[FRDF] Who builds airports? [REVOTE]: outside towns

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

[FRDF] Who builds airports? [REVOTE]: outside towns

Post by Zuu »

On the last meeting we agreed to make a revote of who will build airports out of towns. The reason is that we thought that many people didn't knew what they voted on.

So, vote for who builds the airport, who can initiate the construction and who owns airports outside towns:
  • A Local authorities initiate, construct and own airports
    B Local authorities initiate and construct airports, offering them to players
    C Local authorities construct and own airports, players initiate the construction
    D Local authorities initiate and own airports, players construct them
    E Local authorities initiate airports, players construct them and own them
    F Local authorities construct airports, players initiate and own them
    G Local authorities own airports, players initiate and construct them
    H Players initiate, construct and own airports
Where "Local authorities" = factories, goverment or other authorities outside towns.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I vote G.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

I vote H
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

I want players to initiate and build the airports. I don't care who owns them.

I vote G for now, but I'll change it to H if H has more votes than G, but needs extra votes to make it.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Hmm, that's not fair :(.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I vote H.

What exactly does the LA do with airports that it "owns"? If the player constructs it, presumably they'll be responsible for expanding and maintenence etc.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

think real:
in Real life there are airports built by private companies aswell by authorites ... mostly one airport is being used by many companies
there are diffirent types of airports ... the smallest one are just some plain flat grass that allows land very small vehicles, the biggest ones are uniform airports (here I can remind a mod for SimCity 4 that allowed building uniform airports, taxiways, landing strips, terminals)

I think the best solution would be that:
aiports cost extremly much, they can be build by (quiet rich) authority and by player
(whoever is an owner will get small amount of money, depending on plane size,if other company's plane lands there)

either authority or player can be owner of that airport, also both can construct, and airports can be sold/expanded

my vote go to A+H because it's the best idea if you ask me
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

power to the player !

power to the industries !

A and H should both be possible. Some industries think they would benefit from an airport, so they build one (=> H). Some industries don't need one, but the player thinks they need one, let the player build one (=> A).
Arathorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Arathorn »

G
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

PJayTycy wrote:power to the player !

power to the industries !

A and H should both be possible. Some industries think they would benefit from an airport, so they build one (=> H). Some industries don't need one, but the player thinks they need one, let the player build one (=> A).
I think you've got that the wrong way around!
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Steve wrote:I think you've got that the wrong way around!
Yes I have :oops:
Doesn't matter for my vote though.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Eavben thoght I voted H I have nothing aginst H AND A. (just a note, as I won't bee at the wonderfull meeting.)
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Remember that an airport won't be in the middle of a town. Sites like Heathrow are the exception, and not the rule. In reality, the concept of "outside a town" is entirely moot, unless two given towns are so far away that there might be no-man's land between them.

Ultimately, the decision on who owns the airport and who can run services there is down to the landowners. This may be the county council or the company behind the local industry. If nobody owns the land, it becomes yours, and you have total control over it.

That said, on the scales we're looking at, air transport of some cargoes would be impractical, and the running costs of the aircraft should be such that this is the case. After all, you wouldn't load shedloads of coal onto a plane, when there's more economical ways of moving it.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

ChrisCF wrote:That said, on the scales we're looking at, air transport of some cargoes would be impractical, and the running costs of the aircraft should be such that this is the case. After all, you wouldn't load shedloads of coal onto a plane, when there's more economical ways of moving it.
The issue is that some cargo is more sensitive to the speed of transportation than others. Coal would be among the least sensitive and passengers among the most sensitive.

sorry for OT

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”