textures there (roof/bridges). only 2 things really. The soil texture on the flower beds would be better just with way more noise and maybe less green; and I still think the windows could be darker. I think having them almost black tends to work best, with a hint of blue. (Really need to standardise this)

That sprite also makes me wonder about lining up roads to them. It's currently not possible, but I wonder if we should try making some standard alignments to make tarmac line up to so that in the future we could make addition road sprites so that the parking becomes an extension of the road. It sounds minor but I think the effect would be good as the sprites link and flow together better.
Ben

Return to “Graphics Development”