[RFD] Station and Industry directions (edited!)

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[RFD] Station and Industry directions (edited!)

Post by Hyronymus »

Let's taunt our minds one more time. We've been very specific in writing about diagonal bridges in the FRD. For some reason noone felt the urge to ponder about diagonal stations. I personally won't dislike them but I foresee some issues. First, city roads would need diagonal pieces too and second, as a direct result, there should be triangular buildings to fill the corners. The last thing I could think of is how to treat the squares that contain a station on half of the tiles. So where do we stand according to station directions?
Last edited by Hyronymus on 27 Feb 2005 21:12, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I think they should go in any direction the track can, or at least more than the 2 we have in TTD and Loco. As for buildings, it can be a bit like a jigsaw puzzle. Find a gap? Fill it in :)
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

It should be possible to designate any arbitrary section of track as belonging to a station as long as there's room enough around the track to actually build the station around the track there. This, I think, would solve any problems with station directions we might have.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

If we have buildings and track in any direction, why not stations? Ofcourse this is not really decided yet.

I think stations should be able to be build in any direction tracks can be laid. The only "real" problem is, how to calculate catchment area then.
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

From the FRD:
Stations have a catchament area, which is a round area around the station.
So I doubt it will be calculated the same way as TTD catchment areas anyway.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I added industries to the topic title. Should industries be constructed in all possible directions too?
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Doesn't matter with industries, they can just be the same as normal buildings.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Industries don't really have directions. They just sit there and consume/produce cargo. As such, there's no need to consider whether industries should have directions. :)
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

I think this is turning into a question of whether buildings can be rotated arbitrarily on the grid. We'll probably have to allow that.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I can't deny that, jfs. But the question then might be should there be unlimited rotation for industries and limited rotation for stations (limited to the track directions)?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I think railway and road stations/terminals has to be limited to be placed in the same direction as the track it is placed on.

Airports are pretty free, and could follow the same rules as normal buildings/ or a stricter way with 4 axels, to simplify placement of modules.

Pires (docks) should be placed at a angel of 90 degre from the cost.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

zuu wrote:I think railway and road stations/terminals has to be limited to be placed in the same direction as the track it is placed on.
That certainly makes sense, but on the other side, that means we would have to allow them to be built in any orientation that the track allows. So, if track can be built in any direction over 360 degrees, stations would have to do the same.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

ChrisCF wrote:That certainly makes sense, but on the other side, that means we would have to allow them to be built in any orientation that the track allows. So, if track can be built in any direction over 360 degrees, stations would have to do the same.
With a 3D engine it's no problem (even more natural) to rotate buildings in any direction. That's one of the main differences between 3D and sprite-oriented games.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

But track isn't allowed to be build in any direction, is it? I thought there were 8 directions if we choose rectangular tiles and 12 if we choose triangular tiles.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Hyronymus wrote:But track isn't allowed to be build in any direction, is it? I thought there were 8 directions if we choose rectangular tiles and 12 if we choose triangular tiles.
When was this decided ? The last after-meeting comment in the thread cell-based <=> freedom mentions the discussion should continue on the forum.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Looks like you haven't been reading all the topics :)

It's only 8 directions for rectangle if you choose the simpliest of designs. Even the simplier version of mine offers many many more.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Minutes for the FRD special meeting of Mars 12, 2005 wrote:- 3. [RFD] Station & Industry directions (edited)
  • Hellfire: I say, stations can fit around any piece of track in the game. Industry's follow the same rules as town buildings.
  • Steve & Zuu agrees
  • No one objects
Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)

Return to “Transport Empire Development”