Belgian town names

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

OliTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Belgian town names

Post by OliTTD »

PaulC wrote:IMHO it wouldn't be worth doing each region seperatley because each set would be relatively small,…
That is true, but I did just that yesterday as an exercise (after all, this is my first NML ;)), the result is attached hereunder. These province sets could be good enough for smaller maps.
it would only be worth doing if you had a larger, more comprehensive list of all Belgian towns and villages, and that's not something that I personally have much interest in.
Mmh, I could do that if I had the proper lists. Back in 1830, when Belgium was created, there were 2300+ municipalities, only 9 provinces, no regions and no language border. It could be nice to have such a version…
Another set that could be playable is one with the 134 cities of the country ('city' being an official, honorific title for a municipality in Belgium).
Attachments
AllBelgianTownNames-b2.zip
All Belgian town names (.grf + .nml + .lng)
Selectable by country, regions, provinces
(13.29 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

17 sets! :shock: That seems a bit overkill IMO, especially when some have as few as nine names. Definitely no good for TTDPatch either...

I'd be surprised if some bigger lists wern't lurking on the net somewhere. Perhaps the French or Dutch Wikipedia? Another option would be to incorporate the alternative Dutch Walloon and French Flemish names somehow.
ProDigit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ProDigit »

@Olliettd,
I feel kind of sorry for all your effort you put in there, but,

If you had told me, I'd love to have helped!

See, making a list of towns is pretty easy once you have some sort of site online with all the data you need.
You could have selected, and copied this list:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lijst_van_ ... ams_Gewest
and pasted it into an excel document.
Then just copy the first column, and paste it into Microsoft Wordpad,and save it to a txt file.

Doing so you get rid of tables and formatting.

Then just open the file into any word editor and replace all double spaces with a single space, and you'd have a preliminary list ready within 5 minutes!

Or you could further refine it in Notepad++, by using it's extensive search and replace, as one of the best of word editing s&R engines!

Doing this I could have created a towns-list within 5-10 minutes, the process is not intensive, but a lot better than doing it manually!
ProDigit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ProDigit »

For an extensive list, you can search via postal code here:
http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postnummers_in_Belgi%C3%AB

If anyone needs this list converted to a text file with just the names, let me know.
I could do it.

Edit: This one almost has a complete list ready:http://www.go2.be/postcode_zoeken.php

Return to “Graphics Development”