NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

V453000 :)
President
President

Re: NUTS!!! Let's go NUTS!!!

Post by V453000 :) »

lawton27 wrote:
V453000 :) wrote:
APDAF wrote:How about a Lartigue Monorail type train?
Looks too old for 2000+ monorails in my opinion
Isn't this set supposed to be nuts? :lol:
With some borders... I think things that are "too nuts" towards being super-funny turn to be retarded and not funny in a matter of time
ImageImageImage
APDAF
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by APDAF »

It worked for over 40 years.
Visit my screenshot thread--> http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=54118
If you want to have a go at War Thunder, PM me, I have an invite code.
President
President

APDAF wrote:It worked for over 40 years.
As I said, I absolutely do not take in regard realistic values. I meant that if you use the train set as your serious favourite train set for many games, the "funny" engines get dull over time.
ImageImageImage
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

So basically, this set is supposed to have fictional trains like trains that practically could work IRL and are similar to real-world trains OR trains that look cool, but would be impractical or using mechanics not frequently used IRL (like diesel locos with valve gears) OR silly stuff (hence NUTS)?

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
President
President

Drury wrote:So basically, this set is supposed to have fictional trains like trains that practically could work IRL and are similar to real-world trains OR trains that look cool, but would be impractical or using mechanics not frequently used IRL (like diesel locos with valve gears) OR silly stuff (hence NUTS)?
To say it most basically:

1. The set is meant to be functional.
* It has the systematic train table to make that work best.
* There are some special functional features.

2. The set has to look somehow
Given that I do not know nor care about real trains, I am free to make _anything_ that looks nice.
This leads to a few points:
* "Unused" or "impractical" trains from real life are not considered..
* Mechanics, physics or anything else is not important what so ever for the futuristic trains.
* Rail trains should look "normally" - just like normal trains do
* Modern trains should look weird as they are futuristic.
* Trains should not have features such as valve gears as you say - these things would be like 1px anyway.
Silly stuff can be done only in the extreme cases such as modern "bonus engines" which come in years like 2050 when the game is in very advanced state. Otherwise I find super-silly stuff rather bad, since it would become less funny with increasing age of the newgrf.

To conclude it:
The set is meant to be something very well playable and the graphical form is "just something to make it look somehow". But it should look somewhat seriously, not super-silly.
ImageImageImage
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Well, most newgrf steam trains do have valve gears, even animated.

About impractical and unused trains... They don't have to be only from real life. Best example of what I mean would be Kirov airship from Red Alert universe - giant and hard to destroy bomber airship, deployed almost everywhere. It's super cool, but such thing would never happen in real life. You can't put infinite bombs in airships, as they can't lift much, not even considering heavy shield.

Fictional diesel train with valve gears would be something similar. In real life they would be so weak they wouldn't even be able to carry their own weight, but here they might be the strong class train.

Right now I'm talking only about looks of the set - functionality will come later.

Only dumb people quote themselves, and only the truest retards put such quotes in their forum signatures
-Drury
Sufkop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sufkop »

Why is'nt there a train set with trains that were never built? (For 32bpp)
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Sufkop wrote:Why is'nt there a train set with trains that were never built? (For 32bpp)
Because nobody made that. :wink:
Sufkop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sufkop »

Then why nobody does that?
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Because nobody is interested in doing that.

People that make things for free do that in the first place for themselves. They release it for others to enjoy because they want to share, not because somebody asked to do so. This means you cannot demand anything, as you didn't pay for anything either. Basically if you want what you want, you have to make it yourself. Or alternatively post a suggestion and then sit still and quiet hoping that somebody will pick up your idea.
Sufkop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sufkop »

Nobody is interested in that? That's not true! I do!!
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I would suspect that the main reason that nobody has developed more trains for 32bpp is because the 32bpp project is a) very, very far from being anywhere close from finished and b) a pain in the neck to install. Honestly, if they could get their documentation straight on which files you need and how to set it up, that would be a huge boon in and of itself.

However, don't fall back on the excuse that you don't know how to do it. Nobody else knew how to do any of these things either when they started. Those who are currently developing new code, new graphics, etc. already have their hands full with the projects that they learned to develop, as well as their own personal and work lives. If you want to see it, then you will most likely have to do it yourself. However, don't let it discourage you. If others have learned it, so can you, and if you need help along the way, you can always ask here in the forums as well as the IRC chat room.
Sufkop
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sufkop »

I'm not going to do it, because those trains are not worth it on that scale. You can't even recognise them!
President
President

Sufkop wrote:I'm not going to do it, because those trains are not worth it on that scale. You can't even recognise them!
Then why do you even request it ... seriously
ImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

I guess because he has his nickname for a reason :lol:
President
President

Anyway, let's get back to some more constructive discussion.

How about these 4/8 wagons? Thoughts, opinions, ideas?
Attachments
MaglevWagons_Flatbed01_preview.png
MaglevWagons_Flatbed01_preview.png (15.79 KiB) Viewed 872 times
ImageImageImage
FooBar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by FooBar »

Very impressive! Especially like the ducks, how do you come up with such stuff? :D
Drury
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Drury »

Ok, I think I'm slooooooowly getting point of this...

TOYLAND 2

-Drury

Return to “Graphics Development”