Request for steam train research
The steam trains currently are a bit underrepresented in both the set and the infosheet. Therefore I would like to ask for help finding information about the Dutch steam trains in order to get a nice selection of steamers to go into the set as well as an infosheet that is as complete as possible.
So, what can you do if you want to help:
- Look at the infosheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... Wp4NzJ2enc
- Search for missing properties: for each row that has a train name up front, we need all the cells from "introduced" to "tender weight" filled in order to code the vehicle correctly.
- The "terminated" column indicates the year in which the train was last used in commercial service. If you find multiple values for power, speed, TE, then pick the highest one.
- Some trains have had multiple liveries. If that is the case, we need for each livery when it was first seen in commercial service.
- If the information for instance only specifies "livery introduced at the beginning of the 30s", then make a guesstimate and add a question mark to the year you chose. Then we know it's not entirely accurate, but then we can use it until something better pops up.
- We need some more steamers.
- You can figure out what series are interesting to add to the set. Series with a high engine count are always good.
- Small series are particularly nice if there is a large gap in the introduction of new engines.
- And of course find the same properties for this to-be-drawn engine.
If you're interested in helping out, then just copy the table from the infosheet to a spreadsheet. Save it to some format MS Excel can open and I'll then merge the information back into the infosheet. You can also just make a forum post with a list of properties you've found.
If you're also interested in doing research on cargo wagons later on, then send me a PM for editing rights of the infosheet (I need the email address of your Google account).
All small bits help! No need to find everything that is missing in one go!
I did a small search on the internet, there is a book about Dutch steam trains that is referred to in all Dutch Wikipedia articles I saw on steam trains from the Netherlands, called:
Maybe someone has that book (or looking to broaden his/her book collection on Dutch trains), they have it in the Royal Library in The Hague and the library of the University of Utrecht (inspection only at the Royal Library, can't find it for the University), or for approximately €20,-- for the last edition at
I will take a look at all (or at least a number of) steam trains on Wikipedia somewhere coming week and add interesting trains (+missing properties if I find them) to the infosheet. I already have editing rights, so if you see something pop up coming week, it might be me