Sprite-gfx requested for 'cloning' and 'shared orders'

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

skidd13 wrote: Just give me a hint in which direction you wanna the clone button (single button for all vehicle typ's)! ;) Or is nothing needed anymore?
1).
Alternatively:
2).

I really like number of the first batch 3 (the one with the star, bottom-left) skidd13. The only problem is the newspaper behind the star, it looks more like 'cloning' orders not vehicles. I agree it is very hard to find a general icon that symbolizes cloning of vehicles (only sheep and the cloning stamp spring to mind :P), but do you have more ideas perhaps? If not, we'd be forced ;) to use 4 cursors for the four vehicle types, but I am somehow not too keen on that. I really like #3's concept.

A bit off-topic regarding this thread, but a question about the shared-orders icon here:
1).
2).
I like the button of 1). and the left-most button of 2). The only question is, should these be used instead of the current small train/road/air/ship icons?

I think positively because this symbolizes 'shared orders' which the button actually stands for. However the other such similar buttons like in the depot window with vehicles to that depot or to that station use the vehicle-type buttons. Both have to do with orders, albeit not (neccessarily) shared. The station window needs the vehicle types since you have four buttons there. What do you guys think?
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I just have a little suggestion (not graphics, I'm ok, but it's according these graphics ;))

=> As the new features graphics are not always perfect, I think it should be very interesting to always add tooltips for these "new" buttons.

=> By exemple, I'm new to OTTD, and I spend my time to wonder which button will do what, and how I did to do something several minutes ago...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

MagicBuzz wrote:=> As the new features graphics are not always perfect, I think it should be very interesting to always add tooltips for these "new" buttons.

=> By exemple, I'm new to OTTD, and I spend my time to wonder which button will do what, and how I did to do something several minutes ago...
true and I tend to add tooltips for the new buttons I add. Right click on the buttons to show them.

Now back to the sprite topic.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Darkvater wrote:...
1).
Alternatively:
2).
I really like number of the first batch 3 (the one with the star, bottom-left) skidd13. The only problem is the newspaper behind the star, it looks more like 'cloning' orders not vehicles. I agree it is very hard to find a general icon that symbolizes cloning of vehicles (only sheep and the cloning stamp spring to mind :P), but do you have more ideas perhaps? If not, we'd be forced ;) to use 4 cursors for the four vehicle types, but I am somehow not too keen on that. I really like #3's concept.
I think consistence in mind the 4 diffrent icons should be used. But if you prefer the single icon here is the sheep version.
Attachments
new3.png
new3.png (1.52 KiB) Viewed 2500 times
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

skidd13 wrote:But if you prefer the single icon here is the sheep version.
wow, some of those are really great. They don't match the game very well though. It's possible that we will use the 4 different icons, but the animated might result in too many sprites. They look cool though.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

maybe it could be the cursor for a new cheat, clone farm. :D
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

Bjarni wrote:They don't match the game very well though.
Agreed. Maybe something more abstract. =)
Attachments
new4.png
new4.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 2474 times
What does that mean - the circumstances? I determine what circumstances prevail. -- Napoleon Bonaparte
---
If we cannot end now our differences, at least we can help make the world safe for diversity. -- John F. Kennedy
---
Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings. -- John F. Kennedy
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I very like humour in games.
So, I'm with the sheep :)
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MeusH wrote:I very like humour in games.
So, I'm with the sheep :)
I think the sheep is easy to understand. So here is a preview and the openttd.grf file to test it.
Attachments
openttd.grf
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
preview.png
preview.png (20.36 KiB) Viewed 2354 times
---
---
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

The sheep may need some fuziness on their fur.
Now they look similiar to Image :P

Nevertheless, the sheep rock the world, keep up :)
mexicoshanty
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mexicoshanty »

f*** yeah, the sheep are good.
Loop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Loop »

Sheep are great! Now only (a little bit) funny, but also immediatly clear and understandable: "clone!"

And the gfx look nice.
skidd13
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by skidd13 »

MeusH wrote:The sheep may need some fuziness on their fur.
Better?
Attachments
preview.png
preview.png (18.05 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
---
---
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Yeah, smoother :wink:
On the other hand, I don't know what developers think on that and I don't want you to loose your time adding shadows on the sheep (chest and belly should be darker than a side)
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

I do like the sheep, don't know how other people feel about it. It was actually just a funny remark though regarding cloning :).
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

I don't really associate sheep with cloning. I associate them with wool, and I don't think you can get trains made of wool...
I think the classic 2 trains still works best.
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Yeah, I too wouldn't assciate Sheep with cloning. The identical trains "sold" it more.

That, and the sheep really don't fit in with the TTD Style.
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

Born Acorn wrote:That, and the sheep really don't fit in with the TTD Style.
I thought the welsh liked sheep? :roll: :lol:

*runs and hides* sorry!
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

XeryusTC wrote:I don't really associate sheep with cloning. I associate them with wool, and I don't think you can get trains made of wool...
I think the classic 2 trains still works best.
So you are willing to have the train-icon for cloning aircraft? Doesn't that look a bit odd to say the least?

I don't know where you guys live but sheep are synonymous with cloning (Dolly anyone?) Especially if you see two identical sheep somewhere. We can discuss if these icons fit with the game, but not if sheep==cloning because that is a fact.
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

I heard a theory (think it was Bill bailey) that sheep have already been cloned a lot, but nobody has notice, because no-one really pays that much attention... :?
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site

Return to “Graphics Development”