I want to use "Aircraft Range"

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LSky
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: I want to use "Aircraft Range"

Post by LSky »

PikkaBird wrote:The minimum useful aircraft range is 96 tiles, imo, and that only barely. Thus scaling the ranges down so fewer aircraft can cross smaller map sizes seems silly; of course most airliners should be able to travel more than 3 times the range of the shortest-range aircraft (especially considering this set doesn't think commercial aviation started with the DC-3 :roll: ).

Actually, I don't see this feature changing most OpenTTD players' behaviour at all, since most players just spam the largest aircraft, and those are also the aircraft with the longest range.
Well that can be changed right? Reduce the range of the aircraft with the highest capacity.
Michi_cc
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Michi_cc »

PikkaBird wrote:Actually, I don't see this feature changing most OpenTTD players' behaviour at all, since most players just spam the largest aircraft, and those are also the aircraft with the longest range.
Comes down again to the decision between realism and game play. If you go by the real world, it's indeed big aircraft == long range (with very few exceptions).

-- Michael Lutz
Ailure
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Ailure »

PikkaBird wrote:Actually, I don't see this feature changing most OpenTTD players' behaviour at all, since most players just spam the largest aircraft, and those are also the aircraft with the longest range.
Actually I see nothing wrong with "jumbojets" being profitable at a long range like usual (and as in real life). As long they're unprofitable at a relatively short distances with hefty build/maintenance costs. I don't really care about other people's habits, as long I use a aircraft set that allows me to use a mix of vehicles successfully and profitable (assuming I use them right), I am happy. :) Infact the range system would be a good excuse to give smaller aircrafts lower costs in average, you just have much more limited range!

If the concern is vehicle spamming, then some dynamic cost inflation system would be probably best, the more you buy of something, the more expensive it gets (might be a interesting mechanic in a multiplayer game, but this might wind up feeling a bit too artificial to players).
Junafani
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Junafani »

So, now we have ranges for aircraft? Next upgrade is to add fuel usage for other vehicles? Refueling would be possible at stations or depots. :lol:

and I could turn reliability off while having trains still going toi depot for maintanence!
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

Junafani wrote:and I could turn reliability off while having trains still going toi depot for maintanence!
Huh, you want totally unreliable trains that break down all the time?

Anyways, there is a setting to "disable servicing when break downs are off". if you turn that off, your trains will visit depots for servicing and refueling.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”